Important Links

Staff

Character Count: 90
Ml: 45 - Fml: 44 - Oth: 1
OR - 13 | R - 16 | H - 40 | G - 21

Quick Updates

Weather Conditions

Season: Summer

The onset of the Summer season has led to a swarming of Fire-, Electric-, and Bug-types, overtaking most populations in the Region. In their place, Water- and Grass-types have retreated to the shade and to cooler areas, while Ice-types have all but vanished. The rising temperatures has also led to the annual thaw of the infamously cold Istin City, though it remains the coldest.

Sister Sites

Pokemon: Terrene

Click here to vote for us once a day!
Our Topsite:
Harper Region Topsite

• Show Box
  • Hide Box

| Add Reply || New Topic || New Poll |

Marietta "Marie" Roux's Travels, Korosensei
Arty
 Posted: Dec 27 2016, 11:21 PM
| Quote |

Top Handler
Moderators
Total Posts: 376
Member No. 1059
Joined on 21-June 13.

Characters:
Artemis Froste, Tybalt Cromwell, Cadence Mansel

Awards: 3

Welcome (back) to Harper. You know the drill, just keep doing what you are doing. Let's roll!

Backstory/Prologue/RP Sample

By the time the sun peaked over the horizon, Marie would find herself looking at Marchton City. Just as Robert said she would. Her journey through the night would be undisturbed and uneventful, which was probably for the best. Marie's Pokemon was young and finding trouble just starting out might not have been the best thing in the world for her last night. Thankfully, the rising of the sun spread light on the fact that nothing caused her any sort of delay.

Arriving at the city, Marie has a few choices of things she could do. She was probably tired from her journey throughout the night. There was an inn, the Sleeping Snorlax, that she could stay in to regain some energy if she needed. For a price though. It wouldn't be a large amount, somewhere in the range 50-100g, but it was enough to make a dent in the gold Robert had given her. But there was also the general store Marie could visit if she needed more supplies.

In the center of town stood another thing that was probably the most interesting to Marie at this point: the Job Board. When Marie looked at the board, two slips of paper stood out among the rest of the mundane others. The first was written rather sloppily on parchment that could be bought for a clip a dozen. It looked a little worse for wear but still not as bad as some of shape as some of the other missives were in on the board. It read:

Need someone not afraid to get their hands dirty to lend me a hand around my farm. Will pay in gold for the help. Ask for Oliver at the general store if interested.

The second had a more formal sort of handwriting on parchment that was commonly used by town officials. This one looked newer, not having sat on the board out in the weather more than just a few days. It read:

Wanted: Handler willing to assist the Guard. Ownership of an/or experience with canine Pokemon preferred, but not required. Find Alistair around the Sleeping Snorlax for more information. He will direct any interested parties on where to go from there.

If Marie saw them, she could also lend a hand to a petite female handler, covered in a silk lavender dress, that seemed to be having an issue with a Charmeleon. Whatever she would say, Charmeleon would do the exact opposite.

What would Marie do to start off her journey as a Handler?

--------------------

Cadence Mansel

All Characters
| PM |
^
Korosensei
 Posted: Dec 28 2016, 12:24 AM
| Quote |

Stupidface McNoctowl
Head Moderator
Total Posts: 1406
Member No. 1923
Joined on 24-February 15.

Characters:
Alexander Fitzgerald | Emilie Chartoire | Talia

Awards: 4

Egg Counts:
  • Starter grass-type egg: 1 + 3 (level up) = 4
  • Cracked egg: 16 + 3 (level up) + 1 (from profile) = 20!
  • Water-type egg: 6 + 3 (level up) + 1 (from profile) = 10
[[OOC: As a note, Marie has Vivienne and Meryl in her party now, but I prefer to work with Vivienne at the moment. I can introduce Soren soon if it makes sense for the plot. The two links in this post are two dev posts I’m including as part of the post.]]

The night was uneventful in terms of encounters, true, but Marie's heart still pounded with a mixture of nervousness and anticipation as she saw Marchton City in the distance. Beside her walked a houndour who she had only met and began to interact with that very night. Meryl looked tired from a night of walking, but she too glanced warily around the town, looking around corners and behind passersby for signs of trouble.

Marie had no idea where to look first. She knew she was supposed to be a handler, but it had been so long since she had left the farm that she had nearly forgotten what exactly handlers were supposed to do. She had a pokemon, and theoretically she was supposed to train her - and keep an eye on the eggs, especially the one with the large crack that she kept cradled in her arms. It felt oddly warm at times, then cooled down. Once it had even wiggled, giving her quite the shock, but it had settled down again rather quickly after that.

