Harper Region is temporarily a private site! Registration is temporarily disabled due to big site updates and due to both admins' life schedules -- moving and degree completion and internships. :) If you need to set up a new account or really, really, really want to register, email Rosalie at orosaliearto@gmail.com with "Harper" in the subject line !

Welcome to Harper Region

Important Links

Staff

Character Count: 101
Ml: 48 - Fml: 51 - Oth: 2
OR - 14 | R - 17 | H - 47 | G - 23

Quick Updates

Weather Conditions

Season: Autumn

With the cooling season of Autumn, Ice-types are starting to re-emerge from their hibernation as Ghost-, Normal-, and Flying-types swarm in the largest numbers they will all year. In comparison, wild Fire- and Bug-type populations are falling in number. The migration of Flying-types to the south in search of warmer weather has also started, as Istin City starts to re-freeze and Autumn marks the beginning of Cypwater Point's rainy season. Handlers and Rogues alike should be wary: Ghost-type powers are boosted during this season, at the cost of being more prone to their triggers.

Sister Sites

Pokemon: Terrene

Click here to vote for us once a day!
Our Topsite:
Harper Region Topsite

• Show Box
  • Hide Box

| Add Reply || New Topic || New Poll |

Darkness Doesn't Talk, Nye Vaughan's Dev Thread!
W
 Posted: Jan 9 2017, 09:40 PM
| Quote |

Senior Handler
Background Admins/Head Mods
Total Posts: 263
Member No. 2309
Joined on 28-December 16.

Characters:
Aneirin "Nirin/Nye" Vaughan, ArkBoaz "Ark" Reuter

Awards: 2

Goals:
---> establish authentic pre-start background between Nye and Duskull
---> establish authentic Nye/father-figure background for future reference
---> establish the start of some motives behind Duskull's personality with Nye
---> minor goal: maybe some friendship/happiness between Nye and Duskull

Seven Years Ago

"AH!"

Nye shuffled out of the mat and hay that he considered his bed, his body moving quick against the dirt floor underneath. His heart hammered in his chest like a hammer trying to break a chest. In front of him, hovering over his head, was a red light that seemed to bounce in place. A quiet, "Dus-dus-dusk" could be heard before the light faded. It came back, closer, and Nye couldn't help but push himself back again. This kept going until the nine year old's back hit the wall, and footsteps could be heard beyond the corridor and down twenty steps.

"Nye? What's the matter, buddy?"

A hankering man of his late forties appeared in the doorway, a candle lit in his hands. It was in a small silver plate that would stop the wax from dripping on his hands or fingers, and the man looked down at Nye. The nine year old couldn't help but look up at his dad with panic written on his face. He pushed himself up and stumbled the distance towards his dad.

"T-There's something h-here, Papa." Nye murmured. His fingers dug tight into the leather of his father's shirt, so much his knuckles turned white. The candle flickered in the dimness of Nye's small bedroom, and his father's eyes danced through the darkness, too, looking for the sign of what may have gone wrong.

Cadell Vaughan, Nye's father, was a burly man. He had strong shoulders and hefty arms that worked wonders when they fought on a training level. Because of his handler history, the man was rugged with a dark beard and equally darkened skin from being outside. His hair was peppered with grey and white, the obvious signs of his almost half-century age. He was proud his son looked so similar to him, so well adjusted. Cadell was sure, if anything, Nye would grow up to be a strong, healthy young man who could do whatever he wished in the world.

"Nye, I don't see anything," Cadell stated. He moved, taking a rather large step into the bedroom more. He swung his arm around in a half-circle in front of him, lighting up different parts of the room. Nye kept close to his father, tucked half behind him and half to the side. His fingers, though, didn't let up in the warm leather his father had decided to sleep in.

"No, there's something here! Papa, just listen!"

The two of them fell silent, save for their breathing and the occasional sniffle from Nye. From behind them, a quiet, "Duuuuskuuuulll~" resonated through the bedroom, and Nye practically (okay, more or less metaphorically) jumped twelve feet in the air. As the two Vaughan males turned, the red light bounced in a straight line before it disappeared. Tears welled up, yet again, in Nye's eyes.

