Harper Region is temporarily a private site! Registration is temporarily disabled due to big site updates and due to both admins' life schedules -- moving and degree completion and internships. :) If you need to set up a new account or really, really, really want to register, email Rosalie at orosaliearto@gmail.com with "Harper" in the subject line !

Welcome to Harper Region

Important Links

Staff

Character Count: 101
Ml: 48 - Fml: 51 - Oth: 2
OR - 14 | R - 17 | H - 47 | G - 23

Quick Updates

Weather Conditions

Season: Autumn

With the cooling season of Autumn, Ice-types are starting to re-emerge from their hibernation as Ghost-, Normal-, and Flying-types swarm in the largest numbers they will all year. In comparison, wild Fire- and Bug-type populations are falling in number. The migration of Flying-types to the south in search of warmer weather has also started, as Istin City starts to re-freeze and Autumn marks the beginning of Cypwater Point's rainy season. Handlers and Rogues alike should be wary: Ghost-type powers are boosted during this season, at the cost of being more prone to their triggers.

Sister Sites

Pokemon: Terrene

Click here to vote for us once a day!
Our Topsite:
Harper Region Topsite

• Show Box
  • Hide Box

| Add Reply || New Topic || New Poll |

Lucas O' Leery Developments
RyoKnetegawa
 Posted: Jul 12 2017, 10:43 AM
| Quote |

Novice Handler
Members
Total Posts: 51
Member No. 2336
Joined on 23-March 17.

Characters:
Lucas O'Leery

Awards: None

WhereEdgewood/logger Sea
When: Year after Lucas was taken in by Tom
Goals: Gain aptitudes: Gathering, Herb Lore, Observancy/perception

Lucas sat down on the raft that was beached on the banks of the Logger Sea that connected it to Edgewood. In front of him was his master, and off to the side was the cage that held their latest catch. It was a Pansear, that his master Tom was going to sell in the village up north. However, they were resting because Tom had decided it was time for Lucas to earn something. He held up a root and waved it slightly in front of Lucas’ face “This is an edible root. You can find it under most of the plants that are here. Mostly around banana trees, there are some in parts of this forest. Depending on where you are in this wood. You must dig about half a foot down before you can find it. The root is a thick milky white color. You can see it.” He tossed the root to Lucas and he smiled catching it and looking it over slowly. It was indeed milky white, but it also had tiny white threads that came from the main section of the root. These were smaller roots that were growing to seek even more nutrients. This was among one of dozens of plants that Lucas had been taught were edible by his master since they had met and joined each other’s company.

The youth looked up at his master tilting his head “Um…how does it taste?”

The man frowned at him and shook his head “It tastes like life. You don’t have the time to be picky. In this wild if you aren’t hunting pokemon well enough to keep yourself fed you have to eat what you get. Boil most plants, and you will be fine. Don’t drink the water unless you are eating Dandelions. Of course, you can drink the water, but I don’t waste any time with that. What you do every time you need water is take it out of the sea, or a river and you boil it. You always drink water only after you boil it. Of course, wait until it isn’t piping hot to drink it. Warm water is better for you anyway.” He said as he moved to the pot that was boiling away, but this wasn’t filled with foliage only. It was filled with the meat of a Deerling they had killed a few days ago. It was the best they could do.

While he did this Lucas moved over to the cage and gave the Pansear a berry that they had found along the way. He did this on occasion and it did not end well for him at all. Yet, this didn’t matter to Lucas because he was not one to worry about what might happen. The man called out “Luke! Get over here, it’s time to eat!” he said filling two bowls with the stew that he had made. Of course, neither of them could cook well at all, but despite that it didn’t taste very good it was filling and kept them alive. As they ate their lunch the man spoke again “After Lunch, then we shall set about the next part of your training. I have taught you many kinds of plants and life that are safe to eat. Now, after lunch you are going to go out and find as many kinds of edible plants as you possibly can. I will head down the shore along the current path we are taking. You will meet me there by dinner, and I will count all the plants you found that are edible. Should you get more inedible plants than edible then you fail and I’ll have to be far stricter with your training. Do us both a favor and don’t mess this up.” He said as he called out his current helper. This was a large Machoke and he gestured to the cage indicating that he needed to load it up.

