Harper Region is temporarily a private site! Registration is temporarily disabled due to big site updates and due to both admins' life schedules -- moving and degree completion and internships. :) If you need to set up a new account or really, really, really want to register, email Rosalie at orosaliearto@gmail.com with "Harper" in the subject line !

Welcome to Harper Region

Important Links

Staff

Character Count: 101
Ml: 48 - Fml: 51 - Oth: 2
OR - 14 | R - 17 | H - 47 | G - 23

Quick Updates

Weather Conditions

Season: Autumn

With the cooling season of Autumn, Ice-types are starting to re-emerge from their hibernation as Ghost-, Normal-, and Flying-types swarm in the largest numbers they will all year. In comparison, wild Fire- and Bug-type populations are falling in number. The migration of Flying-types to the south in search of warmer weather has also started, as Istin City starts to re-freeze and Autumn marks the beginning of Cypwater Point's rainy season. Handlers and Rogues alike should be wary: Ghost-type powers are boosted during this season, at the cost of being more prone to their triggers.

Sister Sites

Pokemon: Terrene

Click here to vote for us once a day!
Our Topsite:
Harper Region Topsite

• Show Box
  • Hide Box

| Add Reply || New Topic || New Poll |

White Blank Page, Quinn Fox's development thread
Shleby
 Posted: Aug 15 2017, 09:55 PM
| Quote |

Novice Handler
Members
Total Posts: 62
Member No. 2391
Joined on 13-August 17.

Characters:
Quinn Fox

Awards: None

"Slo..po..?" whispered the little slowpoke nestled by a campfire. He was watching his new handler doing something over the fire. There was a stick in her hand, and on it were two small fish. Slug was wondering what in the world she was doing. He'd never seen someone do that to a fish before. 'Aren't you just supposed to eat it?' he was utterly confused, which wasn't an uncommon state for him.

Slug's tummy grumbled as he smelled the smoke from fish grease dripping into the fire.

He sniffed the air heavily and made himself even hungrier. Maybe that lady was doing something to make the fishies tasty? Unconsciously his mouth dropped open and he started to drool. Neither occurance phased him, and instead he was amazingly focused on the food. So focused that he inched closer without even thinking about it and accidentally touched his foot on one of the hot stones around the fire. The paint didn't phase him at all, and he just stared at the cooking fish while his foot started to burn slightly.

The slowpoke was surprised when his handler looked over, hurriedly put down the fish skewer and rushed over to save his paw from the flames. His trance was broken, and suddenly the pain hit him. He cried out and a tear formed in the pit of his eyes while Quinn poured water on his paw. "Slug! What were you doing? You could have hurt yourself really bad!" Slug didn't listen and just sniffled and struggled a bit as Quinn tried to bandage his little foot.

"Ugh..." his owner sighed "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to yell." Slug stopped struggling and started to pay a bit more attention. Her words were more comforting, and seemed to help him calm down a bit. "It'll be okay Slug, here..." The girl leaned forward, Slug still in her lap, and grabbed the fish skewer. She held it in front of the slowpoke's nose and said "You can have them both, they're yummy I promise."

Slug immediately forgot about his injury and gobbled down both of the delicious fish. He burped and smiled, his belly now full and content. Slug looked up at Quinn, "Po!" He exclaimed in gratitude.

"You're welcome little guy..." Slug heard his owner say as he slipped into a small food coma. That fish was the best...

--------------------
Quinn Fox

Profile | Travels | Development | Training | Tracker
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
Slug | Mysha | Nesti
| PM || Email |
^
Korosensei
 Posted: Aug 21 2017, 09:02 AM
| Quote |

Stupidface McNoctowl
Background Mods
Total Posts: 1614
Member No. 1923
Joined on 24-February 15.

Characters:
Alexander Fitzgerald | Emilie Chartoire

Awards: 5

For a first dev attempt, I like the way Quinn and Slug are interacting, and there's definitely promise for more in the future, but I didn't really see too much bonding going on here. Yes, Quinn helped when Slug put his paw in the flames, and fed him fish, but I didn't get the feeling that Slug was appreciating Quinn doing this more than he would appreciate any other person doing it. He understands Quinn is his "owner," but what does this mean to him? For him? I think it could be interesting to explore ideas like this in future devs, as well as trying to figure out how Slug can build a relationship with Quinn that's different from what he would have with someone else. What's unique about what Quinn can bring to the relationship? How about Slug?

Since the interaction in this pretty-short dev post did stay at the basic/surface level, I'm not giving a happiness bar for this post, since their relationship still feels relatively neutral to me.

