Harper Region is temporarily a private site! Registration is temporarily disabled due to big site updates and due to both admins' life schedules -- moving and degree completion and internships. :) If you need to set up a new account or really, really, really want to register, email Rosalie at orosaliearto@gmail.com with "Harper" in the subject line !

Welcome to Harper Region

Important Links

Staff

Character Count: 101
Ml: 48 - Fml: 51 - Oth: 2
OR - 14 | R - 17 | H - 47 | G - 23

Quick Updates

Weather Conditions

Season: Autumn

With the cooling season of Autumn, Ice-types are starting to re-emerge from their hibernation as Ghost-, Normal-, and Flying-types swarm in the largest numbers they will all year. In comparison, wild Fire- and Bug-type populations are falling in number. The migration of Flying-types to the south in search of warmer weather has also started, as Istin City starts to re-freeze and Autumn marks the beginning of Cypwater Point's rainy season. Handlers and Rogues alike should be wary: Ghost-type powers are boosted during this season, at the cost of being more prone to their triggers.

Sister Sites

Pokemon: Terrene

Click here to vote for us once a day!
Our Topsite:
Harper Region Topsite

• Show Box
  • Hide Box

| Add Reply || New Topic || New Poll |

Adelaide Hawksworth's Travels, Derecho
Moth
 Posted: Jun 19 2016, 10:02 PM
| Quote |

the Rain-loving Volcarona
Background Mods
Total Posts: 778
Member No. 33
Joined on 19-September 11.

Characters:
Alphaea Schneider, Apollo Schilde

Awards: 5

(Welp, you're the boss... one of the bosses? You know the drill. /makes drill noises)

"Your first assignment would be to investigate a mine just east of Route Five." the Councilman said, beginning his briefing. "The miners there are citizens of Istin, and they have not been heard of since of late. Furthermore... some travelers have reported that they had seen blizzards in the direction of that mine." he said simply. The implication hung in the air--- there might just be foul play involved. While ice never really did leave the Shattersky Mountains, at this point of the year, something as intense as a blizzard would be very strange. Was it truly just a freak accident of nature, the work of a wild or a trained Pokemon, or perhaps even the malfeasance of a mage? That was for Adelaide to discover, as well as to see to the rescue of the miners, who might be trapped.

"Take your time to prepare whatever you need specifically for the mission; I trust your judgment." the official ended, even as he began to depart. "Ah, one last thing." he said, turning back. "I've assigned you... an assistant." That smallest of smiles graced the cold man's face again, and Adelaide who was experienced in dealing with him might just divine that he was... just a bit... amused. "He should be coming... about... now."

"I'm sorry I'm late!"

A young man tottered into view, looking this way and that before noticing the veteran Guardian and his patron; he seemed to have been a bit lost. "Good day, Sir Councilman Lindsey! Good day, ma'am!" he proclaimed, bowing just a bit too exaggeratedly, his face betraying the fact that he was probably very, very intimidated, maybe because of the Councilman, maybe because of the veteran trainer, or perhaps because of both. "My name is Andrew Torshall, and I've just been transferred from Navdia!" Okay, so his shivering might be less fear and more being unused to the climate. "I hope to be of assistance!"

"That's it, then. I expect great things, Guardian Hawksworth, Guardian Torshall."

"Yes, Councilman, Sir!"

With that, Adelaide was left with his new Pokemon... and a protege?

--------------------
| PM |
^
Derecho
 Posted: Jun 23 2016, 11:52 AM
| Quote |

gentle beating of mighty wings
Members
Total Posts: 65
Member No. 1696
Joined on 9-July 14.

Characters:
Adelaide Hawksworth

Awards: None

{ Egg count 1! }

Addie had had more than her fair share of investigations over the years, and not all of them being confined to Istin City. Sometimes the trail went onto other cities, onto Routes, and knowing when to follow it and when to turn the case over to another Guard was a skill, honed through experience.

