Harper Region is temporarily a private site! Registration is temporarily disabled due to big site updates and due to both admins' life schedules -- moving and degree completion and internships. :) If you need to set up a new account or really, really, really want to register, email Rosalie at orosaliearto@gmail.com with "Harper" in the subject line !

Welcome to Harper Region

Important Links

Staff

Character Count: 101
Ml: 48 - Fml: 51 - Oth: 2
OR - 14 | R - 17 | H - 47 | G - 23

Quick Updates

Weather Conditions

Season: Autumn

With the cooling season of Autumn, Ice-types are starting to re-emerge from their hibernation as Ghost-, Normal-, and Flying-types swarm in the largest numbers they will all year. In comparison, wild Fire- and Bug-type populations are falling in number. The migration of Flying-types to the south in search of warmer weather has also started, as Istin City starts to re-freeze and Autumn marks the beginning of Cypwater Point's rainy season. Handlers and Rogues alike should be wary: Ghost-type powers are boosted during this season, at the cost of being more prone to their triggers.

Sister Sites

Pokemon: Terrene

Click here to vote for us once a day!
Our Topsite:
Harper Region Topsite

• Show Box
  • Hide Box

| Add Reply || New Topic || New Poll |

Kalliope Tamsin's Travels, Kaia
Flight
 Posted: Jun 18 2016, 10:07 PM
| Quote |

judge of the stables
Admin
Total Posts: 999
Member No. 1433
Joined on 30-January 14.

Characters:
Eryn Norwood, Adelaide Hawksworth, Seung Han, Iuchra Nic Longáin (Retired)

Awards: 1

{ Welcome to Harper! Remember to keep an egg count one through twen-

*coughs* You know the drill, yes? http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz241/HarperRegion/Sprites/Emoticons/1.png }

Prologue/RP Sample

Lord Patrick Archer waited a heartbeat, two - and then abruptly broke into a smile, chuckling. He sounded his age of fifty-plus years, though his laughter held more amusement than sharp, cutting mockery. The pokemons gathered around him did not move.

"Bold and brash, aren't you?" he commented. Shifted so that his weight was on one leg more than the other; a hand came down to tangle its fingers in an arcanine's fur. The fire-type seemed to recognize Kalliope, at least, dark eyes bright with intelligence. "Getting straight to the heart of it without preamble."

The Lord held Kalliope's gaze a moment further, searching for something. He wore the clothes of a huntsmen but had his shoulders pressed back in the fashion of noblefolk; he nodded, once. "And being truthful about it, too. Good, good. I'll accept your oath." Archer turned to his right, addressing an empty part of the forest. "See, Kenton? There's some hope left for the youngsters these days!"

At first there was no reply; then the area just inside the treeline shifted, the air rippling like it would above warm stone on one of Summer's hottest days. Then it shifted apart to permit a Guardian decked in scalemail armor, a hand on the longsword slung at his hip. Something yellow behind him moved, stark and sudden against the greenery of the forest; then it revealed itself to be a hypnos, pendulum coiled and tucked within a clawed hand, and waving the illusion away.

"If you say so, sir." There was doubt in his voice but certainty in his stance, and his northerner's blue eyes glanced over Kalliope once before nodding. "Back to the barracks for the basics and a milk run, sir?"

"Ask the good Captain Caranet what she needs done," Archer confirmed. He waved and turned back to the forest; the pack around him moved with him, satisfied that Kalliope wasn't a threat. "You know where to find me!"

Kenton snapped off a salute as Archer left, then sighed. He turned to Kalliope with a tired smile and raised eyebrows. "Lord Archer doesn't take on just anyone to be a Guardian to serve under him, you understand," he said. His tone was casual; the glint in his eye was anything but. "Your actions, for good or for ill, willl reflect on him personally." The Don't mess this up, rookie, was implied.

Soon enough, though, the apparent Kenton let Kalliope off the hook to turn back towards where she'd come from, back down the mountain and into the city, and set off at an easy, ground-eating lope. Evidently he expected the newly-sworn Guardian to follow him. "We'll need to get you proper gear back in the barracks, and a pokemon, as well as a mentor. But first."

Kenton did not stop, but he did turn to look at Kalliope to raise an eyebrow at her. He did not seem to pay attention to the trail, or the lack of one, and yet did not trip, regardless of the roots that tangled beneath their feet and the unbroken forest floor that meant they hadn't reached a proper trail yet. Beside him, the hypnos was keeping up easily. "How did you find the Lord Archer?"

--------------------
Eryn
profile & travels
Addie
profile & travels
Seung
profile & travels
-
user posted image

please refer to me with they/them pronouns!

-
user posted image
PCR | Iuchra
| PM |
^
Kaia
 Posted: Jun 18 2016, 10:38 PM
| Quote |

Top Handler
Background Mods
Total Posts: 365
Member No. 2161
Joined on 29-December 15.

Characters:
Kalliope Tamsin, Namid Waagosh'Giizis

Awards: 3

{Count One}

Kalliope lit up with pleasure. She managed to convince Lord Archer! He was the cream of the crop, the very top of the foodchain in the Pass and she proved herself. Her stance remained the same but the obvious delight flowing through her spread out in waves. She practically glowed with excitement. Dropping into another bow, Kali thanked Lord Archer. "I won't disappoint, sir." As she straightened, her brows tightened into a furrow. Kenton? If Lord Archer hadn't warned her by calling out the man's name she would have had her blade out and up the very second air began to shimmer.

As it was, Kalliope tensed. Fingers brushed her belt where she wore an old, borrowed sword of her father's. The man and hypnos received a thorough study. Kalliope knew there was no way she could have known either of them were there without some sort of psychic or dark pokemon to tell her so but a twinge of disappointment at her own failure struck. She made a mental note to work on seeing through illusion. As if that were a skill she could ever learn. Instead she stood tall, respectful and silent while the two men spoke. These men both outranked her and she owed Lord Archer her fealty.

She certainly wouldn't disappoint him already by asking questions or making a fuss. Kalliope envied Lord Archer's team, though. A hunting pack, a group of pokemon who worked seamlessly together. Few paralleled Lord Archer's skill, no matter how many strove to try. The arcanine in particular was beautiful. Beautiful and incredibly deadly. It could have torn her to shreds with a single swipe of its paw. Kali's hand smacked against her forehead, so quickly did she mimick Kenton's salute. The pain ignored, attention focused on Kenton instead of the Lord disappearing into the forest.

Kalliope dipped her head once in a nod. "I understand. I won't tarnish his name." Kalliope would have continued and explained to Kenton how this had been her dream for years, to work for Lord Archer. To become a guardian. That her whole life had been spent building up to something great and this was only the first step. She could have told him he would die before sullying Lord Archer's name. However, he didn't give her much of a chance. Before she could speak again he was off. Kalliope didn't waste time lingering. Her legs were a little unsteady after chasing the arcanine up the mountain. At least downhill was easier on her legs, though she had to focus more on not tripping.

Mentor? She hadn't realized she'd get a mentor. She wondered who would take over the task. Would they work her to the bone or show her the ropes? Surely they had wisdom in spades to offer her. She grinned, mouth parted just enough for air to expel as she panted. Perspiration gathered along her arms, her hair swung to smack her cheeks. Still she followed on Kenton's heel. Granted she paid a lot more attention to the ground than he ever bothered to. "I tracked him," Came the reply. She wasn't nearly winded yet, he had plenty of endurance despite her run up the mountain.

However, she felt the exertion quite clearly. "I knew he had--a cabin. I found it--and then tracked the footprints." She breathed a little harder as she forced the words through. Roots shot up from the ground all around her feet and she focused her attention downward to maneuver around them. When she got out of the worst of it she continued. "I tracked down--the Arcanine first. He led me to--Lord Archer." That was the gist of it. She doubted he wanted to know how the arcanine pushed her to her limits or that she'd run the two miles up the mountains in pursuit. Rather than rambling out every detail, she awaited his next question or statement.

Besides, right now speaking was a teensy bit difficult. What with the running down the mountain and all.

--------------------
Namid and his Travels
PCR

user posted image
Kalliope and her travels
Incredible sprite by Mackay!

| PM || AIM |
^
Korosensei
 Posted: Jun 22 2016, 08:23 AM
| Quote |

Stupidface McNoctowl
Background Mods
Total Posts: 1614
Member No. 1923
Joined on 24-February 15.

Characters:
Alexander Fitzgerald | Emilie Chartoire

Awards: 5

(+0.7!)

Kenton listened to Kalliope's words, and possibly contemplating something, took a deliberate direction once he saw a trail beginning to the east. He observed Kalliope as they traversed the path, wondering if she might speak again or call out a pokemon. He thought he had a good idea of her personality from the way she had approached Lord Archer, but he wouldn't mind more information.

The path curved along, and the ground became more manageable the closer the pair got to a large brick building surrounded by several Guardians. Kenton walked in front of Kalliope as one of the Guardians in front of the imposing door held up his hand. "Who's the girl?"