As a note, putting goals at the top of the post will also help grading mods come up with feedback in areas that you'd want the most. I don't necessarily know what you were looking for in the post, so all I can say is that I did enjoy the beginning of the POV work with Slug, but I think a happiness bar requires a little more depth than what's happened in this one post.

Please feel free to poke me for more feedback or any questions you may have! http://files.jcink.net/uploads/harperregion/sprites/emoticons/1.png

--------------------

user posted image

Past Characters

Korosensei's Post Count Rewards
Caledonia picture by August! Alexander and Casper sprites by Mackay!
| PM || Email || ICQ |
^
Shleby
 Posted: Aug 26 2017, 11:14 PM
| Quote |

Novice Handler
Members
Member No. 2391
Joined on 13-August 17.

Characters:
Quinn Fox

Goals

The sun was low in the sky. Its glowing edge kissed the horizon as it slowly inched ever lower, signalling the beginning of dusk. An orange glow emanated from it and cast beautiful shades of red and pink on the few clouds that dotted the sky. It would be the perfect setting for a pleasant stroll, but to one girl it was wretched and she wanted it to just end.

A heavy sigh escaped the redhead's lungs as she walked along a gravel path leading only god knew where. Her feet seemed to drag slightly, and her posture was a bit slumped. There were bags under her grey-blue eyes, both of which were struggling to stay open. Her clothes were dirty and she had bruises spattered across her body. A few small scratches dotted her arms and face. The girl was a wreck, a tired, stumbling wreck that needed nothing other than sleep. But she was miles from any town or place to bed down, and she needed to keep moving. It had been a rough day for the girl, something that she wish never to happen again. She knew travelling was dangerous, but she never thought she'd have to deal with the danger herself.

------------------------------------Earlier that day------------------------------------

Dawn was only two hours away when a girl was awoken from a deep slumber to the sound of rustling and a crying pokemon. The sounds of a struggle roused her from her sleep, but her mind was foggy and she needed a moment to figure out what was going on. Next to her, a pink pokemon was thrashing about in the arms of a stranger. They were trying to pick him up off of the ground, but he was making that incredibly difficult for the thug. It only took Quinn a second to realize that this person was trying to steal Slug. She was scared and unsure about what to do, at first, but after a moment she gathered herself.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?!" She growled as she reached for her bag. She didn't have a weapon other than her hunting knife, but he wanted the thug to think she did. A risky move, but it was all she could think of. As she reached for the bag another figure walked up behind her and pointed a sword at her back.

"Don't move." They spoke with the intent to intimidate Quinn. She froze. 'What do I do?!' she thought as she watched Slug struggle and slap his tail against the thief's legs. "OW, calm down ye bastard!" He growled with a deep, raspy voice. Quinn's eyes started to water ever so slightly. She was scared, and even though she'd had plenty of experience fighting her brothers, she'd never fought an unknown assailant before. How would they react? Was she going to be killed? What about Slug?

Her thoughts started to focus on her pokemon, and she realized that she needed to do something. If not for herself, then for him. A wave of courage washed over her, and for a while she felt like she could take on the world. In those seconds she also felt like she wasn't even controlling herself, like she was watching someone else fight with her body.

Quinn reached back, grabbed the ankle of the thug behind her and pulled as hard as she could. The man lost balance and went crashing to the ground. As he did so, the tip of his sword grazed Quinn's cheek, leaving a small but noticeable cut. He hit the ground with a sickening thud, his head smacking against the hardened earth. Quinn's lips turned upward into a fiery, determined grin as she turned her attention to the other human. She grabbed her bag, tossed it over her shoulder, then took the thug's sword.

The man that was struggling to steal Slug was too distracted by his job that he didn't notice Quinn grabbing his accomplice's sword until she was holding it up to his face. Quinn had no experience with a sword, but she was faking it in order to scare the man.

"Let him go." She growled. Quinn pushed the sword forward an inch, just to startle the man. He took a step back from the pokemon. "Ye don't wanna do this girly..." His hand moved toward the dagger on his hip, but he stopped when Quinn pushed the sword closer. "Get back!" She exclaimed, and the man took another step back. Quinn noticed his eyes trail away from her toward his friend, and she swiveled around just in time to dodge the man's grab.

The grabber couldn't compensate for his weight, and he fell forward into slug and tripped over him. Slug cried out, hurt from the kick. The man fell into his accomplice and the pair fell to the ground. Now was her chance.

Quinn pulled Slug's pokeball out of her bag and recalled him. Then, as the men were scrambling to get up, she turned and ran. She had no idea where she was going, but she was going to run for as long as she could. The girl could hear the men chasing after her, and she just told herself not to look back and to keep going.