The biggest benefit to having this large fighting type pokemon around was that the old man barely asked for help. Of course, this pokemon wouldn’t be sticking around. In fact, Tom knew his master would get rid of it at the first opportunity that he found. This was the trick of his trade and he always sold off any pokemon that had been around too long. Lucas was starting to think that it was because his master didn’t want to get attached to any pokemon. As soon as it loaded up as much of the supplies and gear as it could fit on the pole raft. Tom looked to the kid he was bringing around nodding “Now, I have given you a task. See it done.” He said as he recalled his muscle and pushed the raft out into the water using a long pole to push it along the shoreline of the sea.

Luke stood up smiling as he walked just into the forest, he kept the shore of the logger sea on his right-hand side as often as possible. Moving along he bent down and pulled up various species of plant life he had found that he thought were edible based on his lessons. As he moved, he also kept an eye out for other signs. In fact, it was spotting the signs of a pokemon that caused him to stop moving. They led to a plant that he was moving towards. He moved closer to the plant and inspected it carefully, he figured if something was safe to eat then he could find evidence of Pokemon eating the plant. However, as he examined it he only saw that the pokemon had drawn near, but he couldn’t see any sign of it being eaten by anything at all. That was all he needed and he left, soon this was how he was tracking the more elusive and bountiful selections of food that were available to him.

Using his sharp young eyes, he spotted many trails of pokemon who led him to perfect plants and saw the signs that these plants had indeed been nibbled at, and revisited. These he took with him, as well as finding the plants that his master had identified for him. Filling a small canvas bag that his master had given him he managed to collect and fill the satchel. This whole process took him several hours, and by the time the sun was setting his bag was full and he was ready to head back to his master. With his bounty, he made his way back to the edge of the wood where it met the sea. Looking he saw the light of a fire a little way up the shore and started to move towards it.

By the time he arrived he knew that his master had started dinner already. As he entered the campsite he put the canvas bag in front of the old man and sat down on a thick branch that was little better than driftwood and watched as the professional went through all the items in the bag creating two piles, the first being edible, and the second being what the old man thought as inedible. By the end however, the edible pile was much bigger than the not. The old man nodded his head slowly as he picked through the larger pile again giving each piece a very close inspection “Very good, it seems you do retain some kind of information, and some of these plants I haven’t taught you. How did you know they were edible?”

Luke smiled warmly and pointed “I found signs that Pokemon had eaten them. If Pokemon can eat them without a problem, then we should be able to as well. Pokemon native to this forest won’t eat poisonous foods, so it just seemed like the right thing to do. Is it?”

The man nodded his head and smirked “Well, you’re quite the clever little rat. Very well, from now on you’ll be doing the scavenging and gathering for our vegetation. I won’t do anything more than teach you edible foods, and you’ll be in charge of getting enough of them.”

True to his word from that day on Luke was the one who was sent out into the forest to collect as many edible bits of plant life that his master thought they would need. The more practice he got the faster he completed this task, and the more he would bring back. This went on until his master started to entrust him with even more.

--------------------

Lucas O' Leery | Rogue
Profile | Travels |
Dev | Thread Tracker|PCR

Team

| PM |
^
Ray
 Posted: Jul 21 2017, 04:34 PM
| Quote |

Top Handler
Background Mods
Total Posts: 405
Member No. 1655
Joined on 16-June 14.

Characters:
Dionisia Bosc, James Achilles

Awards: 6

There's a lot I want to say about this post, and please don't take any of it badly; it's a good start to try and get Lucas on the journey towards gaining these aptitudes. However, this post is very short, and would be short for one aptitude, let alone three.

Therefore, here's my thoughts: I can evaluate all three aptitudes based on this post, but since there's not a lot of time spend on them, their rating might be poor. Alternatively, you can write another post focusing on just one aptitude, which will help your chances of getting a better rate in it. I will rate the aptitude I thought was focused on the most in this post, which is Gathering.

For Gathering, Lucas will receive
    http://files.jcink.net/uploads/harperregion/sprites/05pips_zps91nuwqji.png

He also gains 4 exp for getting a new aptitude. He levels up - all his pokemon gain 2 levels and his eggs gain 3 counts.