Route Five. She had not been down there in a while, as tied to the barracks here and to the city itself as she was. Addie concealed a frown as she committed the details to memory, weighing the current season against pokemon that would be able to summon Blizzards. The Route would have their fair share of ice-types, what with parts of it being the Shattersky range surrounding Istin City. But with the season currently being Summer, and the miners not having been heard from since...

Addie nodded in thanks to the Councilman for the autonomy, pleased at least that even after all this time, she would be trusted to know what she was doing. A hand went to the crest sewn over her heart in an absent salute as the Councilman turned away, her mind busy turning over what supplies she would need for this trip, who she'd be able to grab as a partner from the general pool -

Ah. Addie blinked at the mention of an assistant, then sighed inwardly. An assistant, or a student? Probably both, she admitted, even as she considered the Councilman. And, as the boy approached, amended, Definitely a student. "Good day," she told Torshall, along with a nod of acknowledgement. The transfer from Navdia could be tricky, depending on the reason.

"Sir." The Guardian tapped out another salute for the Councilman as he left, and when he was gone turned to the young man (boy?) to assess him. Any weaponry he had, armor, conspicuous pokeballs at belt- or arm-holsters; as well as the way he held himself, if he was coming off a recent injury or such.

Then she gave him a smile, curved to be reassuring. "Glad to have you here, Torshall," she told him, and held out a hand for him to shake. "Though, if you don't mind me asking - why the transfer from Navdia?"

Addie wouldn't press if he refused to answer or deflected the question, instead noting it before allowing the matter to be dropped. "Has the councilman briefed you on the mission? And do you have proper Istin gear?" The last question was poised to his shivering, and if he had enough furs on him to outlast the Istinian summer, which was most certainly colder than Navdia's coldest winter.

The most pressing questions done, she would wait for his answers, or if he had any more questions of his own. What he could do, his pokemons and their abilities, his own particular skills - those could come later, when they were heading off back to the barracks so that Addie could sign out and grab any gear they needed for Torshall from the armory.

The pokeball was warm in Addie's pocket, where she had tucked it away.

--------------------
Adelaide Hawksworth
Profile & Travels & PCR

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Eryn & Seung
| PM || Email |
^
Kaia
 Posted: Jun 27 2016, 05:29 PM
| Quote |

Top Handler
Background Mods
Total Posts: 374
Member No. 2161
Joined on 29-December 15.

Characters:
Kalliope Tamsin, Namid Waagosh'Giizis

Awards: 3

{+0.7 EXP!}

Guardian Torshall dropped into another deep, moderately awkward bow when Adelaide spoke but remained silent himself. As he straightened, he affixed the slant of hair covering his eyes. If his hands trembled, it wasn't from some prior injury - as Adelaide would surely notice in her observation. Andrew was hale as a young man as could be expected. No scars, no tender spots he discretely held or favored. Other than the strange cut of his hair, no longer than chin length but uplifted at every end until it looked nearly twice its volume, he was of average appearance. Three pokeballs clipped to his belt and he favored long-range weapons, as the bow strapped to his back revealed. It was a longbow, one that nearly tapped the back of his knees when he walked. He also carried no shield and only a long knife opposite the pokeballs.

Despite the rest of his plain appearance, the knife itself had a gold-gilded handle and a supple, well-worked sheath. His light armor better fit a merchant's bodyguard than a guardian but perhaps he hadn't picked up proper gear just yet. His skin - where bare to the weather - glowed a faint pink and gooseflesh raised all the hairs on his arms. The shivering man bowed again as Councilman Lindsey departed. Spastic hair bounced all around as he straightened. He nervously pushed more from his eyes. Said gaze kept a little to the left of Adelaide, careful not to meet her eye or appear disrespectful in any way.

Anyone as intimidating as Addie had that effect. His eyes fell on her outstretched hand and his mouth popped open. Before he let anything stupid fall out, Andrew took her hand and shook. His fingers were clammy. "I'm glad to be here!" He announced, voice a little louder than was possibly necessary. He cleared his throat before answering Adelaide's question, quieter this time. "I wanted to see the city in the sky." He admitted. "I heard Istin was in need of more guardians and I immediately volunteered. No use staying close to home forever." Andrew found himself babbling and immediately quieted.

