Harper Region is temporarily a private site! Registration is temporarily disabled due to big site updates and due to both admins' life schedules -- moving and degree completion and internships. :) If you need to set up a new account or really, really, really want to register, email Rosalie at orosaliearto@gmail.com with "Harper" in the subject line !

Welcome to Harper Region

Important Links

Staff

Character Count: 101
Ml: 48 - Fml: 51 - Oth: 2
OR - 14 | R - 17 | H - 47 | G - 23

Quick Updates

Weather Conditions

Season: Autumn

With the cooling season of Autumn, Ice-types are starting to re-emerge from their hibernation as Ghost-, Normal-, and Flying-types swarm in the largest numbers they will all year. In comparison, wild Fire- and Bug-type populations are falling in number. The migration of Flying-types to the south in search of warmer weather has also started, as Istin City starts to re-freeze and Autumn marks the beginning of Cypwater Point's rainy season. Handlers and Rogues alike should be wary: Ghost-type powers are boosted during this season, at the cost of being more prone to their triggers.

Sister Sites

Pokemon: Terrene

Click here to vote for us once a day!
Our Topsite:
Harper Region Topsite

• Show Box
  • Hide Box

| Add Reply || New Topic || New Poll |

Joscelin Waters' Travels, Blue Bird
Adelulf
 Posted: Feb 13 2016, 06:53 PM
| Quote |

Tier 4 or Die Trying
Banned
Total Posts: 742
Member No. 1545
Joined on 8-April 14.

Characters:
Leodel "Leo" Degen, Rodric Steiner "Hatchet", Reva of Fough

Awards: 4

Welcome back to Harper! Super sorry for taking so long with this. Life tried to literally throw me in a ditch. You know the drill, enjoy!

Prologue

Fough Place held a chill so deep into winter, but its more southern, coastal location kept the worst of the bite from dominating. As such, most wore light jackets or thin furs, depending on their station in life. Examples of both could be seen throughout the city of course, as Fough was a city or trade first and foremost; with most of that trade being in iron works.

With that noted, metal works were in high demand in current times. Many still wished for pieces for their homes or personal collections, or arrow tips for hunting so they could better support their families, but now armed conflicts were a regular occurrence across Harper as the various powerful guilds either tore at each others throats, or tried to minimize the damage being reeked upon the population. Weapons of war and tools of defense were being forged at an immense rate from Harper's blacksmithing capitol. Many worked tirelessly, day in and day out to meet the demand, and those master's prominent enough to manage multiple apprentices, never let their forge cool but rather kept operations running all through the night.

The blacksmith quarter was packed, as many moved about to order or collect their goods. Tensions also rode high here, as folks supporting all the different factions were mingled together in order to sustain their common need. Although many arguments could be heard as one walked through the streets, none acted on the heightened emotions, knowing this was not a wise place in which to tussle. It would be wise for Joss to avoid these however, as one could never be sure when the fragile peace could shatter.

The blacksmith quarter was massive though and it was along its edges, where smaller forges resided, that he would come upon an area that could service and of his needs. The crowds were much smaller here, with only a few dozen people passing through the streets and far less tension. Various stands were set up here hawking fabrics, woven linen goods, food and a multitude of other products. There was also a shop on the right side of the street, Helen's Herbals, that clearly was a good source for potions and the like. Directly across was a building titled Ferron's Forge and Shoppe. From what Joss could see, there was no forge present, but the shop was on the street corner, and a thin trail of smoke was drifting up from around the bend.

As he watched, a woman would emerge from the shop door, tall by any standard and covered in soot. She spoke a few indecipherable words back over her shoulder and then made her way toward the main hub of the quarter. Should Joss decide this was a safer place to acquire the weapons and items he needed, he was free to enter.

The frequently present chingling hovering over the door was not present in this store, even though the goods were easily accessible to any thieves. The shop would be empty of any human customers, or even a clerk for that matter. Instead, there upon the counter sat a squirtle wearing a pair of pointed Dark Glasses upon his head. He stared at Joss with arms crossed, body still. Moving among the racks and shelves, Joss could even see an oshawott and dwebble carrying a piece of chest plate to its place on one side of the room.