"Ah, no, no. No crying, Nye," Cadell turned to face his son. He knew the exact reasoning behind his son's nerves, and especially behind the strange happenings in his bedroom. "There's nothing to be afraid of, Nye. That's a Duskull. They like to make children scream. It's what makes them the most happiest. So if you let it scare you, you'll be allowing it to live longer. Ghost Pokemon, after all, don't eat like other Pokemon do."

"T-They don't?" Nye sniffled. His eyes danced nervously to the spot they last saw the Duskull, afraid of it without much of a second thought. Somewhere inside of him, he felt it was rather obnoxious and silly for him to be so afraid. His father wasn't afraid.

Even so, Cadell shook his head and tipped Nye's head upwards by the chin. Rough fingers played against the softness of his nine year old son's cheeks as he wiped away the tears. "Nope, they don't," he started softly, "they use energies of people to eat. So the Duskull just wants to make you be afraid because it's his way of playing and eating."

Sure, it sounded scary, but Nye couldn't help but turn his attention from his father's rugged face to where the Duskull was. It wasn't quite as invisible as it was, but it was happily floating about the candle, as if it was interested in the flickering of the flame. Actually, that's exactly what the Duskull was. He floated aimlessly around it before he flickered and disappeared again, as if he felt Nye's curious eyes on him.

"How about you try and sleep again, and I'll take care of the Duskull?" Cadell suggested. He picked up Nye without much effort and carried him the two large steps it took from the middle of the room to the mat before he set Nye down. He let his son wiggle until the nine year old got comfortable. The Duskull's eye bounced into view again, although it was no longer interested in Nye and disappeared out of the opening into the corridor. Where it was going, Nye didn't see.

Soon enough, though, Nye had dozed off, and settled into a comfortable sleep. Cadell had left the room to deal with the Duskull.

"Dus-Dus-Dusk~"

It was like a chiding laugh that circled Nye's head. As they Nye walked, the Duskull had happily fluttered around his head. He was invisible, and while the new Handler didn't mind, it had reminded him of an old memory from years and years ago. He wasn't sure what had necessarily reminded him of it -- maybe the personality of the Duskull, or maybe it was just this -- the walking that had reminded him of it.

"You know," Nye exasperated, annoyed at the Pokemon who hovered. Duskull faded briefly into view before he disappeared again, proud of himself for being so annoying, "I really wish you wouldn't be so mean all the time. I know you just like playing, but it's annoying."

It wasn't going to be the first time Nye said that, nor would it be the first. All the Duskull could respond to was with a simple "Dus-Dusk~"

--------------------
Aneirin "Nirin/Nye" Vaughan
profile | travels | dev | training

ArkBoaz "Ark" Reuter

pcr | goals | team | tracker
| PM |
^
Korosensei
 Posted: Jan 13 2017, 09:02 PM
| Quote |

Stupidface McNoctowl
Background Mods
Total Posts: 1614
Member No. 1923
Joined on 24-February 15.

Characters:
Alexander Fitzgerald | Emilie Chartoire

Awards: 5

I really enjoyed this look into Nye’s past, and the way you’ve written his father. I also like the way his duskull has been part of his life for a long time. It’s an unusual origin for a Harper starter, but I think you’ve played it well here, and I like the way Nye has gotten used to the duskull over time to the point that he is exasperated by but not frightened of the ghost-type.

I would say that you definitely succeeded in your goal of giving the pair a background, and I like the way you gave the duskull a good motivation to be the way he is - if he gets that kind of reaction out of Nye, it makes perfect sense for a ghost to act in that way. I’m having trouble seeing any bonding between the pair, however - most of the thread is an interaction from the past where Nye is terrified of the duskull and it’s ultimately his father who “takes care of” the ghost-type, and while the little part at the end is cute, I don’t think it justifies a happiness bar since it shows how their relationship is, not any sort of development. I get this was a side goal for the post, but I wanted to offer you my opinion in case you’re looking to write future dev threads.