At least until Adelaide spoke again. "Councilman Lindsey did this morning. I had to finish the last of my assignment before I could meet you here." His cheeks flushed, though that could be from the cold itself. "I only just arrived two days ago, so I haven't found the time yet to get proper gear. I hadn't realized--well I knew it got cold here, but not this cold." Andrew's hands twitched at their side, as if resisting the urge to huddle up. He kept a perfectly straight spine and other than trembling from the cold, didn't move.

Andrew was a little too off-kilter to ask any questions, if his mind could calm long enough to even think any up. Instead he stood there awaiting Guardian Hawksworth's orders. At least in the way of obedience he was well-trained. If he was curious about his new partner, he kept it to himself. Other than his obvious eagerness to have a mission, and the tension in his shoulders, anything else about him was difficult to discern. Of course, he'd open up when and if Adelaide asked. Until then, he stood at her side and prepared to depart.

--------------------
Namid and his Travels
PCR

user posted image
Kalliope and her travels
Incredible sprite by Mackay!

| PM || AIM |
^
Derecho
 Posted: Jan 17 2017, 05:01 PM
| Quote |

Members
Member No. 1696
Joined on 9-July 14.

Characters:
Adelaide Hawksworth

{ Plain egg count 2, piplup egg count 11. So sorry for the short post - I couldn't justify controlling more than this. Let me know if I need to edit anything for the mods! }

A student, and a mission, at that. They were things that Addie had not had in... In a while.

(Since Rowena died, a corner of her mind hissed, and Addie pushed that away. Breathed.)

Said, "Ah, if you don't have gear, then we will head to the armory first. We can head out afterwards - Route Five and its mines are some ways from here. The Shoppe and the stables after, surely." If there were blizzards involved it would be best to request rapidash, rather than skiddo or sawsbuck. Fire would only help.

Addie strode forward to meet Malin at the gate, where he'd been waiting. The pokeball was warm, still, in her pocket, and could perhaps wait until she'd set Torshall with the Quartermaster and they had some privacy. "Everyone says that," she told the kid, not unkindly, hands in trouser-pockets and the shortsword bouncing at her side. "But then again, Istin is the northern most point of the Region. It doesn't get this cold anywhere else."

Furs, surely, and if they were walking into a blizzard then it'd be good to have a pokemon with Cloud Nine. Or Malin's own Sunny Day, perhaps, and if they had rapidash for this trip multiple 'Days would be enough.

Addie would make conversation the rest of the way - what things Torshall had heard from the Councilman, what information he knew that she didn't - and would stop outside the Quartermaster's armory. She directed him in with a wink and a, "Tell him that Hawksworth sent you and we're gearing up for a blizzard mission. Ask him for the heavy-duty set, one for you and one for me," before she leaned against the corridor walls and sighed.

Malin coughed from where he stood by her feet, only the slightest bit polite. She smiled down at him and rubbed the pokeball in her pocket, and pressed the button when the corridor was as empty as it was ever going to get.

Edwina was on her arm when Torshall was done and she'd either entered the armory or he'd exited, braced on the forearm-guard. She was heavy, which was to be expected for a Regional Legendary, she supposed, and preening.

(Her heart still felt like it was in her throat but Addie shoved that feeling down. Breathe.)

"Ready?" she asked him. The stables next, perhaps, or the Shoppe to stock up on medicinal supplies. Extras were always encouraged. And if she could convince someone in the aviary to let a swablu come along, for its Cloud Nine ability-

Well, that all depended on Torshall next. Sometimes the new kids had ideas that veterans missed; it was a fact of life. "What gear did you get?" she asked him, and pretended that having a hoothoot on her arm was the most normal thing in the world.

(It wasn't, but Torshall didn't need to know that, did he?)

--------------------
Adelaide Hawksworth
Profile & Travels & PCR

Eryn & Seung
| PM || Email |
^
Astraea
 Posted: Mar 3 2017, 11:43 PM
| Quote |

张开双手 变成翅膀
Background Mods
Total Posts: 185
Member No. 2280
Joined on 12-August 16.

