Harper Region is temporarily a private site! Registration is temporarily disabled due to big site updates and due to both admins' life schedules -- moving and degree completion and internships. :) If you need to set up a new account or really, really, really want to register, email Rosalie at orosaliearto@gmail.com with "Harper" in the subject line !

Welcome to Harper Region

Important Links

Staff

Character Count: 101
Ml: 48 - Fml: 51 - Oth: 2
OR - 14 | R - 17 | H - 47 | G - 23

Quick Updates

Weather Conditions

Season: Autumn

With the cooling season of Autumn, Ice-types are starting to re-emerge from their hibernation as Ghost-, Normal-, and Flying-types swarm in the largest numbers they will all year. In comparison, wild Fire- and Bug-type populations are falling in number. The migration of Flying-types to the south in search of warmer weather has also started, as Istin City starts to re-freeze and Autumn marks the beginning of Cypwater Point's rainy season. Handlers and Rogues alike should be wary: Ghost-type powers are boosted during this season, at the cost of being more prone to their triggers.

Sister Sites

Pokemon: Terrene

Click here to vote for us once a day!
Our Topsite:
Harper Region Topsite

• Show Box
  • Hide Box

| Add Reply || New Topic || New Poll |

Bain Cale's Travels, Saladin
W
 Posted: May 29 2017, 05:36 PM
| Quote |

Senior Handler
Background Admins/Head Mods
Total Posts: 217
Member No. 2309
Joined on 28-December 16.

Characters:
Aneirin "Nirin/Nye" Vaughan, ArkBoaz "Ark" Reuter

Awards: 2

[hi, saladin! don't forget to add an egg count at the start or end of each of your posts. if you want to know the type, just simply pm an admin!]

RP Sample

As Bain started on his next adventure, the options of what to do were virtually endless. The shop that sold parchment, beads, string and other art-related items wasn’t too far from where Bain stood now. It would be moderately priced, considering that Seaway City was the heart of rich artisans. Maybe, if Bain was feeling lucky, he could haggle the price down for some nice parchment, quills and other map-making items.

Of course, if he wanted to, he could simply go ahead and find the Job Board, which was situated a few blocks from where he was. If he decided to go that route, there were a few jobs that might interested him. The first was written with messy, almost unreadable writing on some less-than nice pidgey skin:

Looking for help; will pay in gold or other items; top secret thing but I promise it’s worth it

It really looked like someone was in a rush to write it. Another job was posted on a small square of pidgey-leather, which looked worn by the sea. The edges were curled up and the writing, while not messy, was smudged and dotted with dried… whatever on some of the words:

Boater looking for help to cross Route 11; should be able to know how to sail, or be willing to learn. Crash course welcome.

There were other options for Bain to choose from, as well; he could head towards Route 11 and hope that not too many Pokemon would bother him, or he could look around and try to deal with a few of the artisans who were peddling their hard work off to tourists. There were several people around the Job Board who also looked rather interested, if Bain wanted to try and find someone to talk to.

There was a small boy, about eight years old, wearing tattered and old clothing, who was following a Krabby along an alleyway; a rather lively – and well dressed woman – who looked at the job board, holding a note and looking rather unsure whether or not to follow through with the note (and if Bain looked carefully, would know that it was one of his advertisements). And, finally, there was a rather moderately dressed man with no shoes and a bit of a sailor build who wandered around the square, as if distracted or confused about the people in Seaway City.

Of course, there were also the Pokemon options that were obvious choices, should Bain want to pursue them.

http://files.jcink.net/uploads/harperregion/sprites/585.png http://files.jcink.net/uploads/harperregion/sprites/e335252.gif - wandering around in an alleyway, looking lost and confused

http://files.jcink.net/uploads/harperregion/sprites/298azuril.png http://files.jcink.net/uploads/harperregion/sprites/e335251.gif - watching the little boy follow the Krabby

http://files.jcink.net/uploads/harperregion/sprites/312minun.png http://files.jcink.net/uploads/harperregion/sprites/e335251.gif - hoping around and causing chaos

--------------------
Aneirin "Nirin/Nye" Vaughan
profile | travels | dev | training

ArkBoaz "Ark" Reuter

pcr | goals | team | tracker
| PM |
^
Saladin
 Posted: Jun 11 2017, 12:59 PM
| Quote |

The Sultan/Paladin of Salads
Background Mods
Total Posts: 549
Member No. 2008
Joined on 21-June 15.