A majority of the goods here consisted of weapons and armor, and even a few decorative pieces, but several pokeball types and pokemon care items were displayed for customers to browse. No potions however, as it seemed one would need to acquire those across the street. Should Joss venture past the shop threshold, the squirtle would bark something at the other two mon present before hopping off the table and waddling into a hallway in the back.

The oshawott would finish aiding his companion with the armor and wave Joss forward with warm smile, gesturing to the rest of the room in manner that clearly meant "please, have a look around". The dwebble would go about her own way, straightening racks of spears and other items she could reach or climb to. It would only be a few moments before the squirtle returned, leading a gentleman likely in his mid to late forties with a well trimmed, peppered beard, warm brown eyes, and soot stained face. He finished wiping a hand relatively clean upon a handkerchief before extending it to Joss.

"Greetings lad, I'm Benjamin Ferron, owner of this establishment. My apologies for the delay in service there, my daughter usually mans the shop for me when she's in town but she had to step out for a spell. What can I do for you? I have a wide selection of personal weapons, the highest of quality armors - both steel from my own shop and leathers or hide from partners in the city - or some standard pokemon supplies. I even just replenished my stock of traveler's gear if you are in need. Or perhaps there is a special order you would like to place? I can take those on as well, I just need to inform you that I'm already well loaded so I can't promise the most rapid of delivery. What do you require?"

--------------------
My Split Personalities
| PM |
^
Blue Bird
 Posted: Aug 23 2017, 07:46 AM
| Quote |

New Handler
Members
Total Posts: 14
Member No. 2174
Joined on 23-January 16.

Characters:
Little White Owl, Mary McKinley

Awards: None

Much time had passed, and it seemed to Joscelin that things were finally settling down. He had not completely settled in, but then, he didn’t think markets and forgeries and little stone houses could ever compare to the stillness of the woods, and he longed for those quiet nights, where the stars shone in the sky beyond counting. Still, he was grateful for the roof he woke up under each morning, and thankful that Juliana and the Fletcher were safe. Granted, there were still times that he feared capture, but his absol’s presence by his side helped him breathe easier. He’d done his best to keep his head low and his hands clean, and so far, it seemed to be working. As he left the house that morning, he turned on his heel, and waved at his daughter, who stood in the doorway. It was their custom, and Joscelin had grown used to it. But something different happened today, that had the poacher’s gut twisting with guilt. Forgetting what I told you already, my boy? Never look back.

The man whirled around, eyes wide and heart racing. But Symon wasn’t there. Hyssop tilted his muzzle up a little, gaze settling on Joscelin’s face. The man looked down at his companion, and shook his head a little. “It’s nothing, Hyssop, I’m fine.” And he rested a hand briefly on top of the absol’s head. Though the contact was only brief, it was deep and meaningful, and only the two of them could understand how much. Then, before Juliana started to worry, Joscelin continued on his way. As he navigated his way down the streets and alleys that he could walk with his eyes closed for how well he knew them, his fingers briefly brushed over the two occupied pokeballs on his belt. Nettle and Sequoia - recent acquisitions. He intended to spend more time with them soon, but for now…

The Fletcher wasn’t getting any younger, and Joscelin was growing restless. He’d been here too long, and desired little more than to take off into the wilds and not look back. But he couldn’t, not anymore. He had responsibilities. Pausing on a quiet corner, another memory rose unbidden from the confines of his memory. Selwyn. His heart twinged with mixed emotions as he wondered what had become of the woman he’d once considered settling down with. He’d recently gotten word that she had vanished and was nowhere to be found. He could only think the worst – that she had come to some sort of harm. He didn’t think about Symon, he couldn’t bring himself to even imagine that the man who was a father to him might have been killed.

“Alright, boy,” Joss murmured to the absol. “Keep an eye out for anything that might help us, or anything where we might be of help.” He’d linger a while, to see if anything caught his attention, before he’d move on. There were a number of spots he knew that often saw a fair bit of activity. It would be a lie to say that he wasn’t itching for some action, and though he had yet to acquaint himself properly with his two other companions, he was keen to let them stretch their legs a little, under appropriate circumstances and the watchful eye of Hyssop.