Characters:
Adrian Carlisle, Silas Arington, Elena Ayton (Retired)

[ +0.7 EXP! ]

---

Despite nodding solemnly towards his new mentor at her authoritative words, Andrew couldn't help a blush coloring his cheeks. He felt bad for slowing their mission down, though it wasn't anything he could change. Hindsight and all that - he should have prepared better. Addie clearly knew what she was doing, considering her clear and concise instructions, and Andrew had no trouble following her to their first stop. The armory was fairly plain and nothing he hadn't seen before. He would make the visit as short as he was able, as there were clearly places for the duo to be.

As they headed off, Andrew began to relax a little more in the senior's presence. Though she had appeared stern and unforgiving at first, he found that he appreciated the candor and straightforwardness that she spoke with. The woman was a good conversation partner, though he had to constantly remind himself not to ramble and talk Addie's ear off. After casting a curious glance at the Houndour and nodding his understanding, Andrew hesitantly entered the Guardmaster's armory, relaying Addie's orders.

They didn't have long to wait. Addie's name was clearly a respected, well-known one, and the rookie was out in a flash. He was wearing his new armor, which was considerably warmer. In Torshall's arms was another set of armor, near identical to the one he was wearing. Smiling brightly as he spotted Addie, the younger man hustled over and offered the armor before pausing and staring, jaw falling agape. "Is - Is that - Is that a Hoothoot?" the man near shrieked entirely too loudly, his voice ringing in the open winter air.

If people had failed to notice the Regional Legendary before, they certainly would now. There were only a few other Guardians around, thankfully, and most knew enough of the renowned Guardian that they glanced away quickly. Before Addie would have much of a chance to reply, however, someone called out her name. "Guardian Hawksworth?" The call came from a nervous-looking, red-faced, rotund woman. "I hate to interrupt you, but there's a bit of an issue down the street; a fight, to be exact, and I don't really know how to separate them without hurting them so I figured I'd ask you for help...?" The woman's speech grew faster and faster as she continued, nervously shifting on her feet and ending with almost a question.

Would Addie go and help the young woman? She was clearly a rookie, with a nervous disposition similar to Torshall's. If she decided that completing her original task was more important, there were a few other Guardians that she could assign to the task instead.

Should she say yes, however, the woman would lead her and Torshall outside and down the street, which was near abandoned. A scrawny young boy, barely passing for an teenager, was scuffling with a well-muscled, but still underweight girl. "Give it back!" he was crying, barely coherent through a veil of snot and tears. "Fat chance. Finders keepers," the girl scoffed and taunted, kicking the other away from her. In her hand was a slice of bread. It would be a safe assumption that the two were street urchins - orphans that begged and stole to stay alive.

Most of the citizens had cleared away from the brawl by now, and no other Guardians were in sight. What would Addie do?

--------------------
Adrian James Carlisle | Freelance Rogue
Profile | Travels | Training | Development | PCR
Thread Tracker | Goals | Dream Team
user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image
user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image

Silas Arington | Ex-Assassin Guardian
Profile | Travels | Training | Development
Thread Tracker | Goals | Dream Team
user posted image

Elena Ayton | Retired Handler
Profile | Travels | Training | PCR | Dream Team

user posted image user posted image user posted image
| PM |
^
Derecho
 Posted: Apr 10 2017, 03:00 PM
| Quote |

Members
Member No. 1696
Joined on 9-July 14.

Characters:
Adelaide Hawksworth

{ Plain egg count 3, piplup egg count 12! }

Edwina was Not Impressed at Torshall's explanation or his shouting, if the tilt of her head was anything to go by. Addie ran the backs of her fingers down the hoothoot's chest, lightly and slowly, and swallowed down the feeling of something sharp at the back of her throat. "This is Edwina," she told the rookie, and said more quietly, "Keep your voice down. She isn't anyone for you to gawk at, lad - she's a thinking being, like you and me."

The hoothoot eyed her thoughtfully at that, but Addie was distracted by the woman running up with another problem. With, not was, because there should have been a mentor with the woman to take care of this and yet there wasn't.