"A new recruit. Lord Archer sent me here to get her started." The Guardian took a look at Kalliope, perhaps trying to memorize her features to remember her for later, and then waved a hand indicating for the others to relax. Kenton was then able to walk forward towards the door, his hypno stepping in front of Kalliope as they entered the barracks.

The main room was buzzing with people and pokemon. A spritzee flitted around near a young woman's head, and a houndour wove its way through the legs of the assembled Guardians to approach Kenton and Kalliope. A small dedenne squeaked in fright and scampered up Kenton's pant leg as the houndour stopped in front of the newcomer, letting out a single bark.

"Oh, come on," a female voice broke through the crowd, and several people moved aside to let her through. She was tall and blonde, with short hair and long legs, and her uniform was more elaborate than the typical Guardian's. "Heel, Brutus," she said in a stern voice, and the houndour turned to look at her before sitting by her side, still staring at Kalliope. "I apologize - Brutus is new to my team and he's still in training. I take it you're the new arrival? Welcome to the barracks. I am Captain Sophia Caranet, and I'm running things around here while Lord Archer is out."

Although she wasn't quite as formal as Kenton had been at the beginning, there was no doubt she knew what she was doing as she proceeded through the next steps. "Do you have a pokemon yet?" When Kenton shook his head, she smiled and motioned for someone to get a poke ball sitting on a nearby table. "This one should do well with you." She offered the ball to Kalliope along with a pokemon egg. "Here's a welcome gift. I look forward to seeing your contributions to the Guard," she said with a smile.

Now that this business had been taken care of, Kenton asked, "Should I get Kalliope here started on a milk run?"

Captain Caranet frowned slightly. "Ordinarily, I'd say yes, but it seems your timing is fortuitous. One of our suppliers at Brown Farms let us know there's been something messing with his miltanks lately, he's had two die and another two go missing. I was going to send Oliver to take a look, but some backup wouldn't hurt at all."

Kenton nodded and took his leave shortly after, although he lingered for a few minutes in case Kalliope had any questions about how Harper's Pass handled milk runs or anything else about the mission. "Oliver should be here soon; he's working with his scyther outside. Feel free to stay around here in the meantime," she said before she departed as well.

Kalliope had time to meet her pokemon then, if she wanted to, or to think of strategies for the mission. She might also be able to interact with the pokemon in the room - although the houndour was sticking close to Captain Caranet, the spritzee was now flitting from person to person, and a young plusle and minun chattered and sparked eagerly in the corner.

However Kalliope spent the few minutes until the door opened was her choice, but when a tall broad man with a unibrow entered, he walked straight towards her. "Sorry I'm running a bit late; Ketch here decided he needed to have a post-training snack. You must be Kalliope," he said as he stretched his hand out. The scyther stood by his side, eagerly looking around the room. "So you've heard about the mission, yes? I know the Browns, they're good people, I feel terrible about what's happening to their miltanks." He shook his head slightly, then indicated for Kalliope to follow him as he approached the door to leave the room.

"I can tell you a bit more about the farm if you'd like to know, but we should probably get going soon. There's a shop near here if you need to stock up on supplies, and your pokemon is welcome to be out of its poke ball as long as you can keep it close to you. Is there anything you need to do before we depart?" He sounded genuinely concerned about the farm, so it might not be best to dawdle, but there would always be time for a pokemon meeting if Kalliope hadn't opted to open the poke ball before, or a short shop run. What she did next was her choice.

--------------------

user posted image

Past Characters

Korosensei's Post Count Rewards
Caledonia picture by August! Alexander and Casper sprites by Mackay!
| PM || Email || ICQ |
^
Kaia
 Posted: Aug 15 2016, 01:19 AM
| Quote |

Top Handler
Background Mods
Member No. 2161

Characters:

{Egg Count 2+3 from leveling up= 5}

Kalliope observed the barracks with quick, calculating eyes. More than she expected gathered at once and yet less than a fraction of the number of guardians in the city. Surely there were multiple barracks and posts throughout the city. The houndour was unexpected, so straightforward and yapping at her arrival. Kalliope held out a hand and gestured, offering the canine a smile. "Hello there." She was about to ask it if she might pet its soft head when a woman strode forward and brought Brutus the houndour to heel. Instantly Kali realigned to proper formation.

Both hands clasped behind her back and her chin tipped up and outward. The women's gazes met and Kalliope dropped to a short, formal bow before returning to her stance. "No trouble at all. He's a handsome pokemon." The difference between Brutus and Lord Archer's arcanine were striking. They were of two vastly different castes. Where arcanine had been all tamed force and fury like someone bottling a violent storm, the houndour was a wild fire. Youth and exuberance set against controlled experience. Kali didn't know why her mind went to these two different beasts so profoundly.

No, that was a lie.

Kalliope felt herself more like the houndour. Rough and untrained but filled with passion. And Lord Archer, someone she highly admired and looked up to, was much like the refined arcanine. One day she hoped both she and Brutus could match Lord Archer and his team. Quietly she wished him luck. Her attention waned from the canines to the pokeball and egg handed over to her. One was small and nondescript, shiny and warm as all pokeballs were. The other weighted and full of potential. One hand slipped the pokeball into her belt then immediately plucked her satchel from her shoulder. "Thank you very much, ma'am. I appreciate your gifts and will take care of them."

While the Senior Guardian spoke with Kenton, Kali rearranged a few things in her bag to better pad the pokemon egg. She wondered briefly what was in it but knew there would be no way to tell until it hatched. Anticipation matched impatience as she slid the satchel back over her shoulders and focused on the pair of guardians. Excitement screamed. She was about to step into her future as a guardian. All she wanted to do was leap into the fray and prove herself yet she knew she must be put through her paces and examined well before she could even begin the training itself.

Except...

A mission!

Sure, it wasn't a grandiose mission like hunting down bandits. But it could turn into a bandit hunt. Whether a carnivorous pokemon was the cause or a vengeful neighbor or even some stupid kids playing pranks that went wrong, she was going to investigate. Kalliope bowed once more toward the Captain, thanking her again before addressing Kenton with a few questions. "I understand this isn't considered a milk run. What is a milk run, if I might ask?" She slid out of her military stance for a more casual, if equally as straight-backed, pose. "Is it often a trainee is sent off as backup for investigations?" This question was more along the lines of her own curiosity than anything. If she could hop on to all sorts of missions as back up think of all the experience she could glean!

However, once answered Kalliope would wave Kenton goodbye - as well as the intimidating hypno - and focus instead on the pokeball she was gifted with. The pokemon within might be anything. A deino or a sentret. Sandshrew, ekans, paras, houndour. Anything. The possibilities swam in front of her mind and she shivered as her finger slid over the button. One click and she'd meet her life-long partner. Without more than a few moments' cherishing she popped the pokeball and blinked away the blinding flash. Kalliope had a split second to see the small, white creature which stood in front of her before a heinous screaming filled her mind to the rafters.

She dropped to her knees with both hands clasped to her temples. A cry wrenched from her throat, cut short before she startled too many around her. The screaming dropped octaves in spades until it became a dull roar like the call of some legendary pokemon beyond her dreams. White-hot light sliced through her mind like a sharpened dagger through soft butter. Easily and almost pitiably. Flashes filled her thoughts, so brief she barely saw one before replaced with another. What couldn't have been more than a single minute drowned out and dragged along endlessly. The white heat parted and she heard a single clear voice in her head. Masculine, sonorous. Like a magnificent vocalist in the center of a cavern. Echoing magnificence that rolled along itself until it became something more.

Something deafening.

Kalliope grit her teeth and focused. Who are you? The voice ricocheted and she winced. "...a," Her mouth worked but the pain stopped her throat. If she spoke aloud, she might scream. Kalliope Tamsin. She didn't think it would work but the voice made a low sound. What makes you think you deserve my skills? It was about this time Kali realized who she was talking to. The pain and oppressive presence in her mind had blocked out any and all outward thought. She had only been able to see and hear what the pokemon allowed her to. She struggled to focus her mind on something other than his question. To open her eyes, perhaps. The pokemon scoffed.

Weak human. You're not worthy. He announced, unperturbed. You will regret taking my pokeball.

I'll prove my worth. Kalliope met the voice and his presence head-on, pressing her own conscience back against the heavy pressure. I will be a great guardian. I will do everything in my power to prove it . Nothing can hold me back, just you wait and see. The voice didn't respond. She felt him there clear as day, like she could reach out and touch him. Which, well. She could have. Gradually the light faded, so slowly she didn't notice it at first. Then the roiling sounds like crashing waves faded to a dull roar and then to nothing at all. Kalliope blinked.

