Important Links

Staff

Character Count: 101
Ml: 48 - Fml: 51 - Oth: 2
OR - 14 | R - 17 | H - 47 | G - 23

Quick Updates

Weather Conditions

Season: Autumn

With the cooling season of Autumn, Ice-types are starting to re-emerge from their hibernation as Ghost-, Normal-, and Flying-types swarm in the largest numbers they will all year. In comparison, wild Fire- and Bug-type populations are falling in number. The migration of Flying-types to the south in search of warmer weather has also started, as Istin City starts to re-freeze and Autumn marks the beginning of Cypwater Point's rainy season. Handlers and Rogues alike should be wary: Ghost-type powers are boosted during this season, at the cost of being more prone to their triggers.

Sister Sites

Pokemon: Terrene

Click here to vote for us once a day!
Our Topsite:
Harper Region Topsite

• Show Box
  • Hide Box

| Add Reply || New Topic || New Poll |

music as muse, --what are your habits?
Ackalite
 Posted: Mar 21 2017, 11:33 AM
| Quote |

New Handler
Members
Total Posts: 8
Member No. 2334
Joined on 17-March 17.

Characters:
Bastion Blackhart

Awards: None

I'm taking a poetry class to fill one of my requirements toward my degree. Early this semester, we had an in-class experimental workshop spanning two sessions that involved various student-submitted songs and free writing while each played, then taking what we liked best to craft something more deliberate. While I love to write to music (homework mostly, in recent years, but once upon a time posts and profiles as well) the challenge of putting words to songs selected by someone else left a lasting impression on me. Sometimes I'm now guilty of letting YouTube load random things while I'm working on a submission rather than "full album" or "playlist" offerings I'm already familiar with as my background noise of choice. I probably would never have heard some of the newer bands I now like if it hadn't been for all that - radio stations where I live don't play Starseed, Nothing More, or Hellyeah.

I thought it might be interesting to compare notes with others. What are your habits? Do you find music a distraction when writing something or is it always helpful? Do you prefer to choose specific sounds? Also, have you heard any newer music lately that impressed you in some way? If you have a minute, please do share. http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz241/HarperRegion/Sprites/Emoticons/3.png

--------------------
♂ Bastion Blackhart:
--► Travels
--► Dev
--► Training
| PM |
^
Rosalie
 Posted: Mar 25 2017, 04:31 PM
| Quote |

It's a box of spiders.
Admin
Total Posts: 2294
Member No. 1
Joined on 19-March 10.

Characters:
Branson Faust, Rohesia Clements

Awards: 1

Personally, I like to listen to music as inspiration before I write rather than during! like, i'l gather up ideas and settings that different phrases bring to mind as i go, especially while i'm commuting to and from work or class and scribble them down on the window ( i keep a dry erase marker in the car haha, don't judge) for use later.

If i listen to music while i'm writing it has to be something in a language i don't know /at all/ or else instrumental but not something i know or something too dramatic http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz241/HarperRegion/Sprites/Emoticons/13.png I feel like it influences too much if it's too specificall a single mood and it distracts me if it's a piece i know since i'll start humming or focusing on the words i'm hearing more than wht i'm writing. I like it to be relatively quiet when i sit down to write, or else to be in a busy area like the food court or a coffee shop so that no single voice is particularly notable -- but that doesn't always work either, haha.

--------------------

user posted image-- user posted image --user posted image
Branson - - + - - Rohesia
« Pr & Tr » - - * * * - - « Pr & Tr »

(Sprites by Mackay)
Post Count Rewards
Old Characters: Tobias Middleton & Travels, Gineva Winstret & Travels

| PM || Email |
^
Astraea
 Posted: Mar 25 2017, 05:27 PM
| Quote |

张开双手 变成翅膀
Members
Total Posts: 182
Member No. 2280
Joined on 12-August 16.

Characters:
Adrian Carlisle, Silas Arington, Elena Ayton (Retired)

Awards: None

I am constantly listening to music, to be honest, and it ends up being distracting sometimes because I will start singing or humming to it. Not to mention the time I was listening to Studio Ghibli and suddenly had an existential crisis in the middle of studying for a calc test and consequently cried in a corner for an hour...

Anyways, I have trouble listening to music I don't know, mainly classical music but just in general as well. I make exceptions for KPOP and anime music, though. Especially with classical music, I like to listen to songs that I've played before and finger along or tap the beat (I'm such a nerd I know).

Currently, I'm obsessed with Studio Ghibli music and the soundtrack from Hunter x Hunter (2011) especially Departures and Reason. I'm also a fan of the Fate/Zero and Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works soundtracks. Hyouka also has a really good opening called "Yasashisa no Riyuu" I believe. Also, EXO is my favorite KPOP band. AND ALSO MOANA'S SOUNDTRACK.

My main recommendation right now is a piece we're playing with the choir, though, called "Fern Hill". It was originally a poem by Dylan Thomas but has been rewritten into a ~15-minute song by David Corigliano. It's gorgeous and since I got the oboe solo transposed into a violin solo, I just pop in with a couple solos and sit back and listen half the time... Really pretty song and you should definitely give it a listen.

TLDR Recommendations

And if that wasn't enough I am happy to offer a list of the 10 million classical symphonies and concertos I've played >:D.