"You did right," she reassured, and looked to Edwina again. Tilted her head and reconsidered.

Malin did not look pleased when Addie reached to her belt to release the chimecho, but at least he did not snap his teeth at her. Janne drifted at shoulder-height, glancing at the woman and Torshall both. Then she asked with her characteristic calmness and on a private link, What do you need me to do?

Keep an eye on the psyches of those around us, and let me know if anyone is planning anything particularly unpleasant. It was a necessary precaution, but the fact that it was necessary was something she did not like.

But there was no other way - she could not ask Edwina to leave, not when the hoothoot was curious of what she did and why, and she could not ask the bird to stay within a pokeball.

Janne sent along her acknowledgement down the connection she'd established, before she let the contact coil at the back of Addie's mind. It was a quiet thing, like silk; Addie breathed and transferred Edwina to her shoulder.

Then she said, "Let us be off, then," nodding to the woman. She would grab Torshall's eye and explain,"This detour, and then since we will already be out and about, the Shop. The stables can come afterwards."

She'd ask the woman her name and that of her mentor as well on the way there, to note and find the Senior Guardian later. Janne would float along behind her, Malin dogging both her and the rookies' feet to watch their backs. Edwina maintained her perch with an easy grace that Addie eyed and contemplated, before she put it aside.

It wasn't odd that there weren't any Guardians in sight, though where everyone else was was a question for another time. Addie did not wait until the two street urchins caught sight of her - she marched up to them both, and yanked them apart by their ears.

"Hush," she told them both, regardless of how loud or high they shrieked. Malin strode forward to help, and would enforce the distance with Will-o-Wisps that darted between them and orbited. They were underweight and scrawny, an unfortunate that was all too common in the slums of Istin.

But here they were, trying.

"'Ask and you shall receive,'" Addie said, quoting from the clergy's texts, and released them from her grip. "In this case, it's very much true. There's a Church of Arceus not far from here - tell them that Guardian Hawksworth sent you, and they'll give you a meal and put you up for the night. And," she added, arms now crossed, "if you want a job, go to the Guardian Headquarters. Tell the one at the front desk that Hawksworth sent you, and to set you up for courier work. We always need more people running messages for us."

An unconventional hiring technique, perhaps, but she had not served her years for nothing. Give a child or teenager like that food, a roof, and a way to earn a living, and they were more loyal and hard-working than any upstart by the end of it. "What do you say?"

But all she could do was give them the choice. Addie sat back on her heels, and waited.

--------------------
Adelaide Hawksworth
Profile & Travels & PCR

Eryn & Seung
| PM || Email |
^
Rosalie
 Posted: May 22 2017, 11:36 AM
| Quote |

It's a box of spiders.
Admin
Total Posts: 2321
Member No. 1
Joined on 19-March 10.

Characters:
Branson Faust, Rohesia Clements

Awards: 1

.6!

Torshall's mouth snapped shut with an audible click at the admonishment, and he blushed the deep scarlet of a youth before sketching a clumsy half-bow to the bird and stammering an apology to Addie in a low voice. No one really knew how to behave around a hoothoot or a noctowl except those who had long trained them -- they were not like roselia, to saunter in and bask in attention like sunlight. At this, the hoothoot's eyes twinkled in amusement, but she shuffled on Addie's arm awkwardly. Torshall was young enough both to excuse him and to have his awkwardness be familiar to Edwina; she sent a little whirlwind to him with a flap of the wing to tousle his hair as he bowed. The young guard looked up in shock, and Edwina chattered her beak at him and looked away.

Torshall grinned proudly in boyish rebound at the gust of air. "Sorry to you as well, Ma'am. Won't gawk anymore, I promise. You're just really special t'all of us here, you know?" He bobbed his head, convinced that the owl had decided she liked him.

There was time for little else before the other rookie had rushed up. Torshall nodded sharply to Addie's comment about the detour, clearly already imagining some kind of big ruckus he would have to help them fight their way through and getting excited about it.