Light and color replaced the blinding white. Sort of. The sound of the others flooded her senses as did the onslaught of faces and pokemon. But the only one she had eyes for was the one directly in front of her, its expression hidden by a shining green fringe. A ralts. A tiny, adorable thing. Kalliope sensed an immense dislike of this estimation and she bit her lip. "Apologies. I didn't realize that would offend you." Still on her knees, Kali gave it a little bow and held out her hand in offering. "Let me introduce myself properly. I'm Kalliope Tamsin. I just joined the guardians today and most people call me Kali. You can call me whatever you like." She grinned.

"Now, I believe you deserve a name as well, don't you?" Kali sensed a sharp intake and a distinct refusal. I have a name. I'm Kazimir. Kalliope blinked in surprise. Pokemon didn't usually come with a name unless they had a previous trainer. Well, it wasn't her business to ask. Instead she gave him a smile. "Pleasure to meet you, Kazimir. I look forward to working with you." Though much of his face was covered Kali had the impression Kazimir was staring at her, whether in consternation or curiosity she had no clue.

About this time the door swept open and Oliver stepped forward. Kalliope rose to her feet, knees absently dusted. She took his hand with a brisk, firm shake. "No apology necessary. I'm here to assist however you need me." She nodded once when he asked of the mission. "I know the basics. If there's anything else I need to know, I can learn on the walk there." Eager she was. Too eager, one might say. But the combination of joining the Guardians and getting Lord Archer's approval on top of getting a precious, rare pokemon like Kazimir?

Today couldn't have gone better if she'd been handed a key to an expensive mansion and a vault full of gold. She could have been named new queen of Harper and given anything she liked and still wouldn't be as pleased as she was at that moment. A ralts! Such a strong one, for one so young as he. "I have all I need. Let's proceed directly to the farm and deal with the situation. I have no doubt they're as good a people as you say and they shouldn't be kept waiting on my part. I'll follow your lead." With that she glanced down at Kazimir, who stared levelly at her beneath green bangs.

"Would you like to stay in your pokeball? It might be a long trip." The sharp refusal bowled her over. Kali stepped back to keep her balance, then tucked away the pokeball immediately. "Of course. Please, I would love your company. We might get to know each other better." She smiled. He stared silently back. As soon as they were off Kazimir would stay directly to her right, never more than a foot away and matching her pace the whole way. "We're ready when you are, Oliver."

--------------------
Namid and his Travels
PCR

user posted image
Kalliope and her travels

| PM || AIM |
^
Korosensei
 Posted: Aug 25 2016, 01:25 PM
| Quote |

Stupidface McNoctowl
Background Mods
Member No. 1923

Characters:

(0.7!)

Oliver smiled at Kalliope's eagerness, refreshed to see someone so excited for a mission that could be very boring. "We use a lot of milk here at the barracks, and we also provide milk for a local widow to sell at her stand, but she's too old to make the journey anymore. So, generally once a week, someone goes out and picks up milk from some farmers in a small village to the east. It's not the most thrilling of missions, but it's a good test for who has potential in the Guardians." In addition to testing the new Guardian's prowess, there was a hidden purpose. If a newbie complained about the milk run, he or she was often put on a slower track to teach them some humility and the value of hard work.

He didn't suspect Kalliope would be one of these, though, since she already seemed so eager. "This is more than a milk run, as you said. The Browns are one of the two major suppliers in town, so our mission will have two parts. Each of these parts will correspond to one of the major duties of a Guardian." He nodded for her to follow as he started to walk. "The first is dealing with a crisis. Disappearing miltanks might not sound like a crisis to everybody, but to the Browns, it most certainly is. Second, and perhaps even more important, we will be trying to prevent a similar crisis from happening at the other major supplier. With both farms down, things would escalate a lot, and we can't afford to let that happen - fiscally, or for the good of the community."

A moment later, Kalliope fell to the ground, a scream cut short. Frantically, Oliver looked over, wondering if she was all right, but his questions didn't even go in one ear. She was too busy with the ralts standing near her, and even though the pokemon didn't look like it was doing anything, Oliver knew this was a test of a different sort. While most recruits weren't tested quite so much on the first day, he was beginning to get a glimpse of why Lord Archer may have selected this particular pokemon for Kalliope. She was already eager, but now she needed to learn about the often-difficult reality of being a Guardian.

He waited for her to emerge from her trance-like state, and noticed that she still greeted the pokemon politely. Another positive sign. He nodded at Kalliope, and Ketch would look down curiously as well as he stretched tall, his blade-arms held high over his head. Noting her eagerness once again, Oliver figured she didn't want to go to the General Store, so he held the door of the base open for her as the two began their journey.

East of Harper's Pass, there wasn't much at all - except for a small route where several villages rested. Their destination was a little over a day away, and they would have time to talk considering they had about a day’s journey to go. The terrain would get rockier as they kept going, and Oliver would offer a solemn warning as Ketch took the lead: “We have to remember to watch our footing. The geodudes in this area have a habit of pretending to be rocks, and they get very angry if disturbed. Perhaps now might be a good time to hconverse with your pokemon about mission protocol,” he offered gently, hoping that the ralts wouldn’t incapacitate Kalliope at inconvenient moments.

As they kept going, the terrain would get rougher, and although he was a confident walker, Oliver still rested a hand on Ketch's shoulder when the terrain got too difficult to manage alone. Although it may have been difficult for humans, the pokemon were able to acclimate to the area just fine; several pokemon were in the immediate area, and Kalliope or Kazimir may be able to spot more hiding in the mountainous terrain. A rhyhorn managed to blend in, more or less, but a faint grumbling might alert the Guardians to its presence. A late-blooming sunkern bounced nearby as well, hiding from a spearow in the sparse foliage.

Pokémon Around

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz241/HarperRegion/Sprites/111rhyhorn.png http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz241/HarperRegion/Sprites/e335251.gif

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz241/HarperRegion/Sprites/191sunkern.png http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz241/HarperRegion/Sprites/e335252.gif

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz241/HarperRegion/Sprites/21spearow.png http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz241/HarperRegion/Sprites/e335252.gif

--------------------

user posted image

Past Characters

| PM || Email || ICQ |
^
Kaia
 Posted: Sep 8 2016, 03:43 PM
| Quote |

Top Handler
Background Mods
Member No. 2161

Characters:

{Egg count: 6+3+3 for leveling up twice=12}

Kalliope wouldn't have minded if this were a normal milk run. She understood the necessity of using the lowest on the totem pole for grunt work. She hadn't yet proved herself as a force to be reckoned with, what else were they to do? And someone needed to do the job. Guardian training was hard work. If a trainee couldn't hack it at the easy stuff, they didn't deserve to become a true Guardian. Kalliope also believed in respecting one's elders and helping them when they needed it. Perhaps it was her father's influence. He lay sick and dying in bed and she'd spent years taking care of him. The only reason she was here and not with him was because he loved her dearly and couldn't bear letting her watch him die while her life fled by. He was a good man and he looked much older than his years.

Kalliope nodded. "I understand. I'm happy to help." She took in Kenton's breakdown of the mission and considered it. "If one seller's miltanks are disappearing the obvious first suspect is their rival. But if you're worried their miltanks are at risk as well..." She tapped her chin. "Who profits? Is there another, less profitable farm that provides milk? Or perhaps someone's driving up the price of milk for other reasons. Causing a rift between the farms is dangerous too. Feuds can last generations." Kalliope let her mind run through the various reasons for such theft but ultimately the investigation would answer her queries.. "Whatever the reason, we need to investigate. I understand the urgency, sir."

The trek itself wasn't particularly exhausting though the exertion was more than a simple road might have been. Kalliope's breath drew even and a sheen of sweat dusted her forehead but otherwise shew was pretty hale and comfortable with the trip. Kalliope nodded her understanding when Oliver advised her to watch her footing but questioned the comment of protocol. Kali wondered...she opened her mind, stopped for a few moments, and called out softly, Can you hear me? No response. She shrugged and continued on her way. She addressed the ralts at her side, keeping pace despite the rocky territory.

"I know we've just met so it's still pretty strange being my partner but let me tell you where we're going." She patiently explained everything Kenton told her earlier in as much detail she knew. "It's our job to find out what's going on and how to stop it from happening again." She turned to smile at him. He didn't look up. Why should I care? He demanded, the sharp pain of his voice stabbing into her skull. She flinched. "Because we're a team. It's important to share information so we can do our job."

It's not my job, it's yours. He sniffed derisively, a strange sound in her mind. You can do it yourself. He closed off the connection with such a snap Kali tripped. The empty hollow of her skull where his presence once sat was surprisingly noticeable. She wondered if he had in fact heard her earlier and simply chose not to respond. Kalliope fixed her balance. "That's fine. It's my first mission, after all and we've only just met. It would be unfair of me to expect you to do my job." Kazimir's head whipped to the side, glaring up at her under his hair. She sensed his probing and opened to him easily.

