Important Links

Staff

Character Count: 101
Ml: 48 - Fml: 51 - Oth: 2
OR - 14 | R - 17 | H - 47 | G - 23

Quick Updates

Weather Conditions

Season: Autumn

With the cooling season of Autumn, Ice-types are starting to re-emerge from their hibernation as Ghost-, Normal-, and Flying-types swarm in the largest numbers they will all year. In comparison, wild Fire- and Bug-type populations are falling in number. The migration of Flying-types to the south in search of warmer weather has also started, as Istin City starts to re-freeze and Autumn marks the beginning of Cypwater Point's rainy season. Handlers and Rogues alike should be wary: Ghost-type powers are boosted during this season, at the cost of being more prone to their triggers.

Sister Sites

Pokemon: Terrene

Click here to vote for us once a day!
Our Topsite:
Harper Region Topsite

• Show Box
  • Hide Box

| Add Reply || New Topic || New Poll |

FAQ/New Member's Guide to the Harper Region
Rosalie
 Posted: Jul 25 2011, 11:22 AM
| Quote |

It's a box of spiders.
Admin
Total Posts: 2266
Member No. 1
Joined on 19-March 10.

Characters:
Branson Faust, Rohesia Clements

Awards: 1

We know that things on this site can seem a bit overwhelming, and we understand that, especially if you, Sir or Mistress New Member, are unaccustomed to this style of roleplaying, or even this genre. Because of this, we thought it would be a good idea to put together a guide of sorts to help you find your way around here.

Informational Topics & Before You Start
    Right off the bat, we'll be clear. This site is a site for humans only. There are no pokemorphs, no straight pokemon characters, etc. You may not play as a Venusaur, and you may not play as a Venusaur-girl hybrid. In addition, legendaries do not exist in the Harper Region except as legends.

Of course, you'll have to read the rules, but what about all of those other topics floating around? There are an awful lot of them!

To that, the first thing we would like to tell you is that we have so many in the interests of keeping things fair and to explain the mechanics of the more technical aspects of the site, as well as some region-specific details in depth. Please don't worry too much, though. Not all of those topics are going to be relevant to you right off the bat, if at all. This guide, you might notice, doesn't lead you to all of them. We didn't link you to the more cultural or flavor-text articles such as the religions or the Legend, but feel free to read them if you're interested!
If this guide isn't really your style and you're looking for information about the game rather than how to apply, after you read the setting notes and the rules, the best place to start is probably the game mechanics section, which explains how things happen in Harper. After that, you'll want to skim through some of the region specific stuff, which can affect how your character acts and fits into the game. You'd be well-placed then to see what kinds of topics are available for pokemon information (even if you don't need to read them in regards to your own pokemon yet). After that you can go ahead and see about how to apply or join (if you're a guestiefish browsing the site) in the site information and character information forums.

Starting out
First, you'll probably want to know about the region itself. Here are a few common questions and the topics that answer them.
  • What does the region look like, and what are the cities and routes like?
    Map & City/Route Descriptions, and Photographic Terrain References

• What do I need to know about the setting here?
    Setting Notes

• What's with the noctowl and roselia?
    Noctowl & Roselia

• Can I trade things with other players, or even NPCs?
    Trading

• What kind of stuff goes on here on the "dark side" if you don't have any 'Team Rocket'?
    Outside of the The Order, you could be involved in The Slave Trade, Poaching, or even work for The Mages' Guild. Rogues who aren't with the Order and don't want to be involved in any of those things can also do whatever they'd like.

• What about normal characters? What can they do?
    The character class for your normal fellow is the Handler class, and they're free to do essentially whatever they want. In addition to picking up random jobs in towns, they can be a part of Harper's Passion or take special jobs from the Bulletin Board.

• Do you have pokemon rangers here or officers or anything?
    Sort of! We have the Guard who are the region's primary peacekeepers and who act like knights for the Lords, Ladies and Councilpeople.

• Where are the current plots located?
    You can always find information about the current plot event in the Harper Tribune. There isn't always an active one, but they turn up every other month or so, so keep an eye on this forum and our quick-update Twitter feed in the welcome box!
Game and Pokemon-related Questions
Next, we've tried to head off some of the more common, pokémon- and game-related questions, which I've listed below for you, along with topics relating to the question.
  • How does my pokemon battle or level up? Can I train my pokemon without battles?
    We use a battle style like the anime rather than stiff turns like the video games, and yes you may train your pokemon beyond simply battling. Read more on pokemon growth through training, and battling here: Pokemon Experience.

• What about my character level? What's that all about?
    Character Levels & Experience

• How do pokemon evolve?
    Evolution happens similarly to the canon ways.