Characters:
N/A

Awards: 3

'Parchment is needed... as much as I would like to make more money and do another job, it's necessary I get the supplies. Lest I look the fool for being ill-prepared. A pity since the job board could be somewhat interesting, or I might end bumping into someone who wanted my services. As long as I do not deal with any of those disgusting psychics, I will be fine.'

The traveling cartographer made the decision early on to go towards the shop that sold parchment. The one thing that bugged him as he traveled along was the pokeball in his hand that was given to him as a reward. Why, he did not know but he was both curious and hesitant to open it to see what was inside. If it was a psychic type, Bain would want to get rid of the pokeball as soon as possible. He did not trust pokemon after that incident, but he knew they could be useful. If it turned out to be a useful pokemon, Bain could see himself having benefited from the payment in more ways than just the gold he got.

In the end, his curiosity won out as he walked off to the side and prayed that the pokemon was not a huge pokemon like an Onix. He opened the pokeball towards the ground and watched as a small figure came into view - and stared blankly at the face that looked in his direction. Though said face had no eyes to look at, for Bain was looking at his eyeless Zubat. The Zubat screeched at him from her place on the ground. The cartographer frowned as he did not know how a Zubat could be useful to him, though when his hand moved to his bag he noticed that the Zubat's head moved with his motion.

Bain eyed the Zubat curiously before he moved his hand back to his front and noticed the Zubat in front of him followed his hand once again. This baffled the cartographer since the Zubat was blind. When a random passerby walked by, he noticed that his Zubat's head followed the passerby's movements before it shifted back to him. "Curious. Blind, yet you can detect movement? I wonder... can you detect immobile things?" He pondered.

His Zubat screeched in what sounded like an annoyed tone at him before she flapped her wings and flew into the air. Bain simply said nothing but observed as the Zubat flew around him without coming close to hitting him, or even other objects or buildings. After a few moments though, his Zubat screeched and landed back near him, though this time she seemed to be sticking to the shadows. Bain eyed her cautiously as he observed her carefully preening her wings. He was not sure what to think of this Zubat now, but his scientific mind thought of the possibilities.

While he distrusted pokemon, he would not pass up a golden opportunity to help further his goals. His Zubat seemed to be able to see in a sense without eyes, and Bain thought the possibilities of that to be valuable. Usually he was restricted to working during the day, but having a partner that could see in the night and in dark places would help him with his mapping. Of course, the problem was that he would have to train her to help him with that... and that might require getting to know her a bit better. Bain gave a small shudder before he sighed and made up his mind.

"Very well. You've proven to me that you can see somehow despite having no eyes. I suppose you will be a handy partner to have in nighttime."

His words got what sounded like an approving yet annoyed screech from the Zubat. "Sounds like you've got a bit of pride... fine. Sigurd is your name." Bain winced as after he said that name, his Zubat gave a screech that hurt his hearing. He glared at the Zubat that seemed to glare back at him, before he frowned. Bain's glare reduced itself to a stare before he sighed and realized why his Zubat was annoyed.

"Fine... Signy it is. Not like I pay attention to any of you blasted pokemon to determine what gender you all are. Since you seem not to like the sun, I shall let you out later." Bain spoke with an irritated tone before he recalled his Zubat who gave a screech of approval at the name.

The young cartographer would end moving along after meeting his Zubat and head for the shop that sold parchment since he needed to buy some more. After a few moments he found the shop and decided to enter, ready to haggle if he felt the shopkeeper might try to rip him off. Parchment was expensive, but usually he got paid enough to justify the expense. The young cartographer wished he had learned a bit more about how to haggle as well as his father did, but knew there was no point in heading home. He was on his journeyman period before his mastery, and the cartographer would not be satisfied until he sketched his own map of the Pennant Isles to prove his mastery.