If you would like me to grade the other two aptitudes based on this post, please PM me; if you decide against it because their rates may suffer, feel free to make further posts on those two aptitudes. For reference, here is a successful aptitude grading post, where Korosensei had his retired character Marie's swimming aptitude rated.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

--------------------
| PM |
^
RyoKnetegawa
 Posted: Jul 21 2017, 09:02 PM
| Quote |

Novice Handler
Members
Member No. 2336
Joined on 23-March 17.

Characters:
Lucas O'Leery

Where: Edgewood / logger Sea
When: A few months after the first Dev thread
Goals: Gaining Apptitude, Swimming

A few months passed since those first lessons. Now Luke and his master were sailing towards Dedrius. They had quite the haul of Pokemon to take back with them this time. At least six fire-type pokemon that were going to Dedrius so they could be sold properly. Luke was still very nervous and skittish around the Logger sea. He still had horrible nightmares about the night he was thrown into the river, and he was scared of the water. Today he was on the raft that they built and he was making sure that the ropes that secured the Pokemon Raft were tied tightly to the main raft. He looked at the Pokemon on the cargo raft as his master called it. There was a Growlithe, a Vulpix, a Flareon, a pair of Cyndaquil, and a Tepig. These pokemon were given special muzzles so they could not use their fire attacks to break free of the cages, or get into any trouble by burning the raft.

As he sat there his Master’s Seaking, and Magikarp pulling the rafts along in the boat he heard his master walk up behind him next to him was his Bulbasaur “You still afraid of the water squirt?” He asked in a gruff and almost angry tone of voice.

Luke looked back and was about to speak when his master kicked him into the water. He hit the water and tried his absolute best to stay above water. Kicking his legs, and using his arms as best he could to keep his head above water. He was managing it, but as he tried to get closer to the raft he found that it had not stopped moving, but only slowed down. Standing on the back near where Luke had been kicked into the water was Tom and he shook his head slowly his arms crossed “Hurry up! One arm over the other, swim for it! Left arm, right arm, left arm, right arm! Kick, Kick, Kick! Shape your hands like scoops and us them to scoop the water behind you! Hurry up!”

Luke tried to do just as he was told managing to keep his head above water as he did so, but he had swallowed too much water when he had started at first so he kept coughing and spluttering as he swam. Before too long he was just too weak and couldn’t do it. He stopped paddling, stopped swimming and started to sink. This made the Pokemon Poacher sigh heavily and he shook his head “Grab that idiot kid.” He ordered his Bulbasaur who shot its vines out to wrap around Luke and drag him back to the raft pulling him onto the deck. Once there, he began to cough and spit up water in abundance shaking and trembling.

Tom looked down at the boy shaking his head in disappointment “Stupid kid, you aren’t supposed to swallow the water, you are supposed to swim through it. Stop wasting both of our time. You aren’t drowning anymore, you aren’t that helpless boy on that night you were tossed into the river. Water is nothing to fear, you should understand that by now. Try again or I shall be forced to let you down this time.”

This statement terrified Luke more than the idea of going back into the water. The thought that his master would actually let him drown was enough to give him strength. Nodding his head slowly he looked back at the water and took off his jerkin, and his shirt. Deciding to take off all but his breeches he sank into the water holding onto the back of the raft and kicking with all his might. This was unacceptable to his master and he stomped on the boys’ fingers snarling “Sink or swim time boy!” he bellowed out. Luke gasped letting go of the raft in pain, the time it took to recover himself allowed the boat to slip further and further away from him. Swallowing the pain in his hand he started to swim and paddle just like the old man had told him. He wasn’t sure if it was working, or if it was going to all be for naught. At least, that was how it seemed at first. However, slowly he began to make headway towards the raft actually picking up the pace of his swimming and managing to close some of the distance between him and the raft.

This wasn’t enough however, as he soon became tired and called out as best he could “Tired!” was all he managed to get out. To his surprise the raft slowed down and eventually came to a stop so he could catch up to it. Yet, even though he did reach the boat he did not have the strength to pull himself up. Thankfully his master decided to show some mercy on the little kid and have his Bulbasaur lift the kid onto the raft. In so doing Luke was given a reprieve for the day. He was so tired, his legs and arms hurt as he wasn’t used to using them the way he had been doing. With that he passed out into a bout of fitful sleep.