"You bitch, I'm gonna kill you!" The injured man yelled. His head was dripping blood, but he was still determined to catch her. "Yer pokemon is mine!" The other man called out.

Quinn shuttered, she was still running on adrenaline but that didn't mean she wasn't scared. She ran and ran, as fast as possible. She led the pair of thugs into the dense treeline along the roadside. She was hoping to lose them in the brush. This turned out to be a mistake as her foot snagged on a root and she went tumbling down a slope. She crashed into bushes and branches as she fell down the hill into a creek. She laid there, disoriented and breathing heavily. She needed to rest, but she could hear the men coming. They were cussing and yelling as they drew nearer, and Quinn needed to get away. She managed to get on her feet, but grimaced at the pain that her new bruises were causing.

She started running away again, but she couldn't run anymore. She needed to hide. Quinn looked around and found a large, dense bush to jump into and knelt. She hid there with her hand on her mouth to keep her from breathing too loudly. She watched through a gap as the men walked by.

"Where'd she go, eh? Did ye see 'er?"

"No, I didn't ******** see her."

Their voices trailed off as they continued to search along the creek. Quinn sighed when they were out of earshot, and slumped down onto the ground. 'What do I do now, Slug' she thought to herself as she rolled the full pokeball around in her hands. She figured she needed to stay there for a while, just in case those thugs came back. But for how long?

Quinn stayed there for hours, her body ached and her rump was asleep but she felt she needed to stay as long as possible. After the day had passed and the sun started to fall, she decided it was best if she started trying to find an inn to stay at. She needed rest and food. She had been walking for about a mile, and as she saw the sun setting she worried that she would never find a town. She needed to make a call. Find a place to camp for the night? Or keep searching for a town?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now here she was, battered and bruised, travelling along an empty road in search of a safe place to sleep. The sun was falling rapidly, and the darkness was closing in. A chilly breeze sent goose bumps up Quinn's back and arms. She started to wonder if she would ever find town, or would she be better off just making camp now while there was still light. 'If I keep going and don't find an inn, I might lose my chance to make a good camp while there's still light.' she reasoned with herself. So she'd decided, it was time to set up camp.

Quinn walked off the road a few paces and found a small grassy area that was big enough for her, Slug, and a fire. It was sheltered by trees, and surrounded by plenty of dry branches and twigs for a fire. It was a lovely spot, and if she hadn't been so tired and desperate she would have loved it. But, she was exhausted, and all she wanted was a warm bed and a good stiff mead. She sighed at the thought of a gut warming drink of honey beer, longing for the sweet taste of her favorite beverage. Maybe she could have one soon, as soon as she found a town.

The redhead bent down and sat her bag down on the grassy earth. Her body ached, and she groaned as she stood back up. She stretched her arms above her head and tried to stretch her back in an attempt to ease her pains. She remembered that when she was younger, her father would have her stretch whenever she felt sore. He would say "Bodies get stiff and injured if they don't stretch even when they're sore." So she stretched some more. It hurt, but once she was done, the pains felt a little more like a good pain after exercise than what they really were. It was lucky, she figured, that she didn't receive anything more than some bruising and cuts. She could have died!

Another shiver ran down her spine at the thought of her own death, and in that moment she felt alone and scared. Quinn bent down, rummaged around in her bag, and pulled out her pokemon's capsule. She released the slowpoke, who shimmered into existence in front of her. He started thrashing and crying out, and it seemed he thought he was still being attacked. Why? Quinn wondered for a split second. Does time stop for them in there?

A wave of fear crashed over Quinn, and she had no idea why. She stood there and felt terrified even though all she wanted was to help her pokemon. Wait, her pokemon. He was part psychic, was he...making her feel this way? She shuddered at the thought of a creature being able to influence her in such a way, it was frightening for a girl who had no experience with psychic pokemon. What should she do? Is it always like this? Can he always make her feel like this? Quinn struggled mentally and pushed past the fear. She gathered her strength and knelt down next to her slowpoke.

"Slug...Slug it's okay!" Quinn did her best to calm the pokemon down, but he just kept thrashing and the feeling of fear wasn't leaving the back of Quinn's mind. What should she do? She tried to put her hand on him and give him some pets, but he thrashed and smacked her hand away with his tail. "Ack!" her hand stung from the sudden blow. She sighed, and sat down. What could she do?

A thought popped into her head and she realized that she had one thing that might work. She leaned over, grabbed her bag, and pulled out a leather pouch. The girl untied a string, opened the pouch, and pulled out a piece of sweet meat. It was just pungent enough that she thought it might pull Slug out of his hysteria. She put the pouch bag in her bag and turned her attention to the slowpoke. She held her hand out flat, palm facing up, and placed the meat on it.