I’d be curious to see how Nye got over his fear of the duskull, what his father thought of that, how the duskull changed its tactics from being scary to being annoying, and of course, how the pair of them grow closer on their journey together. It’s the start of a good relationship, and I’d be interested to see more. In other words, just because I didn’t give any happiness bars this time doesn’t mean the post is bad, it’s just not quite the kind of thing that would get bars. I hope to see more from you soon, though! http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz241/HarperRegion/Sprites/Emoticons/1.png

--------------------

user posted image

Past Characters

Korosensei's Post Count Rewards
Caledonia picture by August! Alexander and Casper sprites by Mackay!
| PM || Email || ICQ |
^
W
 Posted: Jan 24 2017, 10:16 AM
| Quote |

Senior Handler
Member No. 2309

Characters:

Goals:
---> continue to strengthen the Duskull/Baby!Nye backstory
---> continue to expand and shape Duskull's personality
---> take a brief look into how Nye learns to deal with the pest
---> MINOR: establish friendship/happiness between nye/duskull
(as a note: i'm putting it as minor because what I wrote doesn't feel like it really does that justice, but it's really up to the reviewing mod!)

Seven Years Ago; 4 days after previous Dev Post

"Dus-Dus-Dusk~"

Nye’s eyes danced over the candle that flickered yet again for what seemed the hundredth time. His father had gone out of the house and off into town, and that left the nine year old with the silly Duskull that ceased to stop haunting the house. Nye wasn’t even sure why the Pokemon kept coming around, or why his dad didn’t "take care of it" like he had said previously. It was one of those things that truly baffled the young boy.

"Can you stop it?" the boy asked, rather annoyed. While the sun wasn’t quite passed the horizon, it was dark enough that the singular candle in Nye’s room left enough light for the boy to do things. He was looking at a map of the region, tracing along lines that his father had pointed from Marchton City to the next, and the terrain. He didn’t understand the terrain bit, but he at least knew the map route. The candle, though, was his main source of light. The Duskull had other ideas.

"Dus-Dus-Dusk~"

That cackle of the ghost Pokemon swept through the room before the candle went out completely. Nye’s head shot up as he looked towards where the candle was. The wick burned in an amber red as grey smoke could faintly be seen rising up into the air of the bedroom. Duskull was nowhere to be seen, either, and Nye’s eyes narrowed. "Really?" the boy huffed as he stood up. The room was dark enough that he stumbled through the small space towards the small table that held the candle, but it was still bright enough that he could see dim outlines of the fire starting set near the candle.

He glanced around and caught the bouncing red eye of the Duskull, and a shiver ran up (or down) Nye’s back. Goosebumps developed on his arms and he couldn’t help but rub his hands over the exposed skin to warm them up, "You’re so creepy," he complained, but all he got was that eerily creepy response:

"Dus-Dus-Dusk~"

Clearly, the Duskull was having more fun torturing the boy than trying to be nice. Nye shook his head and lit the candle again. The flood of warm orange and yellow into the room with pale light made Nye feel at least a little better. The Duskull was having none of it, though.

Within moments of the candle being relit, the Duskull had it blown out again. The warmth of the light had flickered, and Nye’s eyebrows creased angrily as he tried to settle his nerves, and his anger. Nope, it wasn’t worth it. "Fine," he exasperated, "you win, you stupid Pokemon." He didn’t really think the Duskull was stupid; playful, maybe, and definitely annoying, but the boy wouldn’t let him get under his skin. Instead, Nye shook his head and stepped out of his room, the map ignored.

He could feel the chilly air of the playful and annoying Duskull following him, close enough that he could hear the faint "Dus-Dusk~" coming from the Pokemon. That shiver ran up and down Nye’s spine again as the nine year old stepped into their living area. A fire burned its embers that kept it warm, and Nye glanced over to where the invisible Pokemon should’ve been.