• What's all this nonsense about pokemon happiness? Is there a system for it?
    Indeed there is! Happiness has a few extra bonus effects here as well.

• How can I catch pokémon?
    Catching Pokémon

• How do/can I teach moves?
    Teaching Moves

• Can I store my pokémon/How many pokemon can I carry?
    You can keep the standard six with you at any one time, and Storing Pokémon is also possible.

• I see stuff about weapons and armor -- does that mean my character can fight people too?
    Absolutely! It's one of the ways to gain Character Experience and different weapons have different strengths

• How do I heal my pokémon here/Can I be a healer?
    Player characters are not allowed to have magic, so no, you may not be a healer.Pokémon Centers & Healing

• Can my pokémon breed/How do I get eggs?
    You can indeed breed your pokemon. Eggs & Breeding

• Where does pokémon [x] live?
    Pokémon Locations

• Can I ride my pokémon around?
    List of Steeds and Mounts

• What happens if a pokémon dies / where do ghost pokémon come from?
    Death & Ghost Pokémon

• Based on the ghost pokemon's powers, do psychics get anything special?
    Yep! Psychic Pokemon

• This site is realistic, so what happens if I have a water pokemon?
    Water Pokemon can survive fine on land, but they'll be a bit slow.

• What about pokemon like Ditto and Porygon? Isn't one sort of super powerful and the other breaking the setting? What about fossil pokemon?
    Pokemon like these can be read about in our Special Case Pokemon topics. Each one of these three topics covers a few different things:
    1, 2, 3
    They're broken up so that when you view the forum, the topic subtitles tell you what's in each topic. http://files.jcink.net/uploads/harperregion/sprites/emoticons/1.png

• Pokemon Abilities! Do you use them? How do they work?
    Pokemon Ability information is all set up there for you.
Phew! You got through that madness alright, did you? Awesome! Now, if you're still reading this, I assume you still want to know more about joining us, right? If you do, there are a few more things you'll want to have answered so you know what's up.

Applying to and Joining Harper
  • What's the general application process? How do I get my starting gold, and what does my character start off with?
    The Application Process can be found here, along with details on the device that serves as your pokedex.

• What are my starter pokemon choices?
    You get your Starter Choices after you post your application, and they're based on your character.

• Can I play with anyone other than the mod?
    Yes, now you can! We have both a Freeform Section and allow for Multi-Character Travels.

• How do I 'update' my own travels/How do I play here?

Updating

Think of it as though you're walking through a story. The moderator moves one foot, while you, the player, moves the other. There's very little reflection on what each person has written, where instead your main focus should be on furthering the story, because the moderator generally plays the role of the environment or the NPCs -- you wouldn't muse about the existence of the tree next to you before picking an apple, really. You certainly may reflect a little on what the moderator has set up for you, but it is just as important to give back to the moderator just as much as what they've given you. Don't leave each other hanging with fluffy posts or just repeating everything that the mod already said. Move the other foot! Keep it going!

• How many characters can I have?
    Currently just two, and a second only after you've played with your first for a while since more characters mean more work for the mods who update everyone. You can play as many as you like in the freeform section, however.

• How should I register?
    You can register under any name you want as long as it is appropriate. Because Jcink has sub-accounts, you should do account-per-character and link them to your main via your UCP. There will be a dropdown box at the bottom of the forum after you do so that allows you to switch between them effortlessly.

• What the heck is a promotion and where can I find them?
    Promotions are like giveaways. We use them to give our members a little thank you for playing with us and to keep things fresh. They usually will occur around major holidays or milestones on the site and can be anything! You can find them in the Promotions Subforum under Announcements. They'll always be announced on our Twitter feed in the welcome box too, so don't miss out!

• Where can I find information on the pokemon -- movesets and pokedex entries and so on?
    Serebii, Bulbapedia, and Veekun are all great sources of information.

• I am ready to play!! Where's the application?
    Right here!

--------------------

user posted image-- user posted image --user posted image
Branson - - + - - Rohesia
« Pr & Tr » - - * * * - - « Pr & Tr »

(Sprites by Mackay)
Post Count Rewards
Old Characters: Tobias Middleton & Travels, Gineva Winstret & Travels

| PM || Email |
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Rules & Information | Next Newest »

| Options | | Add Reply || New Topic || New Poll |

RNG & Word Counter

Scrolling Affiliates & Listings
War Is Brewing
PokéFiends Living the Dream: a Pokemon RPG Mutant Revolution Online a resource community BTM affiliates Pokemon: Forever Forgotten Kaleidoscope deep in the meadow {warriors}

CODE
Skin designed by Daniel of Outline. Gen 6 Pokemon sprites from Smogon. Gen 7 Pokemon sprites from smogon.