She decided to follow where many people were heading. Staying close to the crowds, trying to blend in, she passed the Sleeping Snorlax inn. She was tempted by the idea of sleep, but even now she looked back, afraid that Thomas would find her and finish what he had started. The thought made her clutch the egg more tightly, then she loosened her grip as she looked down at it, hoping the crack hadn't intensified. She couldn't bear the thought of it being injured because of her. Thomas' violence was one thing, but she felt a deep need to ensure the egg's well-being, and there was only one way to do that.

She needed to earn some money, and possibly talk to people who knew about taking care of eggs. Wandering through the crowd, she looked for someone who might look knowledgeable, but her own knowledge was limited enough that she didn't know how to recognize someone to go to. "Hold on, little one," she whispered to the egg in Carsen. The language had comforted her as a child, perhaps it would help the egg grow strong as well.

As she traversed the paths of the city, low-traffic areas faded away. She found herself in the marketplace, distracted by the myriad smells and sounds of the area – and a loud yell soon distracted her even more, leading her to take a path towards the local Harper’s Passion branch

She left after a while with a mimikyu on her shoulder, and Meryl back in her ball. Feeling a whirlwind of emotions, but mostly pride at getting a new pokemon who she was eager to love, she continued wandering through the marketplace towards the center of town. Before long, she found herself near a wooden board with many pieces of paper pinned to it. The job board! She had heard of this from Robert, and with a satisfied smile she began to peruse the offerings. Many of them looked complicated, or were for Guardians, or required specific kinds of pokemon.

One stuck out to her right away, a person named Oliver asking for help with his farm, but she had to restrain herself. She had left the Gradys to start a new life for herself, one where she was going to grow as a person, and like the egg she held, she had to leave her comfort zone. She couldn't stay on farms forever and stagnate. And there was another reason she couldn't take the post, much as a large part of her wanted to - many of the farms in the area were connected in some way, and she didn't want to risk running into Thomas Grady anytime soon, even if she wanted to see Robert more than anything else.

She tore her eyes away from that posting and continued to read the others, but she quickly got distracted by a handler and pokemon having a dispute. She hunched her shoulders and adopted a withdrawn posture without even thinking about it as she saw the charmeleon opposing its handler. The woman looked wealthy, at least from her gown. Perhaps she knew something about eggs, or knew someone who did, Marie thought - but then the charmeleon acted out again. Marie kept a wary eye on the pokemon and handler as she looked back at the job board, finding another job she was technically qualified for.

This one was more formal, and it requested help from someone with experience with canine pokemon. In her tired state, it took her longer than it should have to realize that the houndour Robert had given her was a canine. This was something she could do, but did she want to? She knew about the Guardians, of course, but she had heard negative things as well as positive. She knew they could offer her protection, but they had high standards that she might not be able to reach. She was new to handling, and just because she had made friends with a mimikyu didn’t mean she was good enough to help the Guardians on a mission. She was afraid of what would happen if it went wrong, if she was unable to do whatever they wanted her to do. It was a gamble, and she didn’t know if she was up to par.

None of the other postings looked interesting to her, unless she had missed some in her tired state, but for now she decided to approach the girl with the charmeleon. Perhaps she was new to handling pokemon too, and now that Marie was bolstered with her first, albeit small, taste of success, she was willing to give this endeavor a try. Although she was tempted to bring Meryl out as backup, she decided to leave the houndour in her ball for now. Vivienne needed to see that she was cared for, and trusting her to help with her first-ever mission was a big way to show that.

She got close to the girl with the charmeleon, the mimikyu on her shoulder leaning forward, perhaps eager to greet another pokemon. She kept an extra-tight hold on the cracked egg in her arms, noticing an odd warmth emanating from the broken shell. "Is… everything all right?" Marie asked. Hoping her accent wouldn't be too noticeable, she waited to see what would happen next.

--------------------

user posted image

The Stonehearted Lady

Past Characters

Korosensei's Post Count Rewards
Caledonia picture by August! Alexander and Casper sprites by Mackay!
| PM || Email || ICQ |
^
August
 Posted: Jan 19 2017, 01:47 PM
| Quote |

Tribal Rebel
Moderators
Total Posts: 100
Member No. 779
Joined on 5-January 13.

Characters:
N/A

Awards: 1

[.7!]

"Oh! I uhhh..." The girl said, looking down nervously, obviously taken by surprise by the approach. So invested in her unruly Pokemon, she hadn't noticed the stranger approach, and she didn't feel comfortable around strangers. "I mean, they could certainly be better..." She faded off, looking nervously around everywhere but Marie's face.

The girl glanced up, trying to make eye contact and aborting that mission immediately as her brilliant blue eyes caught Marie's own. She felt her face turn red, and now she felt flustered for two reasons.

"Char!" The Charmeleon cried out, seemingly reveling in the discomfort and frustration of his 'Master'.

"Oh, hush, you ornery creature!" She snapped, not nearly as viciously as she imagined.

"CHAAAARRR!" It boomed in defiant response, now stamping its feet and turning as it continued to cry out loudly, thrusting its arms in the air as well.