"If you want to stay on the sidelines and watch that's perfectly alright. When you're comfortable joining the mission, or not, feel free to say so. Otherwise I won't ask you to do anything you don't want to do." She eyed him, small smile on her lips. "Of course, I hope you would help if a pokemon attacked. But I can handle it if not." The last was a boast and he sensed it immediately. Latching onto the honest truth that she probably couldn't survive an electric shock or a freezing attack or any numerous things pokemon could do, he scoffed.

If I have to protect a measly human such as you, fine. But I'm not doing anything because you tell me to. Kazimir was surprised by the acceptance of this in her head, so easily and happily offered. He blinked. "Deal. I won't order you around, I'll only ask your help if I need it. That's a fair trade. You are my partner, after all." Kazimir remained silent, though on his mind was the question who decided we were partners? It was halfhearted, though.

--------------------
Namid and his Travels
PCR

user posted image
Kalliope and her travels

| PM || AIM |
^
Korosensei
 Posted: Sep 13 2016, 11:37 AM
| Quote |

Stupidface McNoctowl
Background Mods
Member No. 1923

Characters:

(0.7!)

Oliver observed Kalliope and listened carefully to her words, pleased that he had been assigned a junior partner who knew how to think for herself. He had experienced it the other way around in the past, and he hadn’t appreciated it at all. Missions for two people usually needed effort from both people, and while he was glad to play his part, he didn’t - and sometimes couldn’t - shoulder the whole load.

He smiled at her when she finished speaking, and thought for a few moments about how to respond. He had been thinking about the mission one way, and perhaps it might be better to think of it in another - which was another plus to having a competent partner. “You bring up a good point, Kalliope. If the Browns are being threatened by their neighboring farm - the Millers, I know them as well - it might be smarter to go there first and try to head them off before any harm can be done. What do you think?” He would pause then, the wild rhyhorn’s rumbling beginning to get louder. Ketch looked up at the noise, and responded by sharpening his blades. If there was a fight to come, he would be ready.

Oliver was just about to offer a suggestion of his own when a scream broke out, coming from around the rocky trail. Neither he nor Kalliope could see the source of the shouting, but it sounded female and young, and without hesitation Oliver jumped into action, sprinting towards the noise.

Assuming Kalliope followed him, she would have to be careful to not slip on any of the nearby rocks, but even with the extra time it took to be careful, it wouldn’t take her long to find a young woman huddled over on the ground, crying or screaming - or perhaps both - as she stroked what Oliver assumed was a pokemon.

“Ma’am, what’s wrong? Are you hurt? How can I - ” His speech broke off abruptly as he looked around her huddled form. He withdrew his hand when he saw what she was next to, and his entire demeanor changed.

“How did you come by that pokemon?” he asked, in a stern voice.

“I didn’t do it!” she blubbered, her words obscured by her tears as well as a heavy Carsen accent. Thick black hair hung down almost to her waist, and she wore a white cotton shirt and an apron on top of what looked like leather pants.

“How did it die, then?”

“I don’t - I didn’t do it! I didn’t!”

It was only when the woman brushed her long hair aside and kneeled facing the two Guardians that Kalliope got a good look at the pokemon behind her. The miltank was not moving, its chest not rising and falling even the slightest bit. And yet there was no obvious cause of death, no gaping wound or puddle of blood, at least as far as Kalliope could see. The corpse rested on its left side, and she could make out the beginning of a brand pattern on the miltank’s mostly-concealed right flank.

Even whether it had just expired or had been dead for a while wasn’t immediately observable to Kalliope. She could try to get a closer look, and perhaps even try to sketch the cattle brand somewhere so she could identify it later, but she’d have to get closer to the woman… What would she do?

-------------

Young woman
- Crying and blubbering “I didn’t!” in a strong Carsen accent
- Kneeling only a few inches away from the dead miltank, her hand on it

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz241/HarperRegion/Sprites/241miltank.png
- Dead, but cause of death is unclear
- Partially visible cattle brand on right flank

--------------------

user posted image

Past Characters

| PM || Email || ICQ |
^
Kaia
 Posted: May 22 2017, 06:30 PM
| Quote |

Top Handler
Background Mods
Member No. 2161

Characters:

Egg count 13

Kalliope shook her head. "If the Millars are threatening anyone, they won't be honest with us no matter how we approach them. We can't trust what they say until we've spoken to the Browns." They didn't have any tangible information. They had yet to see a single dead miltank. Not to accuse the Browns of falsehood, but no proof meant no way to be sure of the truth. "We should proceed as originally planned." If Kalliope's parents were to hear their daughter then they might have fainted. Not one for foresight was Kali. But this was her first mission. What happened here would pave the way to her entire future. Even Kalliope couldn't be rash, though she itched to do so. Her arms, casually held at her side, tightened with the force of energy used to keep them in place. Her thighs and calves bulged with kinetic energy, bouncing between one foot and the next.

Stalk straight, Kali attempted to appear calm. Her chin tilted in the opposite direction of the ryhorn, ear poised to catch any stray sound. "We should--" Words died on her lips as if they'd never been. The scream cut through the air hit Kali like a donphan. The only reason Oliver beat her to the woman's side lay in the shape of the ralts slung into her arms. An indignant Hey! smacked her skull like a hammer she barely ignored. Long legs opened into a lope. Kalliope leaped over stray stone and patches of suspiciously smooth dirt, managing to collide to a stop behind Oliver scant seconds in his wake.

Only Kazimir's mind numbing buzzing forced Kali to put him down before kneeling beside the woman. Kali saw the dead Pokémon about the time Oliver changed his tone and the woman began to sob. The excess energy from the run and pounding adrenaline siphoned into a knot behind her breastbone. In one breath, Kalliope opened her senses and took in the details. The miltank's brand caught her eyes. rather than pity or disgust or curiosity, she took note of its location and focused on the girl. Oliver would recognize it decades before she might pick out the original design from fur and age. The miltank told her nothing so she reached out to the girl.

Kali's fingers hooked over the girl's shoulder. The touch offered comfort to the ignorant. It offered some semblance of comfort--but with the right bite of pressure Kali could pin her or drive unrelenting pain into the tender nerves. "Ma'am." Kalliope took the girl's wrist with her free hand. "Miss. Tell me your name." Kali rubbed her thumb over the delicate bones of her wrist. "How did you come to be here? Where are you from?" Rather than impede Oliver's questioning Kali simply took over. With a shift of her hips and the grip on the girl's shoulder, Kali angled the girl toward her. "Is there a reason we find you beside a deceased miltank stolen from our client's farm?"

Kali took a leap. She didn't know where the miltank was from nor if it had been stolen. If she was wrong the girl would reveal herself by accident. After she gave her name and answered Kali's questions - presuming she does - Kali will have taken the girl's pulse and breathing pattern. If she answered and caught Kalliope out, she would think of something. If the girl didn't answer at all, they would take her with them. Everything depended on the girl. Unfortunately for her, Kalliope was on the hunt and she wouldn't let go for anything.

((I will add coding when I'm on my computer))

--------------------
Namid and his Travels
PCR

user posted image
Kalliope and her travels

| PM || AIM |
^
Korosensei
 Posted: Jun 2 2017, 09:22 AM
| Quote |

Stupidface McNoctowl
Background Mods
Member No. 1923

Characters:

[[ +0.7 EXP for you! Remember to add your musical trick at the top of your posts. I’m starting it here with a bang http://files.jcink.net/uploads/harperregion/sprites/emoticons/13.png ]]

The stranger stiffened when she felt Kalliope’s hand on her shoulder, but she seemed too distraught to try to fight back. She took deep, gulping breaths mixed with sobs, and even after Kalliope asked her for her name, it took her several moments to answer.

“Adeline,” she said with shaking breaths. She tried to calm herself down by looking at Kalliope, the touch reassuring her that she was not with an enemy. “I work for the farm.”

Oliver quieted down, noticing Kalliope’s success, and turned his gaze to the dead miltank as Kalliope asked her second question. Adeline began to shake, looking nervously between the miltank and Kalliope. “I did not kill it, I swear! It wasn’t me!” she said. “I was getting water and I saw this miltank all alone. I tried to help it, but it was walking so slow, and then it just fell over and wouldn’t stand up - and then you came!” She held both of her hands up. “I have no pokemon, no weapons - how could I kill it?”

“There are ways,” Oliver interjected, shooting a look at Kalliope to make sure she was considering all sides of the issue.

“But it wasn’t me, it was them, I know it was them even though I didn’t see it!” Adeline said, desperation creeping back into her tone.

“Who’s ‘them’? What’s going on?” Oliver interjected into the silence.

“They’re - they’re taking them - ”

“They’re taking who? Where?” Oliver asked as Adeline shuddered again.

And, suddenly, a voice appeared out of nowhere.

They’re taking the miltanks to Miller’s farm!

Well. That was odd.

Kalliope would only have mere moments to look - and see six litwicks bobbing their flamed heads - in time for them to burst out in song. She might not remember seeing the very first litwick in a pumpkin patch in autumn, but he would remember her, and he would begin his part with a grin.