"Slug, I have some food for you..." She cooed. The pokemon didn't hear her, and he kept whimpering. "Slug, please? I have some food for you." She inched her hand closer to the pokemon's nose.

The pokemon's thrashing stopped and he opened his eyes. He was shivering and scared, but the smell of the food had pulled him out of his trance. The fear that had flooded Quinn's mind washed away. Slug was still scared, but the feelings he had pushed onto Quinn were gone. It seemed he could only do that under stress, and honestly that relieved the girl. She wanted to get used to the psychic powers on her own terms.

"It's okay little guy, those jerks are gone." Quinn comforted Slug. "I have this for you." she said as she presented the food to Slug.

His shivering stopped and he tilted his head. He was still cautious, but he really wanted that food. Slug looked around, and when he determined it was just the pair of them, he inched forward and took the meat from Quinn's hand. The moment the sweet and salty food touched his tongue, all thoughts were erased from Slugs mind. It was delicious to him and now he just wanted more. The slowpoke wiggled his rump and walked up to Quinn. He knew that, unlike those evil humans, this human was might be good. She gave him food and love, and that was what was building his trust. She had saved him, and he appreciated that.

Quinn gave the slowpoke a pat on the head and said, "There you go, see? They're all gone." She and Slug sat there for a while as she petted him. As his fear completely subsided, Slug curled up next to Quinn and enjoyed the attention she was giving him. He felt he couldn't express how much he appreciated the girl for what she did, so instead he just provided her company. Rugged hands caressed the pink pokemon gently. Quinn enjoyed the slightly warm feeling of Slug's smooth skin and his slow, rhythmic breathing. It was soothing for her to just give her friend some love and attention.

The calmness of the situation made Slug relax even more, and he nuzzled his head under Quinn's arm. It was a safe place to him, a warm place. He could just lay here with his head hidden for hours while receiving pets. All he ever wanted in life was relaxation and calm. He wanted to sleep and eat and be at peace. Who didn't anyway?

As the pink creature laid there, his eyes began to feel heavy. He was tired from the excitement of the day, but he couldn't help but feel scared. He didn't want to get attacked again. As he thought about what happened to him earlier in the day, his heart began to beat faster and a wave of panic washed over him. His fear sent a small twinge into Quinn's mind, a tickle, a feeling like there was some unknown thing that wanted to harm them. It was a feeling of fear again, and Quinn realized that her pokemon was afraid again. Quinn wasn't all that glad that his emotions could effect her in such a way, but she had a slight feeling that this might come in handy somewhere down the line.

"Don't be scared little guy" She spoke softly as she stroked Slug's head, or at least what she could reach. "It's all going to be okay, we're safe now." Slug pulled his head out from beneath Quinn's arm and gazed into her eyes. He could feel that she was calm and that she was sincere. His eyes began to water a tad as he realized that his human was indeed a good one. He was happy to have her.

Calm returned to the pair, and Quinn smiled. She was glad that Slug was beginning to trust her. All she had ever wanted was a companion, but she'd never thought it would be a slowpoke. But, as it turned out, slug was a great one. He was stubborn and lazy at times, but his willingness to trust and to love made Quinn feel like she was doing something right. Like she was important.

After a few more minutes of petting and relaxation, Quinn stated "Okay Slug, time to make a fire and try to sleep. Sound good?" The slowpoke smiled and let Quinn get out from underneath him.

Quinn let him relax and fall asleep while she gathered twigs, branches and kindling for her fire. She built a small pyramid with the sticks and used her flint to set some kindling aflame. The girl gently sat the burning kindling in the middle of the wooden structure and blew on it until some of the sticks had caught fire. She smiled, proud of her handiwork, and sat back down next to Slug. She pulled her bag over, pulled out a small blanket, and snuggled up next to her now sleeping pokemon. She grabbed the bag and used it as a pillow. It wasn't that comfortable, but it would do.

"Goodnight Slug." She yawned and placed her head on her makeshift pillow. It took a little while, but as she listened to her pokemon's soft breathing she was lulled to sleep. Hopefully she wouldn't be woken up again.

--------------------
Quinn Fox

Slug | Mysha | Nesti
| PM || Email |
^
jadedragonette
 Posted: Sep 26 2017, 12:42 PM
| Quote |

Expert Handler
Background Mods
Total Posts: 781
Member No. 1874
Joined on 18-December 14.