--------------------
Adrian James Carlisle | Freelance Rogue
Profile | Travels | Training | Development | PCR
Thread Tracker | Goals | Dream Team
user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image
user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image

Silas Arington | Ex-Assassin Guardian
Profile | Travels | Training | Development
Thread Tracker | Goals | Dream Team
user posted image

Elena Ayton | Retired Handler
Profile | Travels | Training | PCR | Dream Team

user posted image user posted image user posted image
| PM |
^
Rosalie
 Posted: Mar 25 2017, 10:37 PM
| Quote |

It's a box of spiders.
Admin
Total Posts: 2294
Member No. 1
Joined on 19-March 10.

Characters:
Branson Faust, Rohesia Clements

-- actually, now that i've been thinking about it, i realised that i often write to let's plays. http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz241/HarperRegion/Sprites/Emoticons/13.png; Not like, the ones i watch like i would watch tv (for example, Frozenfoxy's stuff), but the ones that are more repetitive, where the person tlks all the time about anything/everything, like Northernlion and his Binding of Isaac let's plays, just because they make a good background cadence.

THAT SAID, i tend to pause it/turn it off once i start getting into the writing to focus more. But it's interesting because i also tend to play those videos when i'm going to bed/as an aid to falling asleep because, again, of the sort of constant cadence of it. (though tbh i could put on lectures from some of the professors i had while iwas earning my associates' degree and achieve the same with their droning >>; but i digress)

--------------------

user posted image-- user posted image --user posted image
Branson - - + - - Rohesia
« Pr & Tr » - - * * * - - « Pr & Tr »

(Sprites by Mackay)
Post Count Rewards
Old Characters: Tobias Middleton & Travels, Gineva Winstret & Travels

| PM || Email |
^
Flight
 Posted: Mar 26 2017, 06:58 PM
| Quote |

judge of the stables
Admin
Total Posts: 976
Member No. 1433
Joined on 30-January 14.

Characters:
Eryn Norwood, Adelaide Hawksworth, Iuchra Nic Longáin

I find music helpful most any time - it helps drown out the background noise and gets me settled into a working mood. I don't listen to pop songs (English) or classical, though, as I find myself paying more attention to the music than whatever I'm working on, more often than not.

I swap between what I listen to when I'm writing; nowadays, I'll put on either a 1 hour mix (they help me keep time) of "Chill" music on Youtube, or find an OST that I like from a game that I'm not playing. Rarely, I'll put a Jpop or Kpop song on repeat until it becomes background noise.

I'm boring I know don't judge me

--------------------
Eryn
profile & travels
Addie
profile & travels
Iuchra
profile & travels
-
please refer to me with they/them pronouns!

-
user posted image
PCR
| PM |
^
Mindir
 Posted: Mar 27 2017, 09:24 AM
| Quote |

Expert Handler
Members
Total Posts: 753
Member No. 991
Joined on 19-May 13.

Characters:
Jonna Shipston, Brenda Shiell, Yngve Tessel

Awards: 5

I do listen to music when I write things for forums and such, most of the time it help me keeping focused and from procrastinating too much.
It has to be instrumental or with chorus I don't understand/can't hear what they are singing, and most importantly, something I enjoy listening to.
What works best for me has been "epic" music, or celtic inspired of which there are plenty of mixes on youtube for that luckily, so I don't get interrupeted by too many adverticements (so I tend to go for the ones lasting several hours).
The theme/mood in the epic mixes fit quite well with the one of Harper I think, hehe.

If I need to really concentrate, like a specific wording or if I went back to have some homework from school, I need it to be quiet.

--------------------
Jonna Shipston's
user posted image
Profil - - Travel
pokemon

Brenda Shiell's
user posted image
Profil - - Travel
Pokemon

Yngve Tessel's
user posted image
Profil - - Travel
pokemon

Tracker - - PCR
| PM |
^
W
 Posted: Apr 2 2017, 10:55 AM
| Quote |

Senior Handler
Moderators
Total Posts: 166
Member No. 2309
Joined on 28-December 16.

Characters:
Aneirin "Nirin/Nye" Vaughan

Awards: 2

My muse comes and go, and so do my habits. When I do have muse, sometimes I listen to music, and sometimes I don't. I like to listen to classical or film scores most of the time, because I find that lyrics often distract what I'm writing, although it really depends on what I am writing. For example, during National Novel Writing Month, the only thing I tend to listen to is You're Gunna Go Far Kid by the Offspring and Prove You Wrong by Crossfade....

which, by the way, are the only time I listen to these songs. After 200 times on repeat for each, I'm kinda done for a year with them, lol.

I'm also one to often listen to Broadway while I write, especially if I have a particularly strong muse for it (for example, I have a muse on another RP who's an actor/theater person/singer who draws a LOT of inspiration from musicals), but when I'm feeling rather creative, I'll pull up Broadway songs on my pandora. I've been drawing a lot of muse lately from "Next to Normal" and "Matilda" -- the latter because I'm still running on the show high. Oops.

--------------------
Aneirin "Nirin/Nye" Vaughan
profile | travels | dev | training

ArkBoaz "Ark" Reuter
profile | travels | dev | training

pcr | goals | team | tracker
| PM |
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Culture Center | Next Newest »

| Options | | Add Reply || New Topic || New Poll |

RNG & Word Counter

Scrolling Affiliates & Listings
War Is Brewing
PokéFiends Living the Dream: a Pokemon RPG Mutant Revolution Online a resource community BTM affiliates Pokemon: Forever Forgotten Kaleidoscope deep in the meadow {warriors}

CODE
Skin designed by Daniel of Outline. Gen 6 Pokemon sprites from Smogon. Gen 7 Pokemon sprites from smogon.