They're taking the miltanks to Miller’s farm! the first litwick said, his low timbre recognizable. It was the one who had spoken earlier.
They're taking the miltanks to Miller’s farm! another litwick chimed in. This one was also male, but with a slightly higher voice.
They're taking the miltanks to Miller’s farm! the third in the line added, a female this time, with a high, squeaky voice.

They're taking the miltanks to Miller’s farm! sang the fourth, a male with a not-very-melodious voice.
They're taking the miltanks to Miller’s farm! the fifth sang enthusiastically, getting very much into her dance moves.
They're taking the miltanks to Miller’s farm! the sixth, a female, concluded the verse, unable to resist a small giggle.

They're taking the miltanks to Miller’s farm!
Farm
Farm
Farm
Farm!

Kalliope would realize exactly how coordinated the litwicks were during this verse - as each said “farm,” they popped up one after the other, jumping to create the effect of a wave of flame.

Farm
Farm
Fa-farm
Farm!

Aside from a second leap from the fourth litwick, which earned him a strange look, the others continued the pattern.

What did you say? the sixth litwick said, moving out of the line and standing in front of the other five. She watched her fellows as they swayed together, leaning left, then right, then left once more.

The miltanks!
The miltanks!
The miltanks!
The miltanks!
To Miller’s farm!
To Miller’s farm! the sixth litwick echoed. Clearly having the question answered five times was enough for him...

The miltanks!
The miltanks!
The miltanks!
The miltanks!
To Miller’s farm!
To Miller’s farm!

The miltanks!
The miltanks!
The miltanks!
The miltanks!
To Miller’s farm!
To Miller’s farm!

They're taking the miltanks to Miller’s
Farm
Farm-
Fa-
Fa-
Farm!

For a long time, it seemed like the litwicks were just going to dance. The second and fourth used Will-o-Wisp on the air, conjuring a ring of fire that the others leaped through as they hummed enthusiastically. If Kalliope could tear her eyes away from the bizarrely riveting dance, she might notice their tone was changing - or, at least, they were beginning to sing something different.

I’ll tell you where is Jordan
For you’ll much desire to speak with him!

Who was Jordan? What was… were the litwicks trying to give Kalliope a clue?

I’ll tell you where is Jordan
For you’ll much desire to speak with him!

He’s down by the river
What did you say? the sixth piped up again, now turning to face Kalliope, making sure she knew he was talking to her.

He’s down by the river
What did you say?

Stupid fat miltanks! the third yelped.
Stupid fat miltanks!

Slow and hurt miltanks!

The third litwick looked like she was about to squeak out an apology before the first said (rather than singing), in no uncertain terms, Leave now... And never come back!

Well. It appeared that Kalliope and Oliver - and perhaps Adeline too - would have to leave the area.

“I know where the river is, it’s by Jordan’s farm – Jordan Miller, my… friend,” Adeline piped up, the first to speak as the litwicks continued to bob up and down as they finished the instrumental portion of their song.

Oliver looked over to Kalliope, not making his own comments on the weird song or the way Adeline had responded to the ideas it brought out. What would she choose to do, now that she would have to leave the immediate area thanks to the singing ghost-types?

I’m a terrible person but oh my god this was so much fun

Also, in case you want to sing along, you can find the song here!

--------------------

user posted image

Past Characters

| PM || Email || ICQ |
^
Kaia
 Posted: Jul 17 2017, 08:21 PM
| Quote |

Top Handler
Background Mods
Member No. 2161

Characters:

(Egg count 14; post one of four for being Tricked)

Kalliope didn't jump up and cheer that her tactic worked, though she swelled with satisfaction as the girl began to speak. Adeline, huh? From the farm where this dead miltank came from, no doubt. The girl's immediate defense against the accusations registered. Kalliope noted the high pitch and the shaking hands. She listened to each word, each denial. Fetching water. In what? Kalliope looked around for a bucket or some such item. Where was she fetching the water? Sure, she didn't have any weapons that they could see. Kali was tempted to search the girl.

Kalliope would interject as soon as Oliver stopped interrogating the girl. She agreed with Oliver that weapons weren't the only way to kill someone, even if she was unarmed that meant nothing. Kalliope took a breath. As soon as the girl stopped shrilly denying her hand in the miltank's death, Kali would pounce. And then.

And then something began to sing. Kalliope turned to look over her shoulder, then swiveled completely around, despite the fact that having the girl at her back was dangerous if she was a killer. But how could anyone do anything but stare at the sudden onslaught of litwicks? Not just litwicks...but singing litwicks? Taking the miltanks to Miller's farm. If she hadn't been certain after the first few bars, the repetition of the evidence was hard to misunderstand. Eyes wide, Kali stared at the pokemon wide-eyed. Before their song could start to grate on her sanity, they changed.

Jordan. Jordan who? By what river? Kalliope's mind swam. What were these litwicks doing? Why were they here? She didn't remember making her trick or treat wish weeks ago. Slow and hurt miltanks. The river. Jordan. "Who are you? Why are you telling me this?" Kalliope demanded. "Why should we leave? What's the point of running away? Tell me what you know." Her attention wavered only when Adeline spoke. She knew Jordan? Oh, this was just perfect. By perfect she meant ridiculous. What was she supposed to do, listen to some singing pokemon who rambled about a river?

Kalliope breathed. Kazimir grabbed her trouser leg and yanked. He glared at her and glared at the ghost types. I can kill them. They're annoying. The ralts puffed out his little chest. She sensed his killing intent swelling in her mind. Kalliope immediately knelt down. Don't. We don't know what's going on yet. If you kill them, we won't know why they're here. Let's just figure things out. Kazimir flashed angrily in her mind and yanked out with a jolt of pain. Kali bit her cheek to avoid crying out. After a second she got to her feet and looked at Adeline.

"If you were going to get water, where are your buckets? Where were you going to get water anyway, the river? The one this Jordan person is waiting for some reason to talk to us?" She asked. If her tone was a little sharp, keep in mind she was just assaulted by singing litwicks about dead miltanks. Anyone might be a bit perturbed. "Isn't there a place much closer to your farm to fetch water? I imagine there has to be if you have a multitude of miltanks to keep healthy." Kalliope cut the distance between them.

"Why do say the Millers are taking miltanks? Why are they taking other people's' miltanks, what do you really know of it? Are you helping them? Are you helping Jordan?" She looked the girl up and down. Kali couldn't trust her, not without more information. Her story didn't check out completely. The litwicks, still hanging around, only made her more distrusting rather than less. "Show me where Jordan is, and the river. Show us where the miltanks are. If you tell us the truth and can prove it we won't arrest you for murdering this miltank. If this is a setup I promise you'll regret it, understand me Adeline?"

Kalliope met the girl's eyes and stared her down to make sure the girl understood one hundred percent. "If this is a misunderstanding, we'll deal with it. You're not getting out of our sight until we figure this out. Lead the way." Kalliope glanced at Oliver. She wasn't looking for vindication or agreement. Her eyes glowed. Despite the risks, or perhaps because of them, she looked--excited. This was more than a milk run. This was--this was something. Murder, kidnapping, a clever trick by some ghost types. This was interesting. And Kali got to have a hand in solving the mystery.

She was so psyched.

--------------------
Namid and his Travels
PCR

user posted image
Kalliope and her travels

| PM || AIM |
^
Korosensei
 Posted: Jul 31 2017, 10:26 AM
| Quote |

Stupidface McNoctowl
Background Mods
Member No. 1923

Characters:

[[ +0.7 EXP for you! ]]

As the litwicks continued their song, the one in front cackled at Kalliope's questions, not even bothering to pause the other litwicks as they continued their chorus. Once the song was over, they promptly faded into the background, leaving six glowing flames as the only indication of their location. A soft whispering sound, like a breeze flowing through the rushes, would accompany the six swaying flames as they took to the background, allowing Adeline's words to be heard.

She still seemed unperturbed by the impromptu chorus, but something in Kalliope's tone made her seem even more nervous than before. "My bucket - I dropped it when I found her. I was trying to get her to... to this place I know." Her eyes darted between Kalliope and Oliver, then she looked over to the swaying flames, perhaps hoping for another convenient song to get her out of having to give a proper answer. "Jordan is not waiting to talk to us, he was waiting for me - we are friends, like I said." She looked distressed again, trying to find some way to avoid Kalliope's continuous stream of questions.

The next barrage of questions made her eyes dart faster, but it was the idea that she could be charged with murder that made her hold onto the miltank's corpse possessively. Her head swiveled again as she looked at Oliver, who clearly recognized the miltank's brand, and Kalliope, who seemed as determined as ever to get all the facts out of her. Lowering her head, she sighed, and began to speak.