"This is about how it's been since we started." She half-heartedly gestured towards the Charmeleon, shrugging her shoulders in defeat. "I can't understand why, though I imagine that's why his previous owner was so eager to get rid of him." The Charmeleon seemed to pay no mind to such words, continuing his defiant outburst.

The Charmeleon stopped suddenly, looking at Marie's arms now with curious eyes. The girl looked to him and then to Marie, as well. They both had eyes on the egg as it began to rustle around and Marie would have surely felt it before that. In a moment of tension, it stopped moving, as if it had been a false alarm.

Then, it cracked open completely, and the baby Pokemon inside was revealed.

"Aww, it's so...oh..." She trailed off, covering her mouth with her delicate, gloved hand, her excitement fading as she saw the 'Mon in its entirety. It had looked fine at first, but then she noticed two glaring issues:

It's right leg was short and deformed, and it's right eye was missing. Everything else seemed fine, but it would be hard to tell without testing the Meditite's mental capacity. It wouldn't be too hard with a half-psychic.

The tension remained, and an air of unease fell on the Charmeleon and the girl. They looked at each other, and the Charmeleon seemed to be done showing off. It had eyes of sympathy for its fellow 'Mon, and looked somber.

"What...what happened? What did you do to the egg? I've never seen that before..." She seemed to be unsure of herself, as if she was considering her words even after they were spoken, regretting them.

"Char." The Charmeleon seemed to concur that he was also curious. Whatever happened, he would certainly be sure to avoid that in any future contact with eggs, especially his own.

What would Marie say now? How would she react to this revelation?

[Egg Stuff - Congrats on the Meditite! Gender rolled Male, and you know he only gets the two abilities, so pick your egg moves http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz241/HarperRegion/Sprites/Emoticons/8.png]

-------------------------------
[Hope that's okay http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz241/HarperRegion/Sprites/Emoticons/20.png; Let me know if there is anything about this post that you have questions, comments, or concerns with. Also my apologies for the delay! <3 Also, I had time to post today but no time to setup the Meditite in your profile. I noted it as disfigured and such, but added no moves or anything. Sorry http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz241/HarperRegion/Sprites/Emoticons/20.png;]

--------------------

user posted image
Sig by me! Click for Profile!
Skye's Travels ~ Goals ~ GFX Shop
Angelica's Travels ~ Angelica Elsworth
"There it must be, I think, in the vast and eternal laws of matter, and not in the daily cares and sins and troubles of men, that whatever is more than animal within us must find its solace and its hope. I hope, or I could not live."
-The Island of Doctor Moreau
| PM |
^
Korosensei
 Posted: Jan 20 2017, 11:59 AM
| Quote |

Stupidface McNoctowl
Head Moderator
Member No. 1923

Characters:

[[OOC: Marie has sent her houndour to her stepdaughter, so I can no longer use her in Travels. Marie’s current Travels party is Vivienne and Antoine. Feel free to introduce Soren if you feel like it makes sense for the plot; I’d prefer to hold off on Rick for now since he’d be a large challenge for Marie. I’ll introduce Coralie and Felix at my first timeskip, whenever that is.]]

The girl seemed as alarmed to interact with Marie as Marie felt overwhelmed by the situation. “Sorry,” she said softly, hoping she hadn’t done the completely wrong thing as the girl struggled and ultimately succeeded – for a second – to meet her eyes.

The charmeleon continued to act out, and Marie began to feel frightened by the large fire-type pokemon. Charmeleon was a pokemon that had already evolved once, and her team was no match to fight it if she would have to. Vivienne’s costume could burn in seconds under a powerful blaze, and Marie hadn’t missed the information in her pokecard that seeing what lay beneath a mimikyu’s costume could bring anything from bad luck to death upon the beholder.

She did think of Vivienne, though, when the girl mentioned having just received the charmeleon in a trade. “Vivienne came from a trade,” she pointed up to the mimikyu on her shoulder, who looked down at the girl interestedly. “She was at Harper’s Passion. No one wanted her, so she tried to run away. I found her.” If the girl asked why no one had wanted Vivienne, she would answer, “Some people think she is bad luck. She is a ghost and her costume is handmade. She is trying to look like pikachu because people like pikachu. But I like her the way she is.” Perhaps her advice would help the girl with the charmeleon; even though she was a new handler, her interactions with Vivienne were already teaching her a great deal about how pokemon liked to be treated.

“Vivienne likes kind words,” Marie added, subtly criticizing the way the girl had interacted with the charmeleon. “She was happy when I said I liked her costume. And we will do things together, like make different kinds of costumes. We can go places together too, she is coming along in my travels. That is what has helped me so far, although I am also new to pokemon handling,” she said with a sheepish smile.