Characters:
Katheryn Knighton, Edith, Leslie Witcher-Steele

Awards: 6

This was adorable, to say the least. I'm not sure what to say, besides the fact that you're definitely getting a handle on Quinn and Slug, and a better idea of what the Harper settling has to offer.

For "rewards", I'm going to say that Quinn and Slug clearly have worked a bit on something approaching trust and a bond. Slug is going to gain +1 happiness! While you did work on something akin to a mental bond based on emotions, it wasn't much or very long - for now, I'm not going to add in any sort of note towards this. This seems more like the introduction of the fact that Slug is half-psychic, than any work on this interaction just yet.

--------------------
Katheryn Knighton
Profile | Travels | Tracker

Edith

Leslie Witcher-Steele

PCR | Schism Tracker | Dream Teams
| PM || Email |
^
Shleby
 Posted: Jun 26 2018, 04:21 PM
| Quote |

Novice Handler
Members
Member No. 2391
Joined on 13-August 17.

Characters:
Quinn Fox

Goals and Context

sniff sniff sniff.

A tiny black nose tested the air; searching, longing, for something. Where was it? Scents filled the air, muddled and confusing. One moment, a musky odor, the next damp earth. Dew covered grass over here and then, ooh! The sweet smell of ripe berries. 'Mmm, berries...' the thought pushed it's way ahead of any other focus, distracting the mind of the nose in search of something. It moved toward the direction of the berry smell, then stopped. 'N-no. Must find it...'

sniff sniff.

'Must be here, yes yes, must be...' The creature, a small blue and cream colored mouse like animal, followed it's nose every which way. It sniffed the air, up and down side to side, in search of the object it desired. It's movements were erratic and hurried, as if it was in a rush to find it's quarry. It's interest lied in a delicate scent, reminiscent of young rose blossoms with a hint of lavender.

sniff...sniff!

"Purple Plant!" exclaimed the little minun as it took off running in the direction of the delightful smell. Within seconds the mouse found itself in a small patch of dark green vegetation that had small purple flowers dappled across it. The minun grinned widely then without hesitation started picking as many flowers as it could hold in it's tiny arms.

'Yes, found Purple Plant. Now home.' thought the pokemon as it gathered up a few more flowers in it's mouth. The little pokemon spun around and headed back in the direction it came from at dancing sort of run. It was so delighted to have found the flowers, and now all it needed to do was get them home. The little minun followed a familiar and strong scent back towards where it'd come from. A scent that brought to mind love and happiness.

It pranced and danced through the trees and across a dirt pathway lined with large bushes. Having found it's treasure, the minun was so focused on getting it back to it's nest that it didn't hear the rustling in the bushes next to the path. It was all too late that it saw a hand emerge from the foliage and send a strange orb in it's direction. Before the minun could even think of running, the sphere had struck it's mark and the creature started to shimmer red and fade away. It de-materialized into the ball, all the while entering a type of stasis. The pokemon immediately struggled, and tried to escape the red fog that surrounded it. But it was too strong, and the little pokemon could do nothing but fall into a seemingly endless sleep. It was caught.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Suddenly, and without warning, the minun shimmered back into existence. It was confused and stunned for a moment, as if it had been scared awake. "What happen?" the little pokemon squeaked. Looking around it could tell that it was in the same spot it had been in just a moment ago, but was now flowerless. It froze the moment it's eyes focused and stared at a large human looming over it. The minun shrieked in terror "No, I must home!" and scampered off in the direction of it's den. It ran several yards away, then started to shimmer away again. The red fog closed in, faster this time, and placed the pokemon in a trance.

Was it seconds, or hours before the pokemon was let back out of it's pokeball? There was no real way to be sure in the minun's frantic state. All it cared about was getting home. There was something important, something vital that needed doing, and it was going to get it done one way or another. The moment it shimmered back into the world it bolted, determined to make it to it's nest. But once it reached the same place it had reached before, a few yards away, the pokemon was forcefully summoned back into it's spherical enclosure.

Once again the mouse was released from it's ball, and once again it was recalled when it got far enough away. This happened several more times until finally the minun took a second to think when it was released a final time. The small minun shimmered into existence one last time and it stood there, with a puzzled, and somewhat angry look on it's face.

"It's okay I'm not going to hurt you. I'm your new handler, Quinn." cooed the human to the creature. The human knelt down and held out a hand for the minun to sniff. Hesitantly, the pokemon took small steps towards the human and sniffed the air in the direction of the handler. It didn't want to get too close, and stayed just far enough away to feel comfortable, about a foot. The woman smelled of dirt and fire, and slightly sweet like a berry. It was an inviting smell, not the scent of something that would typically try to eat the minun. But still it was cautious.