"I did not murder this miltank - I found her trying to escape from the Miller farm. She was sick, and I was supposed to bring her back so she could get healed. But when I saw her, she looked too sick to move, and I couldn't get her back to the farm before she died." Adeline's words got more rushed, her tone nearly frantic. "I know it is wrong, but Jordan is my friend, and his father - his father hates me, and I thought if Farmer Miller likes me, he will stop making threats at me - so I said I would get the one that ran away, but I did not think she would die, or I would see Guardians!" She took what felt like a long pause, then looked Kalliope straight in the eyes. "If you make the charge that Jordan knew, or that Jordan murdered a miltank, you will have to take me too, because I knew about it."

For someone who had been so frightened moments earlier, Adeline now looked eerily calm - or at least she did before the lead litwick materialized once more, perhaps intending to make good on his threat to make the small group "leave now and never come back."

"I can take you to Jordan, and it will make sense," she said, now looking ashamed.

When she stood up, the other five litwicks materialized, jumping one after the other as they formed a line behind Adeline, after which Oliver began to follow without hesitation. Kalliope would have to follow him, as his junior partner.

Before they could take more than a few steps, however, the lead litwick who had threatened the small group before made a loud noise and then began to sing:
Jordan!
Jordan!
Jordan!
He's who you're gonna see! the fourth litwick chimed in in a rather squeaky voice before the lead litwick took the reins again.

Jordan is the Miller farmer’s son
Jordan of course knows what's going on
Here with Jordan everyone will sing a great big song
Before the priest will ring the marriage gong!

The two litwicks who hadn't yet participated used their illusions to create the image of a miltank dancing as the other four swayed in time.
Moo!
Moo!

Miltanks are away

Moo!
Moo! The miltank illusion returned again, but as the group neared the farm, Kalliope might notice a small pail out of the corner of her eye. It was laying on the ground near a wet patch of grass, the handle sticking out most prominently.

They were here yesterday

Moo!
Moo!

You simply can’t go wrong
By listening to these words of our song!
The fourth litwick stuck out his tongue at the third, who had apparently stolen his line.

Jordan!
Jordan!
Jordan!

The young man you’ll quite want to see
Whether farming
Or sleeping
Or with his musharna, Ree! the fourth sang his line rather emphatically.

Jordan!
Jordan!
Jordan!

He's right in front of me! True to his word, the litwick stopped right behind a tall young man with blond hair, who was kneeling on the ground by the river as he was doing something with the water. Not quite gathering it, but the stream looked untampered with, so what could he be doing? The good news was that he hadn't noticed the litwicks, and continued to kneel and go about his task. There was a perfect window for Kalliope to get involved now, if she knew of a way to get him to talk. There was also the farmhouse in the not-too-great distance that she could investigate, if she wanted to try to have more evidence or see things for herself - but what would she do with Adeline in the meantime?

And in terms of Jordan, was his loyalty to his father, in which case to be treated as a suspect, or was there something else going on? Would Kalliope trust any of the clues from Adeline - or the litwicks? Either way, she would have to come up with some sort of approach for Jordan unless she wanted to abandon this thread entirely and search somewhere else.

A song from an actual musical has entered the mix! If you'd like to sing along, click here http://files.jcink.net/uploads/harperregion/sprites/emoticons/28.png

--------------------

user posted image

Past Characters

| PM || Email || ICQ |
^
Kaia
 Posted: Aug 21 2017, 07:19 PM
| Quote |

Top Handler
Background Mods
Member No. 2161

Characters:

{14+6 counts for two level ups - oops - bringing the count to 20! Post two of the Trick(I think?)}

Kalliope distrusted this woman more and more. But distrust didn't mean Adeline wasn't telling the truth--it only meant she was telling half truths. Jordan was her friend, but the Millers were the cause of the dying miltanks? How did this add up? Kali followed the tale as best she could but Adeline was wild with fear and talking very fast, not to mention Kali was certain the girl continued hiding something. "You knew the Miller miltanks were dying?" She repeated. Her eyes narrowed. "As did Jordan Miller? What's been happening to the miltanks?" She could almost taste the trail, so palpable was Adeline's story.

"You will take us, make no mistake. But you'll answer my questions as we walk." Kalliope stopped midstep. The hairs on the nape of her neck stood straight up and her spine dripped with icy tendrils of something sharp. The litwicks were back in force, like some mockery of a game children played. Follow the leader. Adeline began, six litwicks followed suit, and Oliver brought up the rear as if it were a perfectly normal and sane thing to do. Kalliope shook her head, disbelief written on her face. What was with this place? Singing ghosts, beguiled Guardians.

Should have let me kill them. Kazimir sniffed, chin jutted upward and face turned away. He followed behind Oliver, as if he too lead Kalliope where they were going. Kali had never liked this game unless she was the leader. At the end of the line of humans and pokemon, she was sure something would jump out from behind her while the others were distracted. Kali wrapped her fingers around her sword and squeezed the handle. Any questions Kali hoped to ask were dashed. The singing began with a flourish. Kali sighed.

It was going to be a long, long day.

Kalliope listened hard to every word the litwicks sang. They knew the score and for some reason felt the need to add their own opinions to the situation. Regardless of their strangeness, they were useful fonts of information. The Miller boy and Adeline. Kali's mind clicked. Of course. No wonder the girl looked so resigned to arrest when Kali threatened Jordan over the dead miltanks. They were going to be married. Adeline said the Miller father hated her, most likely he didn't approve of the marriage. Would he ruin the marriage itself or stop it from happening? Kali listened.

She flinched when miltanks materialized in the air, dancing. Ghosts. Kali didn't know they could do that. Kazimir, lurking in the back of her mind, clamped down hard on his sudden flash of anger and shame. He ignored her - or pretended to - though Kalliope could feel his attention lingering in her skull. Her head hurt from the pressure of his invasion but she didn't complain nor consider it a burden. In fact, she opened herself up to it, inviting Kazimir deeper. Not that he heard or paid attention, for all that she tried. The miltanks were away but arrived back again yesterday.

Why did they get taken away? Who took them?

In the corner of her eye, Kali spotted the glint of the pail handle. Her shoulders stiffened. At least the pail wasn't a lie. What else might ring true? More Jordan chorus. Musharna, Ree. A psychic, if Kalliope recalled. She dug out her pokecard and looked up the pokemon. Kalliope furrowed her brow. Kazimir, we're going to meet a psychic. I don't know how strong they are or what this kid Jordan is really doing. Kazimir pretended not to hear. Surprisingly patient, Kalliope took a deep breath and oozed peace from her very soul. Warmth, like the sun shining on her back.

You and I are partners. I need you. This Ree, I don't know what they're capable of but this could get dangerous. You two will be on even footing. Please, if you can will you listen for this psychic and try to keep tabs on what's going on? We need to know everything we can, especially if the girl and Jordan lie. Kalliope trailed after the ralts, focusing on his presence in her mind. He didn't respond directly but Kali didn't really expect him to. Suddenly the litwicks' song ended and they stood in front of a young, blond man. Kalliope's fingers tightened on her sword. How had he not heard them approach?

Was it because of the litwicks? Surely everyone else heard their music. Adeline had responded to what the pokemon sang earlier. Unless Kalliope was losing it--which she very well might. Kalliope prompted Kazimir again. If you choose to do so, search for the musharna by the name of Ree. Don't attack, only find them. If you can, ask them what's going on. Let them know we aren't here to hurt anyone, we're investigating the murders of the miltanks. Kazimir didn't like being ordered around much but he kind of liked the idea of hunting down another psychic and interrogating them. He nodded and skittered a few feet away, eyes closed. He sat down in the grass and spread his focus outward.

If he found something, he would repeat everything Kalliope asked of him and would also add And don't even think of lying! I can tell. Which wasn't strictly true but very intimidating a bluff. Kalliope on the other hand looked at Oliver. She pointed at Adeline and then her own mouth, nodding once. Make sure she doesn't interfere, that was Kali's message. She stretched her shoulders and strode toward the edge of the river. She investigated everything, from the water's edge to the farmhouse in the distance. She wondered if there were any miltanks within and if they were hurt.

Kali didn't slow her pace but she had an idea. If you sense anyone approaching, let me know please. We don't want to be caught off guard. In fact, are there any living things in that farm? Can you tell? Kalliope was going to take this chance with both hands. She kept her hand on her sword but didn't draw it, not wanting to go hostile just yet. "Jordan Miller, my name is Kalliope Tamsin. I'm a Guardian for Harper's Pass and I have questions for you." She pretended the whole "junior" part of her title didn't exist, though it would be obvious if someone knew to look.

"I'm not looking to harm or arrest you. I want the truth. If you answer honestly, you and Miss Adeline will be treated fairly whatever you answer. If you need protection or help, I will offer everything I can. But you must be truthful." Kalliope had walked nearly all the way to the river before speaking, keeping Oliver at her back. Jordan on the other hand would have maybe three feet between himself and Kalliope with a river at his back and only two directions to run. If he headed toward the Farm, Kalliope would pursue him all the way. If he ran in the opposite direction, Kalliope would follow there too. Of course she preferred he answer questions instead of bolting.

