Harper Region is temporarily a private site! Registration is temporarily disabled due to big site updates and due to both admins' life schedules -- moving and degree completion and internships. :) If you need to set up a new account or really, really, really want to register, email Rosalie at orosaliearto@gmail.com with "Harper" in the subject line !

Welcome to Harper Region

Important Links

Staff

Character Count: 101
Ml: 48 - Fml: 51 - Oth: 2
OR - 14 | R - 17 | H - 47 | G - 23

Quick Updates

Weather Conditions

Season: Autumn

With the cooling season of Autumn, Ice-types are starting to re-emerge from their hibernation as Ghost-, Normal-, and Flying-types swarm in the largest numbers they will all year. In comparison, wild Fire- and Bug-type populations are falling in number. The migration of Flying-types to the south in search of warmer weather has also started, as Istin City starts to re-freeze and Autumn marks the beginning of Cypwater Point's rainy season. Handlers and Rogues alike should be wary: Ghost-type powers are boosted during this season, at the cost of being more prone to their triggers.

Sister Sites

Pokemon: Terrene

Click here to vote for us once a day!
Our Topsite:
Harper Region Topsite

• Show Box
  • Hide Box

| Add Reply || New Topic || New Poll |

Bad Teamwork?, How to write it between your own pokemon
Mindir
 Posted: Jan 4 2018, 05:33 PM
| Quote |

Expert Handler
Members
Total Posts: 765
Member No. 991
Joined on 19-May 13.

Characters:
Jonna Shipston, Brenda Shiell, Yngve Tessel

Awards: 5

As the titel says I have been thinking about it for a bit, and I'm not sure how to do this.
When I'm inside the head of all the pokemon and handlers and know what they'll do, I find it really hard to avoid them being good at working together.

I could probably let them get hit accidentally by friendly fire, but that seems a bit risky on this site http://files.jcink.net/uploads/harperregion/sprites/emoticons/7.png
Any ideas?

I have started to think about it, as Gry's litten is bad at working together with others, and I'm not sure how to write it.

--------------------
Brenda Shiell's
user posted image
Profil - - Travel
Pokemon

Yngve Tessel's
user posted image
Profil - - Travel
pokemon

Gry's
Profil - - Travel
pokemon

Retired

Tracker - - PCR
| PM |
^
W
 Posted: Jan 4 2018, 05:53 PM
| Quote |

Senior Handler
Background Mods
Total Posts: 188
Member No. 2309
Joined on 28-December 16.

Characters:
Aneirin "Nirin/Nye" Vaughan, ArkBoaz "Ark" Reuter

Awards: 2

Hi, Mindir!

I like the idea that not every team works in perfect harmony. You can definitely show the fact that Gry's litten isn't interested in working together by having it not listen to Gry, or purposely sit and not attack when in like, a doubles battle.

Likewise, you can show uncooperative personality by, perhaps, having them do their own thing in battle, or outside of battle. ie: if they're walking together, have the litten walk by itself, or be interested in things outside the scope of the field, etc. http://files.jcink.net/uploads/harperregion/sprites/emoticons/1.png

Just some tips!

--------------------
Aneirin "Nirin/Nye" Vaughan
profile | travels | dev | training

ArkBoaz "Ark" Reuter
profile | travels | dev | training

pcr | goals | team | tracker
| PM |
^
Mindir
 Posted: Jan 5 2018, 08:35 AM
| Quote |

Expert Handler
Members
Total Posts: 765
Member No. 991
Joined on 19-May 13.

Characters:
Jonna Shipston, Brenda Shiell, Yngve Tessel

Awards: 5

Well, it isn't because she doesn't want to work with the others, it's more that she isn't good at all that social stuff. She can't predict what the others are doing.
It's more that things are not working out as planned.

I know I'm making it harder for myself, hehe.

I have just begun to wonder that if you have new pokemon that doesn't know each other or the handler, then they shouldn't really know how to work together either. They technically don't know what the other can do, other than you as writer know it. I just find it hard to look past that and have them make mistakes.
They don't know what the other are doing yet, so how can they plan for it?
A sports team also need to learn how to work together, and communicate, so they can play with each other.

I think it is the same here, I just haven't thought that much about it before I got Embla who is supposed to be really bad at that, hehe.

I had hoped to hear what others are doing in this case, if anyone have played on it before.