The next day Luke woke up with a start looking around. Tom was sitting cross legged sleeping or at least giving the appearance of sleep. Luke sat up groaning as his legs and arms were sore as could be. Hoping that he wouldn’t wake up his master he looked to the cargo raft a bit sad at how miserable some of those pokemon looked, but he wasn’t able to help them at all considering he was as much a prisoner as they were. If he wanted to make a difference then he would have to wait and do so when he could survive on his own. He was just starting to think of what he would do when he was older when he was hurled into the water again.

He screamed in surprise until he hit the water which was freezing cold. This time he hit the surface despite his protesting muscles and swam as fast as he could towards the raft. He created a lot of splashing that wasn’t necessary for what he was doing, but he kept his head above water swimming the best he could. His muscles were sore however, and keeping his head above water was much harder today than it was yesterday. Not to mention the water this early in the morning was freezing cold and he could feel himself shaking with the potential for hypothermia.

Swimming wasn’t as hard as it had been, and he kept the technique that his master had taught him the other day. While he did make some progress, he could not catch up to the raft as Tom was awake and he was using the giant push pole he had to propel the boat forward. Slowly he could feel his body locking up, he could feel his muscles giving up the fight, and his body was freezing cold. He had to get out of the water soon, or else. That’s when he saw the cargo raft that was starting to drift past him. With all his strength, he swam for that raft pulling himself up next to the cage that held the Flareon. The Fire pokemon gave him a low wary growl, but Luke only smiled weakly at him “I’m sorry, I know you don’t much care for me, but I have to be here, you are so warm.” He said huddling close to the cage moving a bit closer to the next cage that had the Cyndaquil inside both of them also giving off a lot of heat. Luke thought this was an attempt to heat up the raft and the cages so they would burn away, but what the pokemon didn’t know was that the cages were coated in a unique solvent that would not melt, and kept the cages from heating up easily. Being so near the fire pokemon however was good for Luke as they were starting to warm him up and also ease the aching sensation in his muscles.

Eventually Tom looked back to see that Luke was next to the fire pokemon on the cargo raft shivering but warmer than he would’ve been otherwise being that so many of those pokemon gave off such heat, if nothing else the kid had a quick wit about him and that was useful. Seeing this he nodded his head once “Good, maybe I shall keep you around a bit longer.” He said nonchalantly, but loud enough to be heard.

Luke Glared daggers at his master’s back, but said nothing instead he decided to try and keep himself warm by rubbing his arms quickly to generate heat. Of course, this was easier to do with his proximity to the fire-types, but it was an effort. He only hoped that they would arrive at their location soon enough so he could get to a fire, and when they stopped there would be a fire for sure so then he could warm up.

--------------------

Lucas O' Leery | Rogue
Profile | Travels |
Dev | Thread Tracker|PCR

Team

| PM |
^
W
 Posted: Aug 8 2017, 07:45 AM
| Quote |

Senior Handler
Background Mods
Total Posts: 177
Member No. 2309
Joined on 28-December 16.

Characters:
Aneirin "Nirin/Nye" Vaughan, ArkBoaz "Ark" Reuter

Awards: 2

Writing Quality and Length: [ 3 / 4 ]

While the length was pretty good, and definitely a lot more fluid than your travels posts, you have a lot of grammatical errors and repetitive phrases, which could've been done without. Even at one point, you basically said the same thing back to back, just slightly different. I encourage re-reading and editing your posts for fluency.

Efficiency and Plausibility: [ 4 / 6 ]

While this is an entirely plausible scene, and many people in the past have learned from this, I'm a bit confused on how this actually helped Luke learn how to swim. He stripped all of his clothing at one point; did he try to keep them with him? Did he get new clothes after? While these questions aren't necessarily informative towards the writing, they are points that don't seem to make it plausible. I would've enjoyed more development on the way Luke felt during the practice. Was he finding it easier to go with the water? What if they had stopped and he worked on it in stagnant water? or against the water?

All things that could be taken into consideration for the future!

WOW Factor: [ 0 / 3 ]

Sorry. I didn't find anything WOW-worthy in this dev post.

Overall, I'm awarding Luke a 4 in swimming. Because of the aptitude gain, he gains an additional 4 exp, bringing him to lvl 3, 3.1/5. His Pokemon all gain +2 exp, and no new moves are learned. Please remember to add +3 egg counts to your next travels post!