"Since you’re being so annoying, why don’t you… do something interesting?" the boy asked. He moved the last few steps and took a seat in front of the embers. He poked it with a stick, and the embers sizzled, starting up a bit of a fire. His father had every confidence that Nye wasn’t going to burn down the house. The eerie red eye of the Duskull appeared, but then the ghost Pokemon seemed to materialize and for once, the nine year old got his first good look at Duskull.

In all honesty, Nye was a touch creeped out when he saw the full form of the ghost. Painted with white and shimmering black, the Duskull’s only real color was the red eye that bounced between the two sockets of the skull on its… face? Was that even something Nye could call it? On the underside of the pokemon, it swayed as if being blown by some invisible wind, and as Nye studied the Duskull, it seemed to do a bit of a twirl. Its eye bounced around the room, looking for something. Nye couldn’t understand what it was looking for.

"Dus-Dus-Dusk~"

The Duskull faded and then reappeared maybe ten feet from where it previously was, although this time it hovered over glinting pewter silverware that Nye and his father had used for dinner that night. Nye’s eyes narrowed a bit and watched as the Duskull moved about, looking at this and that, but never hanging around for too long. With one disappearance, the Duskull reappeared out of Nye’s sight (okay, it was behind him) and ran one of its wispy hands (could they be considered hands) down Nye’s neck.

The boy squealed, and he was up on his feet within a heartbeat’s thump. Those goose bumps came back, and as he spun on his heel, all he saw was the fading red of Duskull’s eye, and the warm response of:

"Dus-Dus-Dusk~"

--------------------

ArkBoaz "Ark" Reuter

| PM |
^
Korosensei
 Posted: Jan 27 2017, 06:43 PM
| Quote |

Stupidface McNoctowl
Background Mods
Total Posts: 1614
Member No. 1923
Joined on 24-February 15.

Characters:
Alexander Fitzgerald | Emilie Chartoire

Awards: 5

This dev is a definite improvement from the last, both in depth and in the way it gave me an understanding of the duskull as more than a plot catalyst. Duskull definitely has a bigger personality here and I really like the way he’s interacting with Nye. We have a lot of ghosts around here who have very sad and dismal stories and personalities, so it’s refreshing to see Duskull trying to come up with different ways to entertain itself while also scaring Nye. I’m also interested in why Duskull wanted to look at certain objects and things; this could be a good way to segue into why this particular pokemon is so interested in haunting Nye’s house for extended periods of time.

Shaping Duskull’s personality was definitely the strength of the thread, and it made me wonder several things. Between the last thread and this one, I’ve seen Nye, as a child, be afraid of the ghost-type, and then annoyed. I’m wondering how this turned into Nye asking Duskull to come along with him on a journey, considering most people wouldn’t deliberately invite a pokemon who has caused them trouble in the past. What about Duskull makes Nye change his mind? Does Nye change his mind on his own, or does Duskull have a say in it? Or does Nye simply bring Duskull along for nostalgia, something the ghost likely understands due to its own past?

I agree with you that this isn’t really a happiness-bar kind of thread, but I can add a personality note of Capricious and persistent to Duskull because of how he’s been staying in the house for so long and will presumably stay until Nye’s journey begins, and he is also very determined to use increasingly creative pranks on Nye to get a reaction out of him.

Which makes me come to the last thing I wanted to mention - Nye seems very subdued and depressed after his father’s death, in the roleplay sample especially. This seems like a big personality contrast with Duskull, but Duskull has seen death as well… I’d be curious to see how this dichotomy plays out as Nye, who is young and likely still processing his father’s death, interacts with a ghost.

I’m definitely looking forward to seeing more from this pair!