--------------

Was a bit indecisive, but ended up just doing an intro + beginning to the shop.

Egg Count at 1!

--------------------
Hadrian Treefeller

Leopold Prosper

Bain Njordsonar Cale

PCR

QUOTE BOX:

Carni: Nothing is impossible as long as there's enough BS to cushion it.nough BS to cushion it.[/b][/i]
| PM || Email || ICQ |
^
W
 Posted: Jun 22 2017, 10:09 PM
| Quote |

Senior Handler
Member No. 2309

Characters:

{.7 exp}

Once Bain had found the store, and once he had entered, he would be surrounded by beautiful smells and colors of the shop. Along one side of the wall were brushes and pencils and charcoals of all sorts that could be used for whatever medium an artist wished to use. Underneath the charcoals were a pallet of waxy pastels that were known around Seaway to not melt under the intense heat of the sun, but to also dry quick against canvas, pidgey-skin or parchment. Above them were dyes and powders that, when mixed with water, would mimic the highlights of vivid colors and the consistency of water color paints. The store, after all, was very adamant about not carrying actual thick, gooey substances like ‘paint’ because it would clot and then dry in awkward ways.

Other things in the store included parchment, beads, strings and pidgey-skin canvases and even some little bound books filled with thick pieces of toughened hide to write, draw or sketch on. Some of these were small enough to fit in a bag, but several of them were large and unruly. Depending on what Bain wanted to buy, he most likely could buy what he needed here.

The shop owner, once Bain reached the counter with any items he wished to purchase, was dressed in bright colors, which was a little out of place for even the heart of the artesian city. He had shabby, dark hair the crossed over his face, and bright green eyes that seemed to watch Bain with curious interest. It was… it was almost like the man knew who Bain was.

Not surprising, seeing as the Cale name seemed to be pretty well known around these parts.

“Is that all? Did you find everything easily?” he quipped curiously as he pushed away some items on the counter. It seemed as if he was doing some sort of art himself, which wasn’t surprising, to say the least. He did own an art store. He gave his hair a little bit of a posh puff before he let his eyes roam over Bain’s collection that he had in his hands, “If you don’t need anything else, put your stuff up on the counter and I’ll see how much it is.”

Despite not being a good conversationalist, the owner of the store did have some pretty good personality. Maybe besides just haggling, Bain could get some information out of him in regards to supplies for map making. Of course, there was also the wooden brush behind the counter that sat in a glass case that seemed like it was very important…

Maybe Bain would want to inquire about it? Then again, he could just simply haggle for the price and then leave to start his adventure fully.

--------------------

ArkBoaz "Ark" Reuter

| PM |
^
Saladin
 Posted: Jun 27 2017, 06:43 PM
| Quote |

Background Mods
Member No. 2008
Joined on 21-June 15.

Characters:
N/A

The shop smelled pleasant, and Bain gave an appreciative look at all the colors in the shop and how the inside was designed. Then again considering it was Seaway City, home of commerce that flowed from the region and outside Harper he should not have been surprised. He liked how the shopkeeper organized things and after a few moments of admiration - though the man would deny it if asked - he eyed the items he was here to purchase. While he also eyed the dyes and powders, Cale knew that coloring was not his profession. Usually map-makers would work with painters or artists to color a map if the customer wanted a colored map. It was more expensive but had the benefit of cooperation among artisans.

Bain's father seemed to know a few artists, and the young man had met a couple when he was younger. They were serious about their work, but somehow managed to work together with Loghain to make maps that were beautiful with color. The young cartographer shook his head to focus on what he was here for after getting lost in memory. The price made him frown a bit, but he gently touched the items he was interested in to see what they felt like. He was not terribly experienced in eyeing quality supplies, but his limited experience told him that the items he checked would do the job he wanted them to do.

After a few minutes he obtained a few pencils and charcoals along with some parchment. One last item that caught his eye happened to be a book that Bain noticed he could sketch and write with. The cartographer frowned as he recalled how his current journal was almost full of his writings and scribbling. He mulled it over for a few moments before taking one and heading to the counter. He waited for the shopkeeper to clear his counter a bit, and stared at him curiously. Soon Bain gave him a respectful nod and placed the items on the counter.