--------------------
Aneirin "Nirin/Nye" Vaughan
profile | travels | dev | training

ArkBoaz "Ark" Reuter
profile | travels | dev | training

pcr | goals | team | tracker
| PM |
^
RyoKnetegawa
 Posted: Sep 9 2017, 09:18 AM
| Quote |

Novice Handler
Members
Member No. 2336
Joined on 23-March 17.

Characters:
Lucas O'Leery

Where: Dedrius
When: During Lucas’ 15th year
Goals: Obtain Aptitude, Occupation: Pokemon Poacher

Lucas grunted as he pulled the raft onto the bank of the river that he and his master had been traveling to get them as close to Dedrius as possible. Thankfully, Lucas wasn’t alone this time bringing the raft ashore. His master had acquired a Machamp from Dedrius, and was currently keeping a Throh on his team. As the trio brought ashore the main raft his master was pulling ashore the cargo raft as he called it. Only once they had the rafts set into place so they would not be dragged away by the river did they start to unload the cargo.

The cargo in question was the only thing that Lucas and his master considered worth trading in; pokemon. Lucas moved towards his master who was busy inspecting their cargo. He smiled as he looked back at his protégé “Ah, about time. Well Luke, I hope you are ready. Today you are going to make yourself known as a Pokemon Poacher. We are going into Dedrius to meet my usual contact. He will meet us at his home which is on the very outskirts of Dedrius, but it is safe enough from the guardians that we will not be observed. Everyone in town knows him as a man who produces many fine fire-type Pokemon or as someone who can get them.”

Lucas sighed as he nodded his head “Yes sir, I understand. So, what kind of standing deal do we have with him? Also, we only have five Pokemon on offer. That is less than the last time we were here.”

His master nodded looking to the Pokemon on the raft in question. There were five Pokemon in five different cages and they were all different. Moving to the cage of the Pansear his master looked to Lucas “Yes, we would’ve had more if you didn’t decide that you had to catch this little thing on your own. Instead of helping me catch more Pokemon. You took nearly a week to catch this damned thing.” He growled kicking the cage “You will carry this one yourself, and you will make your own deal for him. If you mess this up, then do not expect to eat for the next two days!”

The youth moved over to pick up the cage lifting it up to his shoulder “Yes master.” He said calmly enough as he looked to the Chimchar that he and his master had to hunt for nearly a fortnight because it was the required Pokemon for the deal that his master had made to borrow the Machamp that was in his possession. Still, he said nothing about that and instead cleared his throat “So, what is the plan?”

Thomas gestured to the Throh and Machamp signaling for them to carry the remaining Pokemon. While they were doing this, he began to explain “The Chimchar is going to be the payment for us borrowing this Machamp as you should know. The Vulpix we can sell for rope, and some of the few supplies that we need. For the more expensive supplies, I will possibly trade the Growlithe or the Flareon. The one I don’t trade for supplies I will trade for gold simple as that. I won’t tell you what to trade your prize for, but if I feel you made a bad deal there will be consequences.” With the plan laid out and the warning given yet again he started towards the village.

Lucas looked to the Pansear in his arms and sighed shaking his head “I’m sorry about him, but you will go to a good home. The people here love fire-type Pokemon and will look after you.” He said in a soothing tone to the sacred monkey Pokemon. With that, he followed his master as quickly as he could.

It took them the better part of an hour to arrive at a lone home; made of wood, mud, and various other natural items. From the look of it, the house was designed to hold in as much warmth as possible, while also not allowing the snow to pile up on the roof. Standing outside next to a Bayleef was a big bear of a man. His dark beard was near all the way to his waist, his long hair was pulled back in a ponytail and dark brown in color. He had a big smile on his face as he waved one hand “Ho there Thomas! Good to see you are taking care of my Machamp!” he then noticed Lucas and tilted his head “Who’s the squirt, Tom?”

The poacher sighed as he shook his head “His name is Lucas. I found him in a river. I’ve been showing him the ropes, and now I feel he’s ready to make it as a Pokemon Poacher. He’ll be making a deal with you for that Pansear he caught on his own.” He said moving past the man towards the house.

Than man turned and extended his hand towards Lucas “Put it there Lucas. It’s good to meet you. The name is Bernard, but people call me Bern. So, go ahead and call me Bern as well.” As the two locked hands Lucas almost dropped the cage due to the pain in his hand. The grip was iron and strong due to the long years of chopping down trees, hauling away logs, and various other activities that made men stronger than could be believed.