--------------------

user posted image

Past Characters

Korosensei's Post Count Rewards
Caledonia picture by August! Alexander and Casper sprites by Mackay!
| PM || Email || ICQ |
^
W
 Posted: Mar 24 2017, 09:59 AM
| Quote |

Senior Handler
Member No. 2309

Characters:

Goals:
--> highlight the perspective personality of Houndour
--> Minor: strengthen, at least partially, the trust / friendship between Nye and Houndour

For once, Duskull wasn't Nye's main focus. At least, for the time being, the Ghost Pokemon was tucked away in his Pokeball, and Nye's attention was, well, elsewhere. He idly rolled the second filled Pokeball between his fingers. Should he…? He didn't know. He wanted to bond with all of his Pokemon. He wanted the Houndour that he caught to know that she was wanted just as much as the Duskull was. How funny was it that both his Pokemon were Pokemon that he didn't necessarily come to with on good terms. Duskull was a pest for the last eight years, and Houndour didn't seem like she wanted anything to do with him besides use him for food. He didn't know what to do, but he wasn't willing to just sit back and let this all happen without his say in the matter.

After another five minutes, he finally tossed the Pokeball and in a red flash, the Houndour was free. She shook out her dark, mangy fur and her dark eyes studied Nye for a minute. It was literally just a minute, because she was quickly uninterested. She turned her attention to viewing the surroundings; they were out in the woods, surrounded by the sounds of almost nocturnal animals. Her ears twitched as she strained to listen to all the possible situations that could arise. After living on the streets for so long, she felt like this was nothing.

Nye's eyes trailed over her fur, but she didn't give him a second glance. Not until, at least, he crouched down and started to talk. "Hey, Houndour. We're going to work hard together, okay? I'll make sure you're not hungry and –"

He didn't get to finish. He watched as the Houndour's head twisted towards him at the mention of what could be about food, and she snapped her sharp, white teeth at him. He blinked, but didn't act afraid. Why was this human not afraid of her? He studied her for a long moment, and it felt like it took forever for him to pull out what looked like fresh meat from his pack. Her eyes narrowed. He looked at the food, to her, and then offered it out. She didn't move. Why would she eat out of a human's hand? No.

She sat. He stared. They had a contest. Nye gave a frustrated sigh but stood up, and ripped a piece of the food off and tossed it at her. She caught it effortlessly, and then returned to her sitting position. He watched. She stared. They had another long break before Nye finally spoke, "I'm not giving you more. I want to but –"

Houndour bared her teeth, almost threatening again. He still wasn't afraid. It made her curious as to why he wasn't afraid of her. Her eyes traveled from the food to him, and then to the food again. He crouched a bit farther away and her head tilted, "Will you come closer?" he questioned. She stayed for a minute before she tilted her head up and away. No. She wasn't going to listen. He shuffled – she could hear him shuffle. Her stomach rumbled. She just had to play this game long enough to get her way.

He asked the question again. She looked at him out of the corner of her eye. He was closer, but still not entirely close. Yet, as much as he wanted, she didn't move. He gave a frustrated look, and rubbed at his face. She was going to win. She was determined to.

"Okay. We can try this again after," Nye conceded, a touch of irritation lingering in his voice. He moved as close as he knew she'd let him get before he put the meat on the ground. He didn't retreat like she wanted him to, but she wanted the food more. She stood and stepped the five or six lengths to get it, snatched it up quick, and took another few steps back. There was definitely not as much distance between them now.

"I really hope you can understand that I just want to help you," the handler said. Houndour's eyes twinkled as she pulled apart the meat and happily ate it. In between bites, she happily responded towards Nye's comment.

"Hou-Hound~"

--------------------

ArkBoaz "Ark" Reuter

| PM |
^
Astraea
 Posted: Apr 1 2017, 06:46 PM
| Quote |

张开双手 变成翅膀
Background Mods
Total Posts: 185
Member No. 2280
Joined on 12-August 16.

Characters:
Adrian Carlisle, Silas Arington, Elena Ayton (Retired)

Awards: None

This was a very short and sweet dev! I really liked the Houndour's personality and how eager she is to grab at food - definitely fits the background. I think she's starting to trust Nye a little more (at least, not seeing him as an enemy) but not enough to warrant a gain in happiness, unfortunately. I will add the note Opening up to Nye., however. Their partnership seems to be well in the works and I look forward to seeing if he can gain her trust!