A slight movement from the egg in her arms distracted her from her thoughts about Vivienne. She marveled at how warm it felt in her hands, even warmer than it had been when she had held it through the night and during the morning. And it was wiggling more, too… a light appeared as the girl and charmeleon looked surprised. Finally, she figured out what the combination of heat and light meant from the cracked egg in her hands. The egg was hatching!

She had doubted it would hatch, even though it had been getting warmer throughout the night. She knew so little about pokemon eggs that she had told herself that wasn’t a good sign, and she had been determined to carry the egg around as a symbol of everything that had gone wrong with her relationship. Now the egg was hatching, turning into its own pokemon, a living pokemon who she had never expected to meet.

She held the egg with trembling hands as the shell began to crack, and took a sharp breath when it stopped for a moment, almost as if every bit of hope she had felt had been false all along. Then the shell peeled away even more, and through the viscous egg liquid, she and the mimikyu leaning forward from her shoulder got a glimpse of the newest member of her team.

She didn’t recognize the pokemon at first, but her conversation partner’s harsh gasp alerted her to the fact that there was something wrong. Looking more closely at the curled-up pokemon, she noticed its right leg was shaped oddly and not bending the same way as the left when it kicked some eggshell pieces out of the way. When it turned its head to look up at her, she had to refrain from gasping herself as she looked at the place where a second eye should have been.

The pokemon looked up at her, experimentally wiggling its fingers and shifting around to get rid of the remaining eggshell. “I am Marie,” she said as she reached out a finger to gingerly touch the meditite’s ears, almost too scared that the pokemon would break even more by her touch. “And I am so sorry.”

She thought of what could have happened if the egg had developed normally, if she wasn’t faced with a pokemon who reminded her so much of her guilt that she was almost overcome with it, tasting bile in the back of her mouth as she thought about the fact that this was all her fault, and in another life the pokemon could have had a chance to develop normally. But she had to get close to Robert, and Thomas had to fight back…

“Medi?” the pokemon said softly, jolting Marie out of her thoughts.

“I will take good care of you. I promise you that you will never be alone or lost,” Marie said as she took out her pokecard and got a good look at her new pokemon. It was a meditite – no, he was a meditite, a dual-type pokemon. Psychic and fighting, Marie thought with a lump in her throat. How was he supposed to fight? She was scared to flip through his move list, and when she did, she felt even worse. Most of his moves, the vast majority in fact, were fighting-type.

She was so caught up in reading about the meditite that she nearly forgot to answer the girl’s question. The charmander was looking over at the meditite curiously as well; the fighting-and-psychic-type stared back at the large, unfamiliar creature. Vivienne was not nearly as shy as she waved her ghostly hand at the fire-type, emboldened by the kind words of support she had gotten from Marie earlier.

The girl asked about how the meditite had come to be the way it was. Marie felt slightly awkward talking about this in front of the meditite, but she felt he deserved an explanation. Even though he was young, his psychic typing likely made him intelligent, although his partial fighting typing made him unable to talk. Yet another limitation… “I was going to be married. His father did not like me, and the egg was a present for me. He took the egg and dropped it on the ground. It wobbled, it was close to hatching so it cracked but it did not break all the way. Then I traveled here holding the egg, and now it has hatched.”

“He,” she corrected herself. “He has hatched.” She looked down at the meditite in her arms who was still looking up at her with his one eye, trying to focus on her face. “And you should have a name. I will call you… Antoine.” Surely her accent would be noticeable to the girl now, but she felt more comfortable giving her pokemon names in Carsen, and this one was simply perfect. “It means priceless, worthy of praise. I will always praise you for everything you try, little one. I have not been a handler for a long time either. We will grow together.”

“Tite!” the meditite exclaimed, and Marie nearly dropped him out of shock.

“You like the name?”

“Meditite,” he slowly nodded.

“I need to catch you in this poke ball to help you stay safe, but I will let you out right away,” she said, then fulfilled her promises. Once he was out of the ball she clipped to her belt, she allowed him to resume his place in her arms. He continued to wiggle around, moving his body experimentally, testing himself. Marie allowed herself one more smile down at Antoine before she turned back to the girl, wondering what her reaction would be.

--------------------

user posted image

The Stonehearted Lady

Past Characters

| PM || Email || ICQ |
^
Flight
 Posted: Feb 23 2017, 06:04 PM
| Quote |

Chaos Eater
Admin
Total Posts: 909
Member No. 1433
Joined on 30-January 14.

Characters:
Seung Han, Eryn Norwood, Adelaide Hawksworth, Iuchra Nic Longáin

Awards: 2

{ 0.7 EXP for you! }

There was a moment, where the girl said nothing. Then two.