Thankfully, Lucas was only subjected to this pain for a moment and then his hand was released and he could use it to carry the cage “A pleasure. Call me Luke.” He said grunting as he adjusted his grip on the cage moving towards the house where his master was waiting with the two Fighting-type Pokemon to be let in.

Bern nodded moving and opening the door for his two guests. They carried in their cargo and set it all down in the center of the room. Yet, Machamp didn’t set down the Chimchar and instead carried it off into another room.

Thomas handed Bern the ball and nodded his head “We are squared. Now, let’s talk business about the rest of these items.” He pats the Vulpix’s cage first “This Vulpix is very healthy compared to the others, but she isn’t very strong. Still, I think I’ll part with her for the supplies on this list.” He said pulling up a folded-up piece of parchment that he handed over to Bernard.

The big lumberjack took the parchment and opened it up raising his brow “This is fairly reasonable. I can get you all of this easily. In fact, I have most of it myself. That’s a done deal my friend. What’s next?” he asked gesturing to the Growlithe “What can I expect for this fine specimen?”

“Well, I need a new set of daggers, and some Pokeballs for myself. I’ve used up my personal supply. That is a fair trade I think.” He said crossing his arms slowly before he moved over to the Flareon “I am thinking about five hundred gold for this fine little Flareon here. After all, I went out of my way to catch this uncommon pokemon and you don’t have to evolve an eevee for it.” He said with a knowing smirk on his face.

Bern sighed as he moved into the next room returning with a bag of gold in one hand, and a set of twin daggers the other handing them over to Thomas he said “Well, fine. I guess that is a deal I couldn’t ask for better. The legal way to catch pokemon is so ineffective, and far more expensive. Thankfully, you can’t afford to gouge me because you need me just like I need you. The Pokeballs are in a smaller bag on top of the gold.”

Tom took the bag raising his brow and shaking his head slowly “Why did you have to bring the legal pokemon hunters into this? Luckily for you I am a man of my word and our deal has already been struck.” He tucked the bag away and moved off heading towards the door “I have some minor shopping to do in town. While I am gone you and Lucas can make a deal for the Pansear he brought. Try not to completely swindle him.” He said before leaving the house.

As he left Bernard called out “The supplies you can find in the shed. Take what we agreed on, and only that!” he said to the now closed door knowing the poacher would have heard the first bit of what he had said.

With a groan Lucas sat down on a wooden chair setting the cage in front of him rolling his eyes in his exasperation at how little he was trusted by his master. After he collected himself he looked up at the woodsman “Well, I shall let you look at this little pokemon. Then we can haggle over price.”

This caught Bernard by surprise and he looked at Lucas with new respect. Still, this youth seemed to know what he wanted to do, and how he wanted to do it; so, there was only one thing to do. Kneeling in front of the cage he looked inside at the Pansear. The monkey pokemon didn’t flinch away, but did not look away from him. Instead it gave him a stern glare thankfully for him the monkey’s mouth was tied shut and it couldn’t spray any flames at him. He looked up at Lucas with a smirk “A soft hearted poacher huh? This Pansear looks like it still has some fight in it. Not like the cowed things that your master brought in.”

Shrugging Luke kicked the cage causing the Pansear to jump in shock “It may look tough, but that only means you don’t have to worry about it breaking. True enough I don’t nearly break the pokemon I catch, however, if you were to try and catch it right now you would be able to do so on the first try. You see, I use endurance to bring the creature down. It struggles so hard to get out of my snares, and traps that by the time I get there it is ready to just let me do as I like. Of course, none of that would matter if I didn’t do the prudent thing and keep them starved just enough to be weak. I also go after easy game. If you were to hire me to catch a stronger fighter you wouldn’t be able to catch it so easily. My master also has his own way of doing things. A strong sleep powder attack works best I’ve found, or a thunder wave to keep it paralyzed. All these pokemon we brought in today were under some such aliment. This little guy was asleep for most of the trip here.” He said simply finishing his explanation with another tap on the top of the cage “Undue cruelty only causes the pokemon to resent the person I sell it too. You’re welcome.” He added with a smirk.