"What do you know about the disappearing miltanks? We found a dead miltank not far from here with Adeline at its side, but we saw no wounds." Kali kept her knees loose and her hips open, prepared for him to run or attack. She wasn't much for surprises. "From what I understand, the miltank we found was branded and belongs to your family. Add that to the rumors we've heard, something's going down on your farm. I'm here to find out what that is." She stared at the young man, very open and honest. Her face was tight with her interest. This was a real case, and she was going to solve it!

"We will protect you. Adeline has admitted you both know what's being done to the miltanks but I also want to know why. Explain what's going on. I will do everything in my power to stop it from happening." Kalliope wasn't sure why she said that. If Jordan and his father were the cause of the miltank death and disappearances, she would only anger the boy and corner him. But there was something about this whole situation. The litwicks, the girl, the dead miltank. She was clearly leading it back to the Miller farm. Why? If they were the cause of their deaths, and Adeline meant it when she wanted to protect them, she wouldn't return them to the place they were being tortured.

Kalliope wished she'd turned the body over and checked to see if there were any hidden wounds. If it wasn't a physical malady they might be sick. Or poisoned. But if there were physical wounds, she would better know how to attack this situation. She swore mentally. This was going to be tough. But oh, Kalliope was more than prepared for the challenge. Kali would listen to Jordan's story, then compare it to Adeline's story as well as the evidence. Something didn't add up but Kali wasn't sure it was the couple or the situation they were caught in.

--------------------
Namid and his Travels
PCR

user posted image
Kalliope and her travels

| PM || AIM |
^
Korosensei
 Posted: Sep 5 2017, 09:59 AM
| Quote |

Stupidface McNoctowl
Background Mods
Member No. 1923

Characters:

[[ +0.7 EXP for you! That's post 2 for the Trick, yes, but you've counted wrong - you only have a total of 3 posts, meaning that there is only 1 more post to endure enjoy the singing litwicks! ]]

Now that Adeline had started to open up to Kalliope, she was far more willing to help, giving her any information she had. "I do not know exactly what is happening to the miltanks," she said, "but there are more than there should be, and then some die."

An ominous sign, certainly, but there were many ways for pokemon to die, not that the miltank whose corpse Kalliope had discovered near Adeline showed a distinctive wound. Perhaps she would find more clues at the Miller farm, or with Jordan, who the litwicks sang about quite enthusiastically until he was finally visible on the horizon. Oliver kept a close eye on Kalliope, seemingly impressed with her tactics so far enough to give her free rein with unraveling the next part of the mystery. He was slightly confused at her lack of talking or explaining a plan, but when the ralts beside her began to search for other living things, he nodded in Kalliope's direction.

When Kazimir looked around, he would sense something confusing, almost as if the air itself was being manipulated. There was a living being nearby - or a few, he would sense for a mere second, but that feeling would quickly disappear and coalesce into sensing merely one pokemon, a pink bloblike species with flowers along its sides.

"Who are you?" the voice would ask Kazimir in his mind, not revealing itself or its location to Kalliope. "Why are you here?" The voice didn't sound aggressive - in fact, there was almost no discernible tone, which could either be a blessing or a curse. How would Kazimir react?

As he tried to figure out that problem, Jordan would turn around quickly when Kalliope announced herself, startled by the new arrival. "I am Jordan - and you're a Guardian?" He looked over at Adeline, who responded with a small, sheepish smile.

He didn't say anything more, at least for the moment, but then his eyes widened as a sudden glow began to envelop Kalliope's bag. The litwicks, who had stopped their singing once Kalliope found Jordan, began to hum softly again, then louder, beginning to circle the egg whether it was still in the bag or moved to another spot.

"From the day we are born to the Region," the first litwick began, leading the troupe into song once more.
"And, hatching, step into the sun," the second picked up where the first left off. The first began humming an odd phrase under his breath, starting it as a continuous refrain: "It's a snek, such a sneaky snek..."
"There's more to catch than can ever be caught," , the third sang as the second picked up the refrain.
"More to do than can ever be done!" the fourth sang quite enthusiastically.

"There's far too much to take in here," sang the fifth as the egg wobbled on its axis before tippling over.
"More to find here than can ever be found," the sixth litwick sang, emphasizing one word in particular. Was this a clue? The moment would be over extremely quickly, overshadowed by the refrain from multiple litwicks now as the egg continued to rock around.
"But the sun rolling high!" the first litwick belted.
"Over miltanks and flies!" sang the second, equally as loudly.
"Keeps great and small on the endless round!" the fourth litwick sang out of turn as the first cracks began to spread across the egg, revealing the beginning of something purple inside - a "sneaky snek," if the litwicks were to be believed, but what did that mean?

As soon as the first fang poked through the egg, the first litwick bellowed, "It's the circle of life!" as the other litwicks swayed in their circle.
"And it moves us all!"
"Through despair and hope!"
"Through faith and love!" the sixth litwick broke the pattern and raised the pitch dramatically.
"Till we find our place," the first led again as the others made the refrain louder.
"On the path unwinding!"
"In the circle!"
"The circle of life!" the first litwick concluded.

There was a sudden halt in movement, a sudden silence from the litwicks, and a great eruption of eggshell as a seviper found its way out of the egg, curling and uncurling as it beheld its surroundings. Evidently, the litwicks felt like its voice needed to be heard, as they stayed silent for now, but with their eyes fixed on the new arrival.

"Congratulations," Oliver said, then turned to Jordan to see what his reaction would be.

"That's a rare pokemon around these parts, where'd you find the egg? And it looks quite healthy, too, do you mind if I take a look at it? I've never seen a poison-type so close up," Jordan asked, leaning in to examine the newly hatched pokemon.

"Guardswoman Tamsin asked you a question first," Oliver said, sticking with Kalliope's story of being a fully fledged Guardian.

"Ah, right," he said, but the interruption between the time he had been asked to provide an answer and now might have been enough for him to come up with a lie to tell, if he was inclined in that way. "I don't know of any disappearing miltanks, but Eloise Brown - the oldest Brown daughter - came this way last week to ask if we'd help them with a problem with their miltanks. They were dying of some mysterious cause, and I have a psychic-type who might be able to help solve that problem. So, we took some of them here."

"They've been trying to get back home, but if they bring whatever sickness they carry home, the Browns will be out of nearly their entire herd. It seems to spread quickly." He shook his head slightly. "I can only trust in my pokemon to keep them quarantined while we do whatever we can to find a cure."

"I can assure you that Adeline didn't kill the one you found," Jordan said quite emphatically, taking a stronger tone now that he spoke about her. "She'd never harm a pokemon, and she'd never lie. If she said something, you need to believe it."

"Jordan - " Adeline interjected.

"You're welcome, my love - now, are you going to insist on seeing some of the miltanks with the Brown brand, or are you going to let them rest as they recover from their painful illness?" He spoke softly, and in a calm tone, but his words were anything but calm. How would Kalliope react to his story and his reactions?

-------------

Kalliope gains 1 EXP for hatching her new snek friend, leaving her at 2.34/10 exp towards the next level! Feel free to poke me once you've chosen the gender (and a nickname, if you'd like) and I'll edit the profile accordingly.

http://files.jcink.net/uploads/harperregion/sprites/336seviper.png http://files.jcink.net/uploads/harperregion/sprites/e335252.gif / http://files.jcink.net/uploads/harperregion/sprites/e335251.gif
Seviper

Lv. 01 Exp: 0/4
Friendliness: {||||||||||}
Original Handler: Kalliope Tamsin ( Kaia )
Held Item: ---
Health & Condition: Fine
Abilities:
Shed Skin: Every turn, it has a 1 in 3 chance of healing from a status condition (BURN, PARALYZE, SLEEP, POISON, FREEZE).
Infiltrator: The protections and stat boosts caused by the moves Substitute, Reflect, Light Screen and Safeguard by the opponent are ignored.
Moves: [ primary / secondary ]
Wrap, Swagger, Bite, Punishment [Egg], Wring Out [Egg], Toxic, Venoshock, Sludge Wave, Sludge Bomb, Poison Jab
Notes:
Hatched from an Egg

And here is the song from this post http://files.jcink.net/uploads/harperregion/sprites/emoticons/1.png

--------------------

user posted image

Past Characters

| PM || Email || ICQ |
^
Kaia
 Posted: Jan 18 2018, 09:00 PM
| Quote |

Top Handler
Background Mods
Member No. 2161

Characters:

[Guess who suddenly has a fresh egg? Kali is wearing a magma armor ring, so the total egg count is two. Also the seviper is female, though no name thus far]

Kazimir didn't like this whole human nonsense. What did he care if some stupid miltanks were dead? They were dumb creatures who rolled around and made milk. Not useful pokemon at all. Kazimir disliked other pokemon as much as he disliked humans, leaving him standoffish and irate. The human's request to search for other life annoyed him. He was more annoyed she'd requested it instead of demanding it. Weren't humans demanding with their captured pokemon? Kazimir didn't know for certain. Kalliope was the human he'd thus far spent this much time around. If she'd ordered him to look he could refuse on principle. How dare she expect him to work for her and all that. But she asked. Politely.