Then, with a great sigh, her shoulders slumped and she lifted a hand to scrub at her face; after, she withdrew suspiciously damp fingers. "I... am sorry," she said, and at least sounded like she meant it. She looked tired, far more than a girl her age - fourteen, fifteen - should be. "I cannot say I've had experience with pokemon like - like Antoine, but-"

The charmeleon by her feet snorted, a rush of hot air swirling by their ankles. The girl spared a dark look for it, though it too was far more tired than it seemed it should be. Somber, not unlike her pokemon.

Suddenly, as if she were shaking off a great mantle, the girl straightened her spine and gave Marie a glittering, perfect smile. "I've been terribly rude, haven't I? I apologize. I am Eleanor Beck, and this rascal here is Abner."

Eleanor gave Marie a short curtsy instead of offering to shake hands. "But I'm sure I've taken up too much of your time. Really, everything's alright now, and I'm sure you must have your own business to take care of." The your promise to Antoine was unspoken but carefully, cautiously implied. "I must make my way to Whitewater Street. It would be incredibly rude of me to keep you any longer."

In mere moments Eleanor had gone from a frazzled girl in the streets with a charmeleon to one with perfect court-manners. Her smile was still perfect, at least, though there seemed to be something strained at the corners and edges. Whether that was from Abner still by her feet and now resolutely refusing to look at the either of them, or from something else entirely, was unclear.

Marie still had the day before her, as well as the region's cities. The two jobs she'd noticed on the Job Board would still be there as well, if she chose to return. Eleanor certainly didn't seem to expect Marie to stick around any further.

But when Abner caught Marie's eye, he flicked his tail in her direction - an invitation, if nothing else, though the slight hint of teeth at the edge of his maw said it was a reluctant one. Perhaps there was more here than Eleanor was willing to say; perhaps not.

Either way, it was time to choose.

--------------------
Eryn
profile & travels
Addie
profile & travels
Iuchra
profile & travels
-
please refer to me with they/them pronouns!

-
user posted image
PCR
| PM |
^
Korosensei
 Posted: Feb 24 2017, 03:31 PM
| Quote |

Stupidface McNoctowl
Head Moderator
Member No. 1923

Characters:

Marie was extremely, extraordinarily confused.

She had just felt like she got somewhere with the girl - Eleanor, she said her name was - but just as soon as the girl seemed to open up even the slightest bit, she instantly changed. Gone was the girl who looked too tired for her years, who said one thing but Marie could have sworn she meant another. Instead, there was a simple and polite girl, who gave Marie a curtsy and then promptly hurried away, charmeleon in tow.

The charmeleon, at least, was starting to follow Eleanor, but that didn't mean Eleanor's problems from before had been fixed. And Marie was still curious, wondering why the charmeleon had been traded away. She did not know much about the pokemon, but as Eleanor walked away, she surreptitiously pulled out her pokecard and looked it up. A strong fire-type who had already evolved once and could evolve again was something she knew would be greatly valued. But when she came to think of it, Eleanor didn't seem to care much for the pokemon either. She let him tag along at her side, but she kept calling him names, putting him down in the manner of someone who thought she was far more important.

Marie shifted Antoine into her left arm and reached her right arm up to her left shoulder to pat the mimikyu who still sat there. She too had experienced harsh words before, and Marie hoped that wouldn't stop her from believing in herself and in her new opportunity. The mimikyu, instead of getting lost in memories of the unpleasant Guardian in the Harper's Passion building, nuzzled into Marie's hands before letting out a worried-sounding "Kyuu?"

To tell the truth, Marie was also feeling worried. She had a nagging feeling that there was something Eleanor didn't tell her, and the switch in personalities was too abrupt for her to ignore. Something was wrong, and even if Marie didn't know what, she had a feeling that the charmeleon did. He had given her such a peculiar glance before flicking his tail at her, and although she had never seen this particular kind of pokemon before, she got the feeling that she was being told to follow. Not by Eleanor, and she had a feeling Eleanor wouldn't be too happy if she knew of Abner's actions, but perhaps the pokemon who had been called a rascal was actually trying to help his handler, in a way that he knew.

It would be risky to follow someone like Eleanor. Her clothes were fancy enough that Marie knew she had money, and with money came power. She didn't want to been as some sort of stalker to the wealthy young woman, for that was tantamount to giving up her freedom or perhaps even her life. But the look in the charmeleon's eyes compelled her. It reminded her of Vivienne's gaze when she first saw the mimikyu in the courtyard behind the Harper's Passion. She had looked so devoid of hope, but perhaps willing to reach out just the tiniest bit. And that had succeeded...

There was the option, of course, to just give up. She had a new pokemon who would likely have a difficult time getting used to battles, rather than one who could defend her if she needed it. She had no idea if Vivienne could fight, or if she was loyal enough to want to. And she had never been in a battle before... she hoped it wouldn't come to that, but just the mere thought of it made her want to go running back to everything she ever knew. She even briefly considered going back to the job board, the farming job still tempting her, but when the mimikyu on her shoulder chirped worriedly again, she had made up her mind.