The younger man looked at the owner and noticed the shopkeeper eye him back. He held back a frown and an urge to ask him why he was staring, though the young man knew he would probably not like the answer. Hence he refrained from making a question and instead answered the shop owner's question.

"This will satisfy my needs for a while, yes. I am impressed at how everything was organized, it did make finding what I wanted less tedious. Some do not think little things like organization help, but I thank you for how you structured your shop." Bain replied with a faint smile to show his approval. The usually surly cartographer did not smile often, but he gave credit where it was due and appreciated little things like organization in a store he was going to purchase supplies from.

Bain patiently waited for the man to give a price before he would decide if it was worth haggling or not. As he waited, he eyed an interesting wooden brush behind the counter that sat in a glass case. He wondered what its significance was to the shop owner, as it seemed to appear important. It seemed like how Bain valued his journals, and how his father kept his first map back at home. He remembered walking into his father's study and seeing a map that seemed to be so basic and ugly, but his father took pride in. Perhaps it was an artist thing? As such, despite wishing to haggle for the price and start his adventure Bain could not help but ask about the brush.

"A treasure of yours, that brush behind you? Pardon me for asking, but I was curious. I am afraid I cannot tell anything special about it from a glance, but it seems important." Bain asked politely.

If the man was not interested in answering Bain, the cartographer would not be fussed and instead try to haggle with the man over the supplies he placed on the counter before heading out to find a job or commission. Otherwise, he would be interested in listening to the shop owner talk about the brush and why it was in the case.

-----------

Egg count at 2!

--------------------
Hadrian Treefeller

Leopold Prosper

Bain Njordsonar Cale

PCR

QUOTE BOX:

Carni: Nothing is impossible as long as there's enough BS to cushion it.nough BS to cushion it.[/b][/i]
| PM || Email || ICQ |
^
W
 Posted: Jul 13 2017, 07:40 AM
| Quote |

Senior Handler
Member No. 2309

Characters:

{ .7 exp! }

The shop keeper basically ignored everything Bain had said in terms of how his shop was set up. The owner knew exactly how to set up his shop to bring in the most profit – if he didn’t, his shop wouldn’t be half as popular as it was. He rolled his shoulders and squared himself as he determined the price of the items set upon his counter by Bain. Yes, yes. Good. He could get a pretty penny for all this.

“Yes, thank you for the tips about my shop,” the bad conversationalist said. He shuffled some of the items into piles before he pointed to one, which was the pencils and the book, and stared at Bain with a straight face, “This alone is four hundred. The other is a hundred. Total will be five,” the man said off handedly. Bain could, if he so desired, haggle this price, but the shop owner might be a hard man to budge. Maybe Bain could offer him something? Who knew.

At the turn of the conversation at the brush, the man glanced at it and then gave a solid grin, at the cartographer, “Ever hear of the story of the Smeargle without a Tail?” he started. He shuffled Bain’s required or wanted items to either side and leaned forwards so his arms were folded against the wood of the counter. He let his fingers of his right hand tap against the elbow of his left arm, and his grin became a little darker. “Legend says there was a Smeargle around these parts at one point, who was so good with the paints, that a poacher snagged him and cut off his tail. Some say that you could still hear the Smeargle crying in the woods if you go far enough on the island…”

But then the shop keeper shrugged, moved from the counter and reached up to take the brush down. He wiped away some of the dust on the glass and stared at the equipment fondly, “I don’t believe it’s very true, but this brush is supposedly the one that was created with the Smeargle tail. It costs a pretty penny, but I’m sure if you have the funds, I’d sell it to you,” the shop keeper said. He was, after all, a painter, but before that, he was a shop owner, and hey – even he needed to get money.

Either way, the brush would be set on the table and the men would haggle the price of the more common items that Bain originally set down. If Bain was skilled, he’d manage to haggle from five hundred to three hundred, but then the man wouldn’t budge. He could take the deal – three hundred might’ve been a bit more expensive than he would’ve liked, but the products would far beat out any of the competition stores. Of course… maybe Bain could offer his services? He never knew what that might yield.