A few more steps forward, and it's nose was mere inches from the human's hand. But before it touched the hand, it stepped on something and looked down. 'Purple Plant!' It frantically bent down to retrieve the flowers that were now scattered across the pathway. As it picked up flower after flower it noticed out of the corner of it's eye that the human was also picking up the flowers. The human presented what she had found to the minun and said "These seem important to you, were you collecting them?" Was she...was she helping?

"Yes." The pokemon nodded at the human, for the moment choosing to forget it's fear in order to get it's quest completed. The minun gathered up the last of the flowers and approached the human, arms outstretched to show that it wanted her to give it the flowers.

"Oh, here you go..." the girl chimed as she placed the small bundle of flowers in the pokemon's arms. The minun smiled, thankfully, and turned and started to walk in the direction of home. It looked over it's shoulder as it walked away, as if signalling for the human to follow, which she did. The pokemon knew, now, that it wouldn't be able to just run home. it needed to stay less than a few meters away from the human or it would get sucked back up into the ball. It wasn't exactly happy about this, but for now all it wanted to focus on was getting back to it's den.

The minun, followed by a large human girl, trudged through the woods for a few minutes in silence. The pokemon was particularly careful to stay within a certain distance of the girl, which proved difficult. She had to travel slowly through the thicket whilst the minun could easily dart around on the forest floor. Every few feet the minun would stop and let the human catch up. They travelled like that for a while until the minun saw what it was looking for and, loosing all sense, bolted for the small den that sat under the roots of a large dead tree. All around the den were arrangements of various flowers. Small white daisies all in a row, little blue flowers forming a circle, and many more.

"Is this your home?" asked the girl as she knelt down and peered into the dirt tunnel, being careful not to crush any of the flowers. The little pokemon paid no attention to it's new handler and instead rummaged around in it's den looking for other flowers it had stashed. It gathered up some yellow, white, and orange flowers then emerged from the dark den right in the girl's face. "I must finish." squeaked the minun as it glanced around the flat earth surrounding it's den. There were a few bare patches in between the various flowers and shapes. The pokemon dashed over to one of the empty spots and started placing the purple flowers in a star shape with their stems facing inward.

"Oh I see, you want to make it look nice." the girl said as she sat down next to the decorated nest site. She then remained silent and just watched while the minun did it's work. She was just studying the pokemon as it nibbled away stems that were too long and discarded them. The minun, in turn, did it's own version of studying. It glanced over at the human ever so often to gauge what she was doing, keeping in mind every little motion she made. Making sure she wasn't going to disturb today's floral arrangement.

After a few minutes, several new shapes had appeared outside of the minun's den. There was a purple star, a white circle, orange lines and yellow scattered amongst it all. It was almost like a painting now, the whole area was covered in various colors and textures mush like that of a canvas. It was unlike anything the human had ever seen. The little pokemon smiled, more for himself than for the human, and sighed contentedly. He'd done it, he'd finally made his masterpiece.

It had taken the minun days of scouting to find the perfect flowers, and finally it had found the final touches. Minun bounced up and down, balls of sparks materializing in it's stubby paws, and it started cheering much like a human would at a jousting event.

"How pretty, minun." the pokemon's celebration was cut short when it heard the human's voice once again. In that moment it dawned on the minun that it was now forced to stay by this human's side for some reason that it didn't quite understand. It had something to do with that ball, that's all the little pokemon knew. The minun had seen many a pokemon be snatched up by those prison balls, and even more fail to be caught. It seems luck was not on the minun's side that day, and it knew it should have been more careful and not crossed the humans' path.

How was the pokemon going to make his flower-scapes now? If it truly did have to be with this human now, would it ever see flowers again? The little pokemon frowned and looked up at the human. "Flowers..." it mumbled with a tear forming in the pit of it's eye. 'No more flowers?' thought the minun as a salty droplet trickled down it's cheek.

The human also frowned, then suddenly she started to mess with the brown sack on her back. Minun jumped, half frightened by the sudden motion, and fled into it's nest. It peered out to see the human holding a rectangular green object. From within the green shape minun watched a dried flower be pulled from between the object's white innards. The human held out the flower as an offering and the minun tilted it's head quizzically. 'Flower?'

"I'll give you my flower," spoke the girl softly. "Would you like to bring some of your flowers?"

The minun perked up at the mention of it's flowers after snatching the dried lilac from the girl's fingers. It understood, she wanted to keep his flowers safe too! The minun looked around frantically, unable to decide what flowers to bring. In a flash it was running around picking up and tossing aside all the flowers in the vicinity in an effort to find the perfect flower.