Bernard couldn’t help a chuckle as he stood up again before taking a seat across from Luke. “Very well, given the fact that Pansear are hard to catch, it is a fire- type which means I need it, and that it seems to be the healthiest pokemon here you have a catch. From that look, you know it too. However, I want to hear how a Pokemon Poacher caught this prize. Then you can name your price.”

Mark sighed heavily shaking his head “Well, I started at the beginning of the week. Me and Master Thomas were gathering Berries because we were low on them and we still had several pokemon to go hunt. As we were finishing up our berry picking we had an unexpected hiccup. This little Pansear here, attacked us. He used his ember attack on us and stole our berry bag. When…uh…I dropped it.” Clearing his throat, he continued “Well, the chase was on. I tracked and traced the damn thing for the better part of the week. I followed it, it wasn’t hard to follow despite being a speedy little thing it was highly clumsy. It kept leaving berry pieces in a trail. Eventually, I found where it nested and that was all I needed. I set up the usual rope snares, a water snare, and a drop cage snare. I did nearly a dozen of these, and then I only had to wait. Well, it had to go to a watering hole sooner or later.” He smiled patting the top of the cage lightly “I was waiting at the watering hole, and this little guy went scurrying back towards his home. The only problem was, I was on his heels and this made him a little…shall we say lost? He ran full speed into not one, but two of my snares, he managed to pull the snare trap out of its place, and then snagged the cage trap which caused the little guy to trap himself. The whole process took me the better part of a week. A full day to follow him home, two days to set the traps, and the rest of the time was spent at the nearest watering hole waiting. I am a patient hunter.” Clapping his hands, he sat forward smiling softly “Well, now that you know the whole story. Let’s talk turkey. My master and I need a pokemon that can cloud us, can dull the senses of other pokemon, and delivering a poisonous effect. We always keep a healthy supply of Pecha berries, Rawst berries, Cheri berries, and Aspear berries. These are backups you understand. Now, do you have a pokemon that fits the description of the one I need? Oh, and why not throw an extra 200 hundred gold on top of that.”

Bernard smiled widely hearing the story and the proposition. After a long silent moment, he nodded his head “Very good. You are truly a Pokemon Poacher if I ever met one. You are learning the craft well. Now that you ask, I do have a pokemon that fits this description.” He pulled a ball from his belt and held it up “This is a Stunky. He is very young, but he has some skill. I am sure he can learn the moves you want, and his natural stench shall easily mask any human scents he is around. As for the gold, certainly. I will happily give it to you. All in all, with that story and a Pansear I can’t help but be in a generous mood.” He said as he rose to his feet moving towards a small box and pulling it out a bag of gold tossing it to him.

Lucas caught the bag smiling and putting it with the Pokeball in his lap. “Thank you very much. I am glad that we can strike this bargain.”

The Logger crossed his arms nodding his head “Yes, indeed. Bargain well struck. Well, you are certainly a pokemon poacher. You can sell them, catch them, and for the most part it seems you know how to take care of them on the road. Yet, I have something else to impart onto you. This is about being a man however.” He said seriously.

Lucas blinked as he looked at the man nodding his head “I don’t quite understand. How am I not being a man? I am nearly grown, I have a profession, and I am male.”

He moved closer looking down at Lucas patting his head once “Son, the trick to being a real man is to never let anyone tell you how to live your life. You take the advice of those who know more than you sure, but you never once let anyone tell you how to go about your life as if they had a right to give you orders. You do that and you might as well be a pokemon. Is that how you want to spend your life?”

This made the youth think about his life, but the moment he opened his mouth the door slammed open. In stormed his master and with one mighty yank on the back of Lucas’ leather shirt he hauled his pupil from his seat “That is quite enough of that! Let’s get going Luke! We have more clients to meet demands of! I am not going to let you hold us up!”

As he was dragged out of the house Lucas waved his hand, but nodded his head seriously mouthing “I’ll think on that thank you.” However, he verbally said “It was a pleasure doing business with you! We shall bring you more Fire-types to you before next winter!” When they arrived outside of the village Lucas snatched himself out of his master’s grasp “I can walk master! There is nothing wrong with my legs. Anyway.” He pulled out the ball and the bag of gold handing them over to his master “I managed to obtain us a Stunky, and 200 more gold. We can use the Stunky to cover our scent so we don’t need to always be so careful of which way the wind is blowing.”