--------------------
Adrian James Carlisle | Freelance Rogue
Profile | Travels | Training | Development | PCR
Thread Tracker | Goals | Dream Team
user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image
user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image

Silas Arington | Ex-Assassin Guardian
Profile | Travels | Training | Development
user posted image

Elena Ayton | Retired Handler
Profile | Travels | Training | PCR | Dream Team

user posted image user posted image user posted image
| PM |
^
W
 Posted: Apr 5 2017, 09:37 PM
| Quote |

Senior Handler
Member No. 2309

Characters:

Goals:
• Highlight the relationship between Nye and Cadell Vaughan
• Highlight the relationship between Nye and Duskull
• Establish background history between Nye and Duskull
• Establish clear cut history of Duskull / why he trusts Nye / etc
• Happiness gain / trust boost of the partners

Seven Years Ago; a day after this dev post

Duskull’s boredom was growing, and the little ghost Pokemon was becoming insatiable. Living in this house with the straw mat beds and the two men was interesting, but so boring. To the ghost, there were only so many times he could extinguish the flame on a candle to the little boy before it got boring. And so it did. Tonight, as the moon seemed to hover high above the roof of the home he took up residence in, he floated around the main living room happily. Occasionally, he knew he bothered the old man, but the heavy set body never stirred from his place in front of the crackling fire, and so Duskull continued on his way.

The house was rather warm for the pokemon, although he didn’t mind it. He found himself attracted quite often to metal ware that sparkled in the light of the fire. The warm hues of red, yellow and oranges making everything seem like it was the middle of the day. Duskull liked the darkness, but he also liked the way the fire illuminated things. There were shadows in places that shadows didn’t appear in, and even though sometimes his tail glimmered in the light, the old man had basically ceased his attempts at catching him. He was a happy camper at his new home.

The moon traveled a bit more. Duskull’s eye found itself watching the fire sometimes. It wasn’t as big as it was maybe an hour ago, and the man still sat unchanging in the same spot. His shoulders were hunched. It made Duskull hover in front of the bruised and tarnished face. It didn’t look anything like the boy’s face, not at all, but Duskull didn’t care. He tilted his head slightly as the man’s head rose – previously, he sat slumped with his chin on his chest, and the prickly graying hairs of his beard rubbing against the leather of his shirt. He didn’t pick his head up in response to Duskull being in front of him, though; no, it was a totally different reason.

There was someone at the door. Duskull had failed to hear the knock, probably because he was far too distracted with the tired and defeated eyes of the man. Instead, Cadell stood up and lumbered towards the door, the ghost disappeared more into the shadows. He hovered curiosity above the heads of the man and the new figure who appeared out in front of the house, and attempted to stay focus enough that he could hear everything that was going on. The man he knew so well – the boy’s father – stepped back, and the other figure stepped in. he stayed cloaked in his darkness, as if he knew that Duskull was watching.

“You owe us something, Vaughan. We’re not going to wait much longer for it.”

The figure sounded less than pleased with his deep, almost melodious voice. Duskull’s eyes bounced between its sockets out of amusement as the other man – Vaughan something – gave a rather heavy breathed sigh. His shoulders slumped and his head dropped, as if he was a child in trouble. It was definitely a scene that Duskull didn’t understand.

“You need to leave. I’ve informed you that I don’t want you at my house. My son is –"

Mr. Vaughan didn’t get to finish. In a flash, the other figure had stepped close to Cadell and his voice dipped into a deep threat. Duskull floated closer to the figures to hear what was being said, “Unfortunately for you, we don’t care at all. We want our payment. It’s the money, your son, or your other ear, Vaughan. Pay up, or you’ll suffer.”

The man moved about and stepped outside. Cadell stood there stunned; how would he fix this? Duskull hovered closer, almost touching the man. It was enough that shivers ran down his spine and he unconsciously swatted at the ghost Pokemon. Duskull chimed in happily before Cadell shut the door and stepped away. He disappeared into the room his son was in, but Duskull didn’t feel like following. He was too interested in slipping through the door to see if he could find the shadowy man.