"I promise, minun, that you can collect flowers on our journey together. Does that sound good?" asked the human girl.

Minun stopped as it gently carried a purple flower over to the human and placed it in her hand. "This one." This was to be the minun's last flower from it's home, and would be cherished forever. It was easy for anyone to tell that this flower meant a lot to the pokemon, and it was not lost on the human. She placed the flower in her book and closed it gently.

"Any more?" she asked. The minun shook it's head and instead offered the dried lilac back to it's owner. The human took the flower and placed it inside the book on a different page than the minun's flower. The human smiled at the minun and it smiled back. It was glad that she had seen the importance of the flowers.

"Hmmm," the girl looked the minun up and down then said, "You're a male minun..." The minun just tilted it's head. Why was she studying him so hard? "I'm going to call you Mysha! It means 'mouse' in my father's native language."

'Mysha...' the minun was curious as to why the human wanted to call him that, or anything at all for that matter. Although it wasn't a bad sounding word, and he supposed he could accept being called Mysha. So, with that the little pokemon nodded and decided that from now on he would be known as 'Mysha' the minun. "Okay, Mysha, I'm going to put you in your pokeball now. But I promise it won't be for long." The minun sighed and instead of running like he wished he could, he decided to stay with the nice human named Quinn. He let the red fog engulf him until once again, and much more peacfully, he was in the safety of his new home.

--------------------
Quinn Fox

Slug | Mysha | Nesti
| PM || Email |
^
jadedragonette
 Posted: Jul 7 2018, 10:10 PM
| Quote |

Expert Handler
Background Mods
Member No. 1874

Characters:

I love how you wrote this, and I adore your new Minun! I'm going to award Mysha +1 happiness bar for this - this brings him into the lower-neutral range of happiness, which seems fitting given the mood of what you've written here! Keep at it, and hope to read more of Mysha soon!

--------------------
Katheryn Knighton

Edith

Leslie Witcher-Steele

| PM || Email |
^
Shleby
 Posted: Jul 11 2018, 11:46 PM
| Quote |

Novice Handler
Members
Member No. 2391
Joined on 13-August 17.

Characters:
Quinn Fox

Goals and Context

All was blackness; nothing and empty. Not a light or sound to be found anywhere, not even a thought. It was as if time itself had stopped. There was nothing but a silent consciousness floating in the middle of nowhere. Then, from the nothing, ushered forth a bright red fog that ebbed and flowed. It rushed forward and grabbed the consciousness and pulled it into the light. Thoughts began to form in the tiny being as colors wafted around the boundless space surrounding it. Where am I? thought the tiny being as it felt itself exist in time and space once more. A familiar weight was felt pressed against it's center, held there by the tiny being's sheer force of will. A sense of comfort could be felt as it grasped the weight tighter. A feeling of familiarity made the being radiate happiness.

"Hhhhhhhhello little oneeeeeee..." echoed a voice from somewhere in the colorful clouds.

"H-hello?" the being sheepishly called out while searching the bright and vibrant space surrounding it. It's focus fell upon a large grey figure looming overhead. It didn't recognize the figure, never before had it seen this...thing, and it was uncertain of what to do. "S-s-stay back!" cried the tiny being as it backed away from the grey creature. The tiny being felt terror, which in turn caused the color in it's world to fade and shift to a tepid crimson.

"Iiiiiit'sssss okay, little komalaaaaa, I'm not here to hurt you" Boomed the large being as it leaned in closer, seemingly growing larger with every second. The komala could feel the creature's presence, but still didn't know who or what it was. He cringed and tried his best to protect the object cradled in his arms from whatever it was that might want his treasured item. This object was all he had that remained constant in his ever shifting world, and it was the only thing that provided him any comfort.

The large being moved part of itself toward the tiny being, something like an arm or a tentacle. It slithered it's way toward the komala, stopping just below the tiny being's nose. The komala, feeling trapped and unsure of itself, let it's instincts take over. It sniffed the mysterious creature tentatively and suddenly a wave of recognition washed over him. The clouds changed to a soft pink tone as the komala came to a realization. 'It's a human...' he thought. The large grey creature started to morph and change, getting slightly smaller and flickering between a handful of different humans. All of them were the humans that had been seen before by the komala, his only ideas of humans thus far. One moment, a man, the next a hunter, followed by a mysterious woman. He couldn't focus down any specific idea of a human with regards to this voice, and it troubled him.