"We will go help them, Vivienne. Eleanor and Abner. And you can help them too," she said, trying to think of a job for the ghost-and-fairy-type to do. Robert always told her it was good to give pokemon jobs, and as she walked, she tried to think of what the mimikyu would be good at.

First, though, she would need to find her way to Whitewater Street. If Eleanor and Abner were too far out of sight, or took a path that Marie did not know where it led, she would try to find the general store near the job board and ask for directions. She would try to find her way there, perhaps helped by Vivienne if she could sense any emotions powerful enough to guide the way. And if she did reach Whitewater Street, or if she saw Eleanor and Abner in a compromising position, she would bend down and let Vivienne hop off her shoulder.

"You can turn invisible, yes? Please do that and get closer and let me know if she is in trouble," Marie said. She hoped this was the right way to tell a pokemon to do something, and it turned out to be so at least for the mimikyu, who quickly tried to become invisible. She was only part ghost-type, so she wouldn't be entirely invisible, but perhaps she could get close enough and do a bit of scouting and report back. Then again, the mimikyu was emotionally invested in this encounter, and might choose to take a different action of her own...

--------------------

user posted image

The Stonehearted Lady

Past Characters

| PM || Email || ICQ |
^
Flight
 Posted: Mar 14 2017, 05:50 PM
| Quote |

Chaos Eater
Admin
Member No. 1433
Joined on 30-January 14.

Characters:

{ 0.7 EXP for you! Marie levels up, and so do her team - Felix learns Taunt, Antoine learns Confusion, Coralie learns Taunt, Soren learns Mega Drain, and Rick learns Magnitude. }

Eleanor walked briskly, with purpose, and did not seem to converse with the charmeleon by her side after she'd left Marie's company. Abner, for his part, did not seem to be too unruly or disobedient - whatever his behavior had been at the Job Board, he was now tailing his handler without reluctance. And protectively, too, if his flash of teeth and fire-tail towards a sailor who came too close was any indication.

The girl, for her part, did not seem to notice this; even at their distance, Marie would be able to see her straight back and narrow shoulders. In the bustle of the crowd she'd lose the small figure once or twice, and with the pressing streets it would be difficult for Vivienne to pinpoint the girl through emotion alone, a work far more fit for a full-psychic of Harper than a half-ghost.

In the end, Marie would find Whitewater Street by the crashing of the shore and the sight of white canvas against blue sky. This close to the sea, the salt was sharp in the air and in her nose, and there was the unmistakable stench of rotting fish in the air. There were sailors calling out to one another down one side of Whitewater, to the docks, while the other branched off in a downward grade to a row of old weather-beaten buildings and a tallship at an ending pier in the distance.

It was towards the latter that Marie would see the hem of Eleanor's skirt disappear, and by the time she'd caught up to the row of taverns and inns, the girl was gone into a two-story building that looked as if it'd seen better days. From the outside of the Silver Basculin, Eleanor and Abner was nowhere to be seen, and even here Marie would be able to hear the loud common room of the tavern-inn.

Vivienne would be able to become invisible, though slowly and with difficulty, and even then there would be a patch of shadow where her position was still visible. If she'd still wish to venture into the Silver Basculin was a decision that she - or Marie - would have to make, but in the morning sun holding that invisibility would be tiring. Or perhaps it wasn't necessary at all; for all of Eleanor's oddness, she was simply another girl in Marchton, and there was no guarantee that she would have any job that Marie could complete, any reward that she could give.

There was a wind, chilled from both winter and the sea, and it carried with it the sharp tang of salt and the slightest acrid taste of smoke.

--------------------
Eryn
profile & travels
Addie
profile & travels
Iuchra
profile & travels
-

-
user posted image
PCR
| PM |
^
Korosensei
 Posted: Mar 21 2017, 12:52 PM
| Quote |

Stupidface McNoctowl
Head Moderator
Member No. 1923

Characters:

Marie had a hard time keeping up with Eleanor. For all the trouble the girl had with her charmeleon before, she seemed to be doing just fine for now, walking briskly with the pokemon by her side. When he snapped his teeth at a sailor who came too close, Marie felt so utterly confused that she had no idea what to do. Why had Eleanor needed help with her charmeleon if he was behaving just fine? Why had the pokemon's actions and attitude changed so drastically since talking to Marie? And where was the pair headed in such a hurry that Marie kept losing them among the shuffle of the crowd?

As Vivienne struggled to follow Eleanor, Marie kept her going with sweet words of encouragement, urging her on to follow even the slightest wisp of a sensation. It felt odd for Marie to work so closely with a pokemon like this, especially one who was hers, and at the end of the day would remain on her team. She was no stranger to farm pokemon, but they had seemed simpler, their actions out in the open, their emotions plain for anyone to see. But there was something about Vivienne, something hidden deep beneath the surface, that made Marie wonder what was truly going on in the mimikyu's mind.