"Just me, Guardian Hawksworth! My name is Lisa Smith! I finished my training runs two days ago with Guardian Prescott and I was on my way for my own first assignment by myself you see, but this happened and I didn't want to hurt them or get them into proper trouble but they wouldn't listen to me because I don't know, maybe I'm too young?"

She gestured at the kids helplessly as they arrived, and Addie heard a huff from behind her in Torshall's direction. A couple of street kids arguing was clearly not what he had been imagining after Lisa (he couldn't think of her as Smith -- she was only a few years older than he was) had run up to the senior guardian and started talking about the problem. If Addie glanced back, she'd see a rather comical mixture of surprise and relief on the young man's face. He hadn't really been that eager to go charging into a fight head first before investigating the caves.

The two kids looked up at Addie only reluctantly and because she was an intimidating older woman in shining metal. And the hellhound didn't hurt, either. All the same, they eyed her suspiciously and silently for a minute until one finally plucked up the bravado to talk. "You're old, lady! You don't gotta worry about things anymore. Everyone knows you don't go to the church 'less you wanna get taken on your way out! All them slave takers watch the corridors and road in'n out but they's too far away for the church to scare 'em off all the time. The open streets is safer for kids like us!"

The snot-nosed boy glanced at her with the sudden camaraderie of street kids before a guardian and nodded emphatically, but when Addie didn't smack the older girl for talking back, he plucked up his courage too. "Is the Guards gonna feed us? Or just put us in a box like they did Jimmy for pickin' apples and coins from the market?"

Lisa stepped in then, eager to take over and prove that she could handle it, explaining that they could run messages or help to clean quarters and it wouldn't be glamorous but yes, they'd be fed and they'd even earn a few coins and maybe a place to sleep and, and, and. The kids' expressions slowly changed from outright distrust to curious as she talked, and by the time Addie was comfortable leading Torshall away, they were putting their small hands in the heavy woman's large ones to go with her back to the Guardian outpost. Addie might reflect that it was a good thing they hadn't been gang urchins or things might not have gone so well, but clearly they knew the city.

And their knowledge of the slavers' activity was troubling. If she told Lisa to report on that to her superiors once she returned, the woman would salute seriously and promise that she had been planning to anyway. That her little brother was taken by them a long time ago and never came back. She would thank Addie and turn and be gone back up the tunnel in moments.

Once they reached the shop, they were greeted warmly by the owner and offered their pick of his goods and informed that a guardian ran the counter to the left and other guards could purchase special gear there if they liked so it was more convenient for them than returning to the main post all the time. Torshall's eyes gleamed, and he counted through his handful of coins only to be told he was too young yet, and to come back once he was done with his training. His face fell, but he nodded without complaint and pocketed his gold except for just enough to purchase a pair of potions.. and a truly ugly thick woolen hat. Just in case. If asked, he'd shrug and say the ones the guard armory had had didn't fit.

Finding a bird down to the city base would be no difficult task after the shop, though Torshall would nearly trip off of the sky dock landing in his excitement to be riding as big a flyer as would be offered to Addie for use on Guardians' tab. The stables would offer them a pair of rapidash, as requested, and warn them to take care after a brief look to the sky. From there, it was up to Addie to lead them to the correct caves and start searching.

+2 Exp for breaking up the street rats.

--------------------

user posted image-- user posted image --user posted image
Branson - - + - - Rohesia
« Pr & Tr » - - * * * - - « Pr & Tr »

(Sprites by Mackay)
Post Count Rewards
Old Characters: Tobias Middleton & Travels, Gineva Winstret & Travels

| PM || Email |
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Istin City | Next Newest »

| Options | | Add Reply || New Topic || New Poll |

RNG & Word Counter

Scrolling Affiliates & Listings
War Is Brewing
PokéFiends Living the Dream: a Pokemon RPG Mutant Revolution Online BTM affiliates Pokemon: Forever Forgotten deep in the meadow {warriors}

CODE
Skin designed by Daniel of Outline. Gen 6 Pokemon sprites from Smogon. Gen 7 Pokemon sprites from smogon.