--------------------
Brenda Shiell's
user posted image
Profil - - Travel
Pokemon

Yngve Tessel's
user posted image
Profil - - Travel
pokemon

Gry's
Profil - - Travel
pokemon

Retired

Tracker - - PCR
| PM |
^
Amakiir
 Posted: Jan 5 2018, 08:39 AM
| Quote |

Houseplant Diglett
Members
Total Posts: 226
Member No. 1667
Joined on 22-June 14.

Characters:
Denzil Heath / Gwyn Elijah

Awards: 2

Even the closet of teams can have moments of friction, and that little spark can lead to a great story. Let's not forget the ever popular misunderstanding scene, as well http://files.jcink.net/uploads/harperregion/sprites/emoticons/7.png

Mon 1 - Takes the time and effort to make themselves a snack, turns away for a second to grab the final piece.

Mon 2 - Sees snack on table, decides that they are hungry, and chomps it.

Mon 1 - ??? >(

Mon 2 - What? Was that yours?

Now you've got a feud on your hands http://files.jcink.net/uploads/harperregion/sprites/emoticons/12.png

--------------------
| PM || Email |
^
Saladin
 Posted: Jan 5 2018, 07:17 PM
| Quote |

The Sultan/Paladin of Salads
Background Mods
Total Posts: 543
Member No. 2008
Joined on 21-June 15.

Characters:
N/A

Awards: 3

I know that I should try harder on some chemistry stuff, but sometimes the heat of battle can make ones priorities shift straight http://files.jcink.net/uploads/harperregion/sprites/emoticons/13.png

It is true though, not every team meshes well. I've outlined issues with pokemon on some of my handlers, such as Hadrian for example. While the case was not so much of a case of doesn't work well with others, it was more like "detrimental and not very helpful in fights." Hadrian had that with his former Sentret (granted due to trauma from Bidoofs, DARN THOSE BIDOOFS) and while it did lead to her leaving his team (also partly OOC from me for wanting to make room and feeling like I couldn't give her as much attention as I wanted.)

Let's just say that having to deal with two panicked pokemon in the middle of battle can be VERY distracting http://files.jcink.net/uploads/harperregion/sprites/emoticons/13.png

For an example probably closer to what you're thinking, I could give a better one by referring to Hadrian's Gothorita, Brenna. IC-wise, she was not a very supportive teammate. Early on she was focused on taunting others, belittling them, refusing to help at times, and interfering in a way that often made others upset. One notable example was she interfered with a teammate's fight without being asked or told to, and in a rather spiteful manner during travels. Granted I did have it come to a head - in both Travels and in a rather lengthy dev post - and showed how she changed from being semi-detrimental to the team and into a more productive, better partner to have in a situation.

I do not think I can get more specifics at the top of my head, but I would be glad to find in Hadrian's travels and dev/other posts if you want to check them out for specific instances.

--------------------
Hadrian Treefeller

Leopold Prosper

Bain Njordsonar Cale

PCR

QUOTE BOX:

Carni: Nothing is impossible as long as there's enough BS to cushion it.nough BS to cushion it.[/b][/i]
| PM || Email || ICQ |
^
Seasle
 Posted: Jan 14 2018, 09:44 PM
| Quote |

Expert Handler
Background Mods
Total Posts: 854
Member No. 284
Joined on 28-April 12.

Characters:
Lev Rabuta, Lilith Fauve, Rook

Awards: 3

I know what you're talking about, Min, and it's something I need to work on myself. Having a pure psychic type can help with the confusion, but honestly every first few battles with more than one pokemon should be a mess. Mostly I've avoided the issue by having my pokemon fight other pokemon, so it's basically two one-on-one fights next to each other - they aren't specifically working together. If you want to see working together as a team done right, Johanna's team is wonderful. Done badly...I think she might have some training posts where things didn't work out? But I'm not sure.

I'll be trying it myself with Rook, I think, so thanks for bringing it up! Personality conflicts are cool, but so is just not understanding how to fight as a team.

Edit: Actually I've seen a few instances of this in the Rose Bowl, particularly when teams have rental members. Maybe you could look there?

--------------------
Lilith Fauve

| PM |
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Site Discussion | Next Newest »

| Options | | Add Reply || New Topic || New Poll |

RNG & Word Counter

Scrolling Affiliates & Listings
War Is Brewing
PokéFiends Living the Dream: a Pokemon RPG Mutant Revolution Online a resource community BTM affiliates Pokemon: Forever Forgotten Kaleidoscope deep in the meadow {warriors}

CODE
Skin designed by Daniel of Outline. Gen 6 Pokemon sprites from Smogon. Gen 7 Pokemon sprites from smogon.