Should Bain decide to offer making a map, the price would go from three hundred to one hundred, and the shop keep would give a toothy grin and lean forwards. He’d tap his fingers against the counter between then and openly announce that he’d want a map of the island, in as much detail as possible. Not entirely a hard task to say the least, but definitely one of that would be of a hiccup to Bain’s schedule. Of course, there might be more than just a hefty discount for Bain’s items…

Of course, Bain could also agree to the three hundred gold payment, and move about his day. He could head back towards the job board – the Pokemon and all the aforementioned people were there, although the well dressed lady was no longer looking at the board, and the krabby was gone, leaving the little boy in tattered clothes by himself to wander through the small crowds.

Whatever Bain decided to do, he’d need to choose it fast. The shop keep was only going to let him linger around his store for oh so long.

--------------------

ArkBoaz "Ark" Reuter

| PM |
^
Saladin
 Posted: Jul 26 2017, 09:18 PM
| Quote |

Background Mods
Member No. 2008
Joined on 21-June 15.

Characters:
N/A

Bain inwardly frowned at the shopkeeper's response about the shop, recognizing the dismissing tone. The journeyman cartographer heard the price and held back a frown as he knew he would want to haggle the price. However, the young man patiently listened to the man as he spoke about the brush. While Bain did not particularly enjoy listening to a legend about a pokemon, he admitted that it was quite the tale. However, he did not believe in the tale and figured it was something fanciful to appeal to an aspiring artist.

Of course, it could possibly be real, but Bain preferred to not put stock on legends. The young cartographer knew that he did not want to spend his money on the brush, not unless it was truly something special and worth the time. If it had some special properties, he would possibly consider it.

The young cartographer started his haggling with the man to try to negotiate the price down. He argued that they would be well-spent and any map he made from the supplies, he would give his credit to those who gave him the supplies he used. This was true for the young man, for while he was slightly vain and arrogant, he gave credit where it was due and respected those who did hard work in creating something. He would go further and try to haggle that he was the son of a well-known cartographer, and that as much as he loathed using his father's name, being the son of a more famous cartographer would be helpful. The young man also offered to state that he would only use this shop in the future if he was in the area for supplies if the price was knocked down.

The young man was not sure if the man would budge, but once the man reached his limit Bain mulled over the price given. After a few moments of thought, he decided to offer his service in making a map for the shopkeeper. To Bain, it looked like the wrong thing to say as the shopkeeper announced he wanted a map of the island in as much detail as possible. The young man scowled as such a thing would not be done quickly, and would require a significant investment - both in supplies, and in time. He wanted to go to the Pennant Isles and map them... and mapping this Island would take time that might not be necessary.

Bain frowned as he knew he had at least some sketches of places he walked by and explored on this island, but it would require more effort to get better detail - and travel. He gave a pained expression as he mulled over the low price of a hundred gold. Eventually Bain decided that while it was a time investment, there was merit in doing this. He could use the time to get to know Signy better and hopefully train her to be his eyes in the darkness. If she could somehow relay to him information about what she 'saw' at night with her echolocation, his mapping could go faster and possibly reach a new level. The notion of becoming closer to his father's skill and potentially on the path to surpassing him was very tempting.

"Very well. I will do this map, but let us hammer out the details. I will pay the 100 gold now." He spoke as he took out the appropriate amount of gold from his bag and placed it on the counter.

"Now... what kind of detail are we talking? Is this a geographical map you want? Anything that is colored is extra since I would have to negotiate with a painter... unless you know someone or you yourself wish to color the map. What kind of scale do you want for the map? By this, I mean the size - do you want a map of the entire island like how a flying type may see it from above, or a map based on how one might explore or go about this island from the ground? Also, how accurate do you want it to be? I can make the roads and waterways more exaggerated to make it easier to see visually, or I can go more realistic and make it finer Of course, the latter is more time-consuming and costs more... but that is your choice. This is a significant investment on both of our ends if you truly want a very detailed map, and it will likely take me over a couple of weeks." He told in a business-like tone.