[Just some notes – Nettle is Joss's electrike and Sequoia is his flareon.
Also, I have moved Joscelin on/time-skipped as the scenario in the update above is no longer possible, and also much time has passed since then. So, essentially, we have a clean slate here =3]

--------------------
his heart is a forest, dark and deep
J O S C E L I N W A T E R S
profile & travels & training & development

user posted image user posted image user posted image

Evestalina Lennell
Little White Owl
| PM |
^
W
 Posted: Sep 11 2017, 04:09 AM
| Quote |

Senior Handler
Background Admins/Head Mods
Total Posts: 263
Member No. 2309
Joined on 28-December 16.

Characters:
Aneirin "Nirin/Nye" Vaughan, ArkBoaz "Ark" Reuter

Awards: 2

{ .7 exp - as a side note, i'm pretending your last post was more of a 'role play sample' hence why I gave you such a generic starter~! }
Fough Place was rather quiet for once, although that wasn’t any real surprise. Joss’ momentary pause would allow him to listen to the way the wind blew through valleys of homes and market, and gave him ample opportunity to feel, well, far from home. As much as he’d rather be at the mercy of the woods, the entire place here must’ve grown on him at least a little… right? Even so.

The pause also allowed several people of no specific type or look to glance at Joss, although it was more a momentary second than a lingering stare. Most people around were on their own way to their own things, for whatever reason. Then again, there were plenty of things to do around Fough Place, as long as one really took the time to look.

There were plenty of things for Joss, specifically to do. With the idea of letting his newly acquired Pokemon out to wander free, he could skip out on the side of town where the rocks started to slope ever so slightly upwards and maybe find a battle or two – or three, who knew – to do, while still being close enough to the city. Then again, he could also let them be and wander the town.

Should Joss head towards the job board – who was going to turn down the ability to get a job and some money here and there? – he’d find a rather interesting note tacked on that read simply:

Fire Type Needed for Important Blacksmith Job!

Maybe Joss could help with that? If he took it, it’d read the address of ‘the fourth stall on the left side by the church’ in which, if Joss went, would be a little rundown and old stall that seemed to have collected many years of dust.

Should Joss want to go outside and explore the sloped area, he’d find the following Pokemon around. He could try and catch them and then poach them off later – or he could just battle and see what his new friends could do.

http://files.jcink.net/uploads/harperregion/sprites/x_and_y/Scatterbug.png http://files.jcink.net/uploads/harperregion/sprites/e335251.gif
- climbing on things she shouldn't be on

http://files.jcink.net/uploads/harperregion/sprites/736_zpsdlu4nrlf.png http://files.jcink.net/uploads/harperregion/sprites/e335252.gif
- also climbing on things he shouldn't be on
- causing more discomfort w/ the people than scatterbug is

http://files.jcink.net/uploads/harperregion/sprites/316gulpin.png http://files.jcink.net/uploads/harperregion/sprites/e335252.gif
- floating around making weird 'piiiin~' noises

http://files.jcink.net/uploads/harperregion/sprites/16pidgey.png http://files.jcink.net/uploads/harperregion/sprites/e335251.gif
- eyeing the grubbin and scatterbug like they're her next meal

--------------------
Aneirin "Nirin/Nye" Vaughan
profile | travels | dev | training

ArkBoaz "Ark" Reuter
profile | travels | dev | training

pcr | goals | team | tracker
| PM |
^
Blue Bird
 Posted: Jul 10 2018, 09:53 PM
| Quote |

New Handler
Members
Total Posts: 14
Member No. 2174
Joined on 23-January 16.

Characters:
Little White Owl, Mary McKinley

Awards: None

The minutes passed, and Joscelin watched and waited, until his patience began to wear a little thin. Hyssop, settled in the mouth of a nearby empty alley, well out of sight kept vigil with his human companion, and it was the absol’s sense of calm that help Joss linger so long in so visible a place. After some time, he acknowledged that there was nothing forthcoming at the moment, and decided to be a little more proactive and look for a job himself. The job board held nothing of real interest, except one small note, expressing the need for a fire type. Joscelin pulled it free, taking care not to rip the piece of parchment. An important blacksmith job?