"Who are you?" He questioned, still slightly afraid. The human shape continued to morph and change, never staying the same person for longer than a split second. None of the human specters had faces, as the komala had never seen a human face before, just their bodies as they wandered by his home without noticing him. But he knew their scent well, in fact, he'd had an owner once, but only knew them briefly. Was this...his new owner?

"Beeeeeeee calm, little one. I'mmmmmm your new partner. My name is Quinnnnnnnnn..." said the human with a soothing, echoing voice. The figure moved closer, putting it's ever changing face next to the komala's. The tiny being clasped on to his prized object reflexively in an effort to keep the human from taking it. "Soorrrrryyyyy..." the human pulled back a bit. "Iiiiiiiiii didn't mean to startle youuuuuuu." There was something....genuine and comforting about the voice; something that kept the little komala from fleeing. The image of the human started to get a sort of calming blue aura around it, and the faceless forms slowed a bit, morphing into a singular person.

The human creature had taken the form of a tall young woman, sturdy, with hard-worked hands and flaming red hair. But still there was no face, just a shadow. Faces were, to the komala, a window into a creature's soul. Only when he had truly bonded with someone did he ever see their true nature. But the fact that he was able to see this human's form so soon was astonishing. Clearly she had some sort of energy about her that made the komala feel at ease enough to fixate on her form. He relaxed a tad, causing the clouds to change once again into a plethora of brilliant colors. Komala let his grip relax and he even started humming, something he often does without thinking. He hummed a random tune, nothing in particular, just what felt right to him.

"Yyyyyyyooouuuu like music? Hmmmm..."

As the komala sat there, doing his best to grow more comfortable around his new owner, the human sat down next to him and started to hum along with him. This made him very happy, and when she started singing he was simply thrilled.

"Moon on the meadow, bugs in our ears
Smoke in our eyes, wet wood and tears
On up the meadow, water somewhere
We were the only ones there.

Wild horses rushing, dry lakes and peaks
Finding the love there, everyone seeks
Hiking to rainbows, sunsets, and stars
Just finding out who we are

We shall return here, one lucky day
Our hearts will guide us, they know the way
People in cities don't understand
Falling in love with the land

Moon on the meadow, bugs in our ears
Smoke in our eyes, wet wood and tears
On up the meadow, water somewhere
With you my friend, I am there."

As the girl sang, the colors of the world shifted and changed. They swirled and churned, filling the space with multicolored light that seemed to dance and sway to the beat. Komala found himself drumming along on his prized possession and humming along as best he could. Then when the human finished, she leaned over and pet the komala on the head. He felt her brush his hair back and tickle his ears, but somehow he wasn't afraid. Not this time. Instead he felt happy and warm feelings coming from him and the girl.

"Thank you for music." He chimed happily, all of his fears seemingly gone in that instant.

"Yyyyyyyou're my little music bearrrrrrr." the girl stated. "Ttthhhhaat's it! I'll call you Nesti,iiiiiiiittttt means bearrrrrr."

A title. The komala had never had a name before, and never really referred to itself as anything other than 'I' or 'me'. He spoke the name aloud "Nesti." The word seemed to hover in the form of a periwinkle cloud in front of the komala's mouth. He quite liked the color it made as he said it. "Nesti!!" he chimed happily as he looked over to the human, Quinn, with a smile across his lips.

"I am Nesti..."

--------------------
Quinn Fox

Slug | Mysha | Nesti
| PM || Email |
^
jadedragonette
 Posted: Jul 19 2018, 06:51 PM
| Quote |

Expert Handler
Background Mods
Member No. 1874

Characters:

This was a bit of an odd read, as expected, but I feel like you definitely got your idea across pretty well - the whole Komala-dream-world aspect is interesting to me, and I can't wait to read more! This seemed a bit short on the one hand, but exactly perfect for what you were trying to pull off on the other, so good on you! I think it was because I wanted to keep reading, tbh http://files.jcink.net/uploads/harperregion/sprites/emoticons/13.png

Now, for the good part. You've already gotten the name processed, so there's that - but I'm also going to award Nesti +1 happiness bar for what you've written here. This puts him firmly in neutral status - he's the equivalent of cautiously optimistic now, and happy to have a name!

--------------------
Katheryn Knighton

Edith

Leslie Witcher-Steele

| PM || Email |
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Development | Next Newest »

| Options | | Add Reply || New Topic || New Poll |

RNG & Word Counter

Scrolling Affiliates & Listings

PokéFiends Living the Dream: a Pokemon RPG Mutant Revolution Online BTM affiliates Pokemon: Forever Forgotten

CODE
Skin designed by Daniel of Outline. Gen 6 Pokemon sprites from Smogon. Gen 7 Pokemon sprites from smogon.