The young man was serious about his work, and thus to him it was necessary to ask these questions. It was very important to be precise on the level of detail required. Detailed maps were vastly different compared to say, a general purpose map that would show a road among a few towns in an area.

"The price can be negotiated of course. Before... and after should the map not live up to your expectations. That is on my family name's honor, and my own. I strive to make a map that makes a customer satisfied, otherwise it would be insulting to myself and them. Also... I may have my own request in exchange for this, though this can wait until after I do this map. It is not something I need now, but I will need help later since I am taking the time to invest on this map."

After that, Bain waited for the shopkeeper to reply.

------------

-100 gold, if accepted to be taken from Bain's inventory. Otherwise whatever the price is if the shopkeeper changed his mind, or decided to not want a map.

Egg count at 3.

--------------------
Hadrian Treefeller

Leopold Prosper

Bain Njordsonar Cale

PCR

QUOTE BOX:

| PM || Email || ICQ |
^
W
 Posted: Aug 9 2017, 02:55 AM
| Quote |

Senior Handler
Member No. 2309

Characters:

{ .6 exp }

They had come to a suitable agreement – one hundred plus a map for all the supplies, or three hundred straight. The man was content with leaving it at that – the pool of stuff in front of him and between the two men was worth more than three hundred gold pieces. He knew what he was doing – but apparently the map maker who followed in his father’s footsteps didn’t seem to know how to negotiate. As Bain set the money on the counter, and then hounded the shop keeper for details of what he wanted, the male’s arms crossed over his chest and he rolled his shoulders. It was only when Bain brought up the topic of price.

It was really no surprise that the shop keeper’s face twisted in annoyance. It wouldn’t take Bain any time at all to realize that the shop keep suddenly wanted him out, “I’ll take three hundred, plus an extra fifteen fee for the work I put into making those items. No deal besides that. Consider yourself lucky that I’m even letting you off with as much stuff as I am for almost half the price. Don’t ever step foot into my shop again,” the man warned. He’d wait impatiently for the extra money – which, of course, Bain would have to pay, and then would have to leave.

In fact, the shop keeper, once the money was taken, would turn his back on Bain and not give him another time of day. He would pick up his paint brush and go back to doing what he was before Bain distracted him, although this time much stiffer armed and tight shouldered. Bain would, of course, be forced to leave the shop – all his items bound up in his arms, because the shop keep didn’t bother to put them in any sort of carrying sack for him.

Once outside, Bain wouldn’t even be able to get near the job board. Things were unfolding outside between a young woman about Bain’s age – dressed in a long skirt and a tight blouse that clung to her shoulders. She looked panicked or at least distressed, and it wasn’t much of a surprise. Surrounding her, a flock of Wingull stood, all looking rather menacing and angry. Whatever had she done to cause such a ruckus?

Bain could help the girl, if he so chose. He could effortlessly use his new Pokemon to battle the wingull, or just try to create a distraction. If he chose that route in anyway and if he got close enough, the girl would give a happy sigh and scoot closer to him, sort of in protection from the flying Pokemon who were quite angry at her already. If he decided to stay far and try to stop the wingull from a distance, she’d scurry off and he’d be stuck with the flying Pokemon himself. Maybe he’d find it interesting in the tale of the handmaiden and the flock of feathers. Who knew.

Of course, Bain could always simply ignore it, and go about his business. The same jobs were up on the board, and the Pokemon were still lurking about. All he had to do was choose what next adventure he was going to go on, and from there, his journey would authentically begin.

{ rolled 200-400 and got 315, which is how much Bain paid towards the purchase of his supplies. }

--------------------

ArkBoaz "Ark" Reuter

| PM |
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Seaway City & Maritime | Next Newest »

| Options | | Add Reply || New Topic || New Poll |

RNG & Word Counter

Scrolling Affiliates & Listings
War Is Brewing
PokéFiends Living the Dream: a Pokemon RPG Mutant Revolution Online a resource community BTM affiliates Pokemon: Forever Forgotten Kaleidoscope deep in the meadow {warriors}

CODE
Skin designed by Daniel of Outline. Gen 6 Pokemon sprites from Smogon. Gen 7 Pokemon sprites from smogon.