It sounded promising at least, and Joss scanned the address. It wasn’t a stall he was familiar with, which wasn’t a surprise, given the number of blacksmiths in the city, but he hoped another opportunity may present itself in due time. He was often looking for new contacts for the Fletcher, and given that he’d been considering resuming fletching arrows himself, it wouldn’t hurt to attempt to find new supplies of metal arrowheads. However, that was by-the-by, and he’d focus on whatever task they needed first.

Tucking the note into a pocket, he ran his fingers over the two occupied pokeballs on his belt. Sequoia, though still very young and excitable would have no trouble creating fire, or heat, or whatever other task a fire type was required to accomplish. But if not, perhaps Nettle would prove to be of use. Though he hadn’t confirmed her ability to produce fire in some form, during one of the brief times he’d spent with her, he’d noticed a tendril of smoke curling from her open jaws.

Joss meandered over to where Hyssop lurked in the shadows, and stood with him a moment, before crouching down beside his loyal companion and offering him a sweet treat. In the chaotic days following the conclusion of the worst of the Schism, many had kept out of the streets and avoided approaching strangers. It had been easier then, to move around relatively freely with an absol at his heels. He’d always preferred sticking to the quieter streets anyway, and it was only because of his rather extensive knowledge of the streets of Fough, as well as his natural instincts and eye for detail that he’d been able to get away with having his absol out in the open air. But things were settling down now, and it was getting harder to keep things as they were. Absols were feared by many, and aside from the worry he had for himself – being recognised or targeted because of his pokemon, Joscelin was afraid for Hyssop’s safety.

The once-poacher straightened and the pair regarded one another. With a slow blink, Hyssop himself turned his head to nose at the button of the empty pokeball at Joscelin’s belt, choosing to contain himself. As much as Hyssop’s constant presence was a comfort to him, it was safer for them both this way. He hated to do it though, considering the absol’s wild spirit and love of freedom, but they had come to an understanding. Joscelin would never lock him away against his will. The absol would never resist. He knew that Joscelin would let him roam the borders of Edgewood alone this night, if he so desired. And Joscelin did not doubt that if he were in trouble, Hyssop would protect him, even at risk to himself. It was this certainty that kept him calm as he weaved through the people in the streets, moving with purpose. If there was danger, he would free Hyssop, and they would face the enemy, and the consequences of an absol’s presence in the city, together.

In time, the rogue found the stall marked on the paper, and watched it for a moment, noting straight away how dusty it was, and the way it seemed to stand in disrepair. A flicker of caution was enough to give him pause, but after several moments of inner deliberation, he pushed past that, and stepped towards the entrance.

“Hello,” Joscelin called, peering into the small smithy, searching for any signs of occupancy. “I found the note left on the job board, and reckon my pokemon and me could help you out.” He’d linger on the threshold, but upon receiving an affirmative response, would step further into the stall, to meet whoever waited within. If there were to be anything suspicious or dangerous waiting, which Joscelin always half-expected, given the nature of his upbringing, he'd instinctively release Hyssop, and the others if necessary.

[Eevee Egg post 3 – received 2 egg counts from recently redeemed PCR]
Super candy given to Hyssop

--------------------
his heart is a forest, dark and deep
J O S C E L I N W A T E R S
profile & travels & training & development

user posted image user posted image user posted image

Evestalina Lennell
Little White Owl
| PM |
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Fough Place | Next Newest »

| Options | | Add Reply || New Topic || New Poll |

RNG & Word Counter

Scrolling Affiliates & Listings

PokéFiends Living the Dream: a Pokemon RPG Mutant Revolution Online BTM affiliates Pokemon: Forever Forgotten

CODE
Skin designed by Daniel of Outline. Gen 6 Pokemon sprites from Smogon. Gen 7 Pokemon sprites from smogon.