It angered Kazimir that he couldn't find a valid reason to be angry. Instead of properly searching the area, he blasted his awareness outward in a looming burst that rolled over the grounds, just long enough to see if something was alive. There. A few living--wait, no. A few turned into one. Just one. The psychic the human mentioned. Kazimir wasn't interested in talking to it but it must have sensed his search because it spoke at him. Kazimir bristled. Who are you? I am Kazimir! Who are you? Why are you over there hiding behind a false herd? Kazimir demanded. I'm here investigating a murder. Did you commit the murder? Did you kill the stupid cow? Kazimir accused. Politeness wasn't in his repertoire. He oozed irritation and arrogance, strange considering he was young and untried as a whole. But that didn't stop him from getting fierce with the psychic, not at all. No fear in this one.

Kalliope on the other hand, was reassured when the young man named Jordan didn't bolt at the sight of her. He simply looked toward Adeline and accepted what she was. Good. Maybe she could ask him some proper questions. "I am. I work under Lord Archer--" Kalliope's words died in her throat. Her bag emanated a gentle glow, which bloomed and grew stronger. The litwicks began their acapella. Again. Kalliope swallowed a scream of frustration, yanked off her bag and set it on the ground beside her. The egg nestled inside - hatching way too early and unexpectedly in Kalliope's opinion, considering she'd received it that day - rolled from the depths of the open bag and continued to glow, sitting straight up and sliding slowly back and forth. Kalliope listened intently to the song even as her eyes honed in on the rocking, tilting egg. So far the litwicks gave her details about the case. Somehow they knew just enough to tease her with it--and whether or not an egg decided to hatch to prompt their song, Kali was sure one of them would slip in some details.

She was right. More to find here than can ever be found. Here. The significance of this location was the key. Whatever caused the miltanks to disappear - and die on at least one count - stemmed from this place. What was it Adeline said? More miltanks than there should be? More to find than can ever be found? Was there relevance? Kalliope turned her attention back on the song. What the hell was a sneaky snek? A snake? The scales showing between the cracks was purple but that only narrowed it down to two snakes. Probably not an onix or a dratini. The voices built into a crescendo as the cracks spread. They thrust their urgency and emotion into Kali with each rising decibel. Kali's heart thrummed in her chest. Her fingers clenched. All at once the litwicks grew silent, their whole beings focused on the cracking shell. What burst from the egg was huge--easily eight feet long with a sinuous body as thick as Kali's own waist. It scrunched itself together into a tight, zigzag formation and stared up at Kalliope. Its tongue slithered between its fangs. A tail blade as sharp as her own knife and no doubt even stronger flashed in the sun.

Kalliope stared at the beauty. Her scales glistened. Her golden jaw, her vivid markings. She was a work of art fresh hatched. She blinked. Barely did her mind register Oliver's words of congratulations. A snake. A giant, sneaky snake if the litwicks were to be believed. Jordan's voice followed not long after. Rare. This beauty was rare. Kalliope stood rooted to the spot. Despite the lumbering pack pokemon who drove many of her family's caravans - and the occasional help from fighting types owned by their employees - Kalliope's experience with pokemon was a big, fat zero. Now she had a psychic who half hated her, and a giant snake fresh hatched and flicking its tongue in her direction. She was floored. What did one even do with a giant snake? How did one train something big enough to eat her? Not that she was afraid of it. Merely shocked down to her very bones. Who the hell knew she'd end up with a giant snake? Kalliope hadn't even had enough time to get comfortable with the egg before it burst from the shell. Was this another test sent by the Harper? Sure felt like it. Him and the damn singing chorus of litwicks.

"It was given to me. This morning." Kalliope spoke for the first time since the litwicks descended on her hatching egg. "I had no idea--no clue what was in it. I didn't even know sevipers could get that big from the shell." She was rambling. She drew in her awe and took a breath. "Once you've answered our questions and provided as much assistance as we require for this case, you may look her over." It looked like a her. Kali didn't know what made her think it. Maybe because it was huge. Or maybe she just guessed. Kalliope focused instead on Jordan. She tried not to think about how much time the litwicks gave him to cover up any missing details with falsehoods.

Eloise Brown. Kalliope glanced at Oliver but said nothing. Let him tell the story. Ms. Brown asked the Millers for help for their miltanks? "Are your families always this open about personal business problems? They are your competition, surely it would be better for the Miller farm if the Brown farm had difficulties." Kalliope insinuated nothing, spoke with a clear, neutral voice with a touch of curiosity. Let Jordan suck on that. If he came off offended, she might believe he was genuine. If he was too insulted, he might be covering. There were so many different ways his reaction would reveal something, Kali couldn't even name them all. "And what would a psychic do that a pokemon healer couldn't? Does your musharna have some sort of magical healing talent?" Kalliope asked. She dumped the psychic species on him, wondering if he'd react at all by her knowledge or if Adeline would reveal the litwicks' leaked information.

Kalliope noticed how Jordan's defensive side came out only in regards to Adeline. They must be deeply in love. Kalliope let them go over their whole spiel. She wasn't one hundred percent sure he was telling the truth - and though Adeline had showed no sign of falsehoods, Kali wasn't completely certain of her either. Instead she let the pair ramble on until Jordan all but challenged her over the health of the miltanks and her disturbing them. She breathed carefully through her nose and met Jordan's eyes. One long second stretched into the next, to the count of five. Then Kalliope gestured toward the Miller farm. "Let me get this straight. The Brown's miltanks have a mysterious disease that might spread to the rest of their herd, but you've brought them into your own personal quarters with your own pokemon keeping them in place. The diseased miltanks are wandering away, trying to get back home, and Adeline was merely trying to lead a sick one back home." Kalliope recapped, forming each word with precision. Kalliope kept her bland expression, eyes never leaving Jordan's.

"Tell me. Why would you risk your own pokemon to save your neighbor's farm? Surely this isn't a miltank-only disease. And even if it were, why would you house them so close to your own healthy cows?" Kalliope asked. For a split second, Kalliope turned her gaze to Adeline. "And why did you say there were more miltanks than there should be if you know the reason why? If your fiance over there was asked to help them get better, why hide it? Telling me the truth up front would have been wiser, Miss...what was your last name again?" Kalliope let the air grow pregnant with silence, giving Adeline plenty of time to respond. Whether or not she did, Kali turned back to Jordan. "You said recover. Recover from a mysterious illness you know nothing about, that your apparent psychic is curing. Magically. Without knowing what it is." Kalliope took two steps forward, trying not to flinch when the seviper reared and twisted, keeping Kali in her sight.

"Do you have miltanks recovering from the illness, or are they all dying? How many have fallen ill that you know of? How many, including the one laying in the middle of the road, are dead?" Kalliope demanded. She took another step, less than two feet from Jordan now. "Tell me that, then tell me what the symptoms are for this disease and if any other pokemon besides miltanks have been affected. Explain how your psychic helps. I have a psychic too. Perhaps if your Ree shows us how the healing is done, my Kazimir can assist in the recovery. Two psychics are better than one, are they not?" Kalliope smiled. It wasn't a venomous smile, but it wasn't particularly friendly. She smelled a lead. She smelled a misdirect. She also knew for a fact whatever was happening to the miltanks, she would find valid clues here. Thanks, litwicks.

"After that, you can take us to see the miltanks. We'll try to keep them comfortable and undisturbed during examination, so long as no one tries to interfere or cause problems." Her eyes didn't flash toward Adeline, but the comment was directed at the girl. Not bothering to lower her voice, though intoning it as if she were trying, Kali said, "Unfortunate, isn't it? When you back up your beloved by swearing she'd never tell a lie, only to be caught out in a lie two seconds later? Surely it was an unfortunate accident. Surely you're right and Adeline never lies--well, except for ten minutes ago. But besides that, right?" Kalliope was pushing as many buttons as she could find, barreling her questions into the pair, trying to see if any masks broke. If they answered with truth and could back up their stories, Kali would back off and treat them more gently, help them rather than corner them. But first she wanted to rattle their cages.

--------------------
Namid and his Travels
PCR

user posted image
Kalliope and her travels

| PM || AIM |
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Harper's Pass | Next Newest »

| Options | | Add Reply || New Topic || New Poll |

RNG & Word Counter

Scrolling Affiliates & Listings
War Is Brewing
PokéFiends Living the Dream: a Pokemon RPG Mutant Revolution Online a resource community BTM affiliates Pokemon: Forever Forgotten Kaleidoscope deep in the meadow {warriors}

CODE
Skin designed by Daniel of Outline. Gen 6 Pokemon sprites from Smogon. Gen 7 Pokemon sprites from smogon.