Said mimikyu tried her hardest to keep up, and finally she reached a place where the noise of the water would take away her concentration almost entirely. The sea smelled lovely to Vivienne, and although she knew she had never seen it before, she couldn't help but feel like there was some kind of memory there. A memory of long ago where she once held this place dear for some reason...

She was distracted as Marie came up next to her, and the pair looked down the street. Eleanor's skirt disappeared into a building called the Silver Basculin, an odd name for a pokemon that could either have a red or a blue stripe. Marie had seen them before by the shore, and she was not too unfamiliar with the species; she began to wonder if there was a reason behind the unusual naming or whether someone simply tried to get creative. She tried to steer her thoughts away from the alternative direction of how much the sight of the shore reminded her of home, of the long days she spent outside with Eugenie watching the sun go up and down as she and her sister looked for shells and wild pokemon to interact with.

But that was another life, and in this one, Marie had decided to follow Eleanor. Suddenly she felt strange about it, like she had actually reached Eleanor's destination with her, and yet her curiosity was piqued. Eleanor was... fancy, for lack of a better word, and the Silver Basculin did not exactly look like a place where a fancy person would go. Eleanor looked far more suited to nobles' homes and neatly pruned gardens than loud taverns on the side of the shore. What in the world was she up to?

Just then, Marie heard a squeak from her mimikyu. "Are you okay?" she said as she knelt down.

"Kyuu..." Vivienne said as the odd shadow on the ground began to turn into the mimikyu again.

"Oh, you are tired perhaps... but we need to go in there..." Marie considered sending Vivienne in alone at first, since Eleanor hadn't paid much attention to the mimikyu once Antoine had hatched, but Marie couldn't justify putting Vivienne in such danger. After all, anyone could be in that tavern, even the Trictess of the city.

A shudder of fear ran through her. She was taking so many risks today, and her heart fluttered away in her chest like a caged butterfly. She had to do something, though, especially since it would look odd for a young woman and a mimikyu to stand in the middle of a raucous street without doing anything at all. "Okay, Vivienne..." she said as she picked up the mimikyu and placed her on her shoulder again. "You did very good, we found her... now I want to see what she is doing in there."

She tried to walk casually towards the entrance to the Silver Basculin, and she hoped she would be able to get inside without making the whole room stop and stare. She hadn't been in many taverns, and whenever she went, she had always been sheltered by a group - but this time she was alone, and she had red hair that sometimes led to her getting calls on the street from men who liked it, and she felt very vulnerable as she opened the door, trying to squeeze through without even opening it fully to expose the common room to the sunlight.

If she managed to get in, Marie - and Vivienne, although without any specific orders - would look for Eleanor, trying to see if she was in trouble, or what else could have brought her to this place. Marie held an apology on her tongue in case Eleanor saw her and got angry, and her hands twitched on Vivienne's poke ball, ready to recall her if the charmeleon tried to attack. Otherwise, she would simply try to adapt to whatever happened next, although her adaptation skills were more than a little bit rusty. She could only hope she would be able to help Eleanor and not get either herself or her pokemon hurt, if the time came.

--------------------

user posted image

The Stonehearted Lady

Past Characters

| PM || Email || ICQ |
^
Flight
 Posted: Mar 29 2017, 02:51 PM
| Quote |

Chaos Eater
Admin
Member No. 1433
Joined on 30-January 14.

Characters:

{ 0.7 EXP for you! }

None would stop Marie from entering the two-story tavern, though there were certainly stares as she passed by various tables, the slightest scent of smoke in the air. She wasn't the only red-head in the room, at least, though she was perhaps the only red-haired woman from Carcassone. It meant that many a sailor turned from their meals and talk to look at whoever had just walked into the room, but all of them would, soon enough, turn back to their own tables.

It wouldn't be hard to find Eleanor, at least - her lavender dress stood out like a pruned flower against a field of dandelions, even as she was sitting down. Abner, in a chair by the side closer to Marie, was curled up. There were wisps of smoke flaring from his nostrils, and a single reptilian-black eye swept around the room.

As Marie approached, he glanced at her, then blinked. He did not react visibly, at least, though neither did he move to gain Eleanor's attention. And perhaps that was for the best, as she was conversing with a slightly older man with the same brilliant blue eyes that she had, muttering under her breath in a tone just low enough that it would be difficult to make out what she said. Her hands were under the table, and not visible from where Marie stood.

Her companion, however, would be perfectly audible. "You know I can't, El," he said, and there was a wryly fond edge to his voice on the nickname. "Just like I can't just let Mother and Father-"

"You know I don't care," Eleanor snapped. Judging by the way her companion leaned back, the loss of temper was apparently not common; the girl breathed in, held it for three long seconds, then breathed out.