Taking the items that were offered to him the old man looked at them, then to his apprentice. After a long moment, he nodded “Very prudent. Well, with this deal done, successfully I would call you a Pokemon Poacher. Your skills will only improve and in the future, you can help make sales.” He said in a grudging tone of approval before hunching his shoulders and walking forward with a new pack on his back.

Lucas figured that it contained all of items they had just received, but he was not about to stop and ask his master seeing that he was in a fine state. Still, hearing that he was now considered even by his master to be a Pokemon Poacher in practice not just name was delightful. However, he knew how frowned upon his profession was, and that it was best he not do any business with anyone he didn’t know the reputation of. Perhaps, when his master was too old to keep hunting he would be able to inherit the man’s clients as well as whatever else was of value to him. These were thoughts of the future however, and were too far away for him to be worried about.

--------------------

Lucas O' Leery | Rogue
Profile | Travels |
Dev | Thread Tracker|PCR

Team

| PM |
^
jadedragonette
 Posted: Sep 10 2017, 05:27 AM
| Quote |

Expert Handler
Background Mods
Total Posts: 724
Member No. 1874
Joined on 18-December 14.

Characters:
Katheryn Knighton, Edith, Leslie Witcher-Steele

Awards: 6

At several points in this piece, I found that I had problems figuring out what was happening. I was also confused at several points in regards to the plausibility of what was going on. One of the biggest I could think of was how that Pansear had been caught so easily, especially without being weakened in any way. Pokemon are crafty, and even having been caught in a cage I'm certain it would have put up one hell of a fight. Even if the cage had been metal, as a fire-type, I'm sure the Pansear would have at least attempted to fry its way out - I would have appreciated seeing more of that to help with your goals, in terms of what Lucas did to keep it and not have it escape.

Alongside that, I was confused to find that two poachers would willingly carry their caged inventory near enough to a town to find Bernard, even if the man's house wasn't in the middle of the town but set off on its own. It would look highly suspicious, I would think - and likely have a huge chance of them getting caught as Pokemon poachers.

There seem to be quite a few contradictory statements here. He's a poacher, but he seems to go out of his way to make sure the inventory they catch is fairly healthy? Isn't that dangerous in terms of actually keeping them and not having them escape? As I've stated previously, Pokemon are wily creatures, and simply keeping them in a cage isn't a guaranteed catch. This Pansear had enough of a fight left in him to glare at the humans. The only mention about containing his fire side was a vague mention of something like a muzzle - were his hands tied? What about the fire on his head, under the fur?

Keep in mind, I'm only trying to help you think through what's going on here, not trying to really tear this apart. You've messaged me in the past trying to get a feeling for what you could improve with - I'd like to see you take some time and think through the realities of being a poacher, what Lucas does to prevent being caught and actually keeping his inventory. This is a decent start at that - he doesn't go after beating them until they fall, and he prefers keeping them in cages and fairly healthy - but that doesn't say how he keeps them. Getting them into a cage is one thing, but what does he do to keep them there, to keep them from getting out? What kind of cage is it that he prefers to use?

As for your goals: what you've got here has earned Lucas a starting point of rank 6 in Occupation: Pokemon Poaching. Keep in mind that the Poaching skill he has, is in regards to tracking down the Pokemon. The Occupation Poaching is more about the whole process, from tracking them down to catching and keeping them, and finding people who will buy them, along with keeping himself from getting caught. Keep working on what he does once the Pokemon is caught - this can always be improved upon, with time and effort.

No experience is gained from this, though, as this was establishing an aptitude from history.

--------------------
Katheryn Knighton
Profile | Travels | Dev | Training

Edith

Leslie Witcher-Steele

PCR | Schism Tracker | Dream Teams | Tracker
| PM || Email |
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Development | Next Newest »

| Options | | Add Reply || New Topic || New Poll |

RNG & Word Counter

Scrolling Affiliates & Listings
War Is Brewing
PokéFiends Living the Dream: a Pokemon RPG Mutant Revolution Online a resource community BTM affiliates Pokemon: Forever Forgotten Kaleidoscope deep in the meadow {warriors}

CODE
Skin designed by Daniel of Outline. Gen 6 Pokemon sprites from Smogon. Gen 7 Pokemon sprites from smogon.