Her next words, murmured in lowered heads to the man across from her, would be lost in the din of the tavern room. Neither of them had seemed to notice Marie or her entrance into the Silver Basculin, though the barmaid would have, if the server-boy hurrying over her way was any indication.

Marie had a choice here, in sitting some distance away from Eleanor and the stranger-man and listening in, where the server-boy would direct her to a table some distance away that she'd have to herself. There was also a table of two sailors and a lone merchant nearby, speaking distinctive Carsen that floated above the din of the room, who didn't look like they'd be averse to a fourth joining them.

Or, perhaps, she could speak to the bartender and innkeeper. It was an unacknowledged yet true fact that they were the masters of their domain, and often had tidbits of information they'd share for a bit of coin. One such man was at the back of the room, letting the barmaid serve as he flipped through a thick ledger before him on the counter, an unfezant-feather quill in one hand.

"That doesn't make it any better," the stranger said in response to... something, then grimaced and took a sip out of his tankard. Unseen to him and Eleanor, Abner was still staring at Marie with one eye.

--------------------
Eryn
profile & travels
Addie
profile & travels
Iuchra
profile & travels
-

-
user posted image
PCR
| PM |
^
Korosensei
 Posted: Apr 12 2017, 11:01 PM
| Quote |

Stupidface McNoctowl
Head Moderator
Member No. 1923

Characters:

[[OOC: Carsen dialogue is in italics]]

Marie entered the tavern tentatively, looking around and trying to memorize the faces she saw. There was something comforting in trying to notice her surroundings, especially since Vivienne was still scuttling around on the floor. So many eyes met hers that she felt a strong impulse to turn and run, but there were two reasons why she didn't give up immediately. The little mimikyu depended on her - and maybe Eleanor did too.

She ahd acted so suspiciously, and yet she was so easy to find in the tavern, her lavender dress and charmeleon easily visible even with what felt like a thousand other people. Marie's first move in the tavern was to try to look at what Eleanor was doing, but she soon ended up taking a close look at her conversation partner. The eyes were the same as Eleanor's, and what began as a fledgling idea was soon confirmed in Marie's mind when he said "Mother and Father." No one but a sibling would say those words, and she was now confident that Eleanor was meeting with her brother.

Why was she acting so differently, though? Marie crept through the tavern with all the stealth she could muster. Eleanor had been so concerned with sounding proper; she had slipped a few times when Abner was acting up, but she had switched to her demeanor of nobility nearly instantly again. This time, it looked like Eleanor was having more time keeping her emotions under control - which meant that Marie had a chance to figure out what was going on, if she could find a way to stay within eavesdropping range.

Her eyes roved over the tables. A server-boy was coming closer to her, and she took a deep breath, hesitating to reveal herself openly in case Eleanor noticed her before she had the full story. After all, she was quite distinctive with her red hair and her Carsen accent...

When she first heard the Carsen words, she thought she was dreaming. Who from Carcassone would be there, speaking her language so openly? She let out a relieved sigh as she bent down to Vivienne, scooping up the mimikyu as she tried to muster the bravery to approach the strangers. They felt familiar because of the shared language, but they were still new people.

"Excuse me... is there room for a fourth at the table?" she asked as she approached, hoping the three men would be amenable to her suggestion. If they were, she would slide into an empty chair as inconspicuously as possible, introducing herself as "Marie Roux, pleased to meet you - what brings you here?" She would wait to hear their responses before sharing her purpose, if at all, and she hoped their loud talking would hide the fact that she was there.

In the moment, she was so concerned with finding the people who spoke her language who might be kind to her that she didn't have a backup plan. A quick glance over in Eleanor's direction showed Marie that Abner was still watching her, so if the strangers let her sit at their table, she would keep the mimikyu in her hands and nod at Abner, wondering what the charmeleon had up his sleeve. He certainly seemed to have thought out the situation far more than she did.

If the men didn't let her sit down, she would retreat quietly, nursing her hurts alone as she allowed the server-boy to find her a table by herself. She would let Vivienne sit on the table and she would try to listen in while ignoring the Carsen-speakers, albeit with a twang of pain. Speaking to anyone else at the bar simply never crossed her mind - she was not devious enough to try to plot, nor was she interested in spending what little coin Robert had been able to scrounge for her on information she could get on her own. This was her journey now, and whether or not she found allies in the other bargoers, she was going to stand her ground and try her best to see her mission through.

--------------------

user posted image

The Stonehearted Lady

Past Characters

| PM || Email || ICQ |
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

| Options | | Add Reply || New Topic || New Poll |

RNG & Word Counter

Scrolling Affiliates & Listings
War Is Brewing
PokéFiends Living the Dream: a Pokemon RPG Mutant Revolution Online a resource community BTM affiliates Pokemon: Forever Forgotten

CODE
Skin designed by Daniel of Outline. Gen 7 Pokemon sprites from smogon.