He couldn’t. He was already gone. Once Duskull decided to return inside, Cadell was already tucked into his own straw mat bed, and the ghost was left to his own devices.

It was two days later that Duskull realized something was wrong. Cadell had sat Nye down in front of their fire, a bowl of food in each of their laps. Cadell was speaking already when Duskull finally appeared, and his eye bounced eagerly between the sockets of his skull. There was always a good time ahead when the boy was awake and active. It was his favorite time of the day.

But the mood was somber, and even the death-related Pokemon could feel it, “So, I have to go on a little trip for a while, Nye. I’ll be back as soon as I can, okay? I can’t take you with me, so my friend from town – the man you work with for your training – will come by every day to check on you. He’ll come and help make food, and will stay with you.”

“I don’t understand why you have to go though. Why can’t I come with you?” the nine year old pressed. Duskull hovered close enough to see the brows of the little boy creased, and the frustration behind his eyes. He wanted to comfort, to secure. He knew the secrets the other man held, and didn’t want the boy to be hurt by them. He hovered closely over Nye’s shoulder as he listened, waiting for the answer just like the nine year old was.

“Listen, Nye. I don’t want to leave. I know you don’t like it when I go – it’ll just be a week, at the longest. Then I’ll be home, and we’ll go on our own miniature adventure, okay? Just… just trust me on this one, kiddo.” Cadell attempted, but Nye wasn’t listening. Well, he was, but it didn’t seem like he believed him at all. Cadell finished his meal and stood up. His lanky body moved to wash off his dishes with their spare water, and then put them away. He shrugged on his weapon, his belt, and before Nye could even say anything, the lumbering man was already out of the door.

It left the house in an awkwardly somber and depressed mood, and Duskull didn’t enjoy it. He moved from hovering over Nye’s shoulder to hovering in front of him. Silently, the nine year old finished his meal and then sat there for almost two hours, just staring into the bottom of the empty pewter bowl. Duskull, unconsciously, let himself appear, although this time it wasn’t to scare, but to comfort. “Dus-Dus-Dusk…?”

As if understanding what Duskull said, Nye’s head tilted upwards to stare at the ghost. They had a quiet stale mate related staring contest for a while before Nye finally rose to his feet and brushed off the sadness, “He does this all the time. Leave, I mean. I shouldn’t be so upset by it. He keeps the house still, and the man who trains me and helps keep me healthy while he is gone isn’t that bad of a man,” he tried to explain. Nye felt stupidly silly trying to explain his emotions to this Pokemon, who seemed only interested in ruining his life. He squared his shoulders and went about his business for a long moment.

But the ghost was having none of it. He flitted over to Nye and settled himself close to the boy before… well, before he did something he never figured he’d do. He reached out one of his ghosty and wispy ‘arms’ and tried to tap Nye on the shoulder, as if saying ‘hey, it’s okay, I’m here with you.’ Nye stared at him. Duskull stared back. Nye opened his mouth, but Duskull was quicker.

The room’s atmosphere went from sad and lonely to awkward and unsure. Duskull chimed in happily with his usual clatter and then, suddenly, moved to disappear. Without any sounds, he reappeared so closer to Nye’s face he could literally feel the breath of the little boy catch in his throat. “Dus-Dus-Dusk~” he sang happily. Nye gave a groan of disbelieve and rolled his eyes.

“You know, for a moment there I thought you actually cared.”

But Duskull did care. He cared a lot for this boy. He was fun to scare, but something about him made Duskull want to keep close to him. He didn’t know why, but he wanted to find out. “Dus-Duskull~”

--------------------

ArkBoaz "Ark" Reuter

| PM |
^
Astraea
 Posted: Apr 11 2017, 05:10 PM
| Quote |

张开双手 变成翅膀
Background Mods
Total Posts: 185
Member No. 2280
Joined on 12-August 16.

Characters:
Adrian Carlisle, Silas Arington, Elena Ayton (Retired)

Awards: None

I have to say that I really like this dev, perhaps even more than the others you've written. It really aligns with your goals and gives a deeper look at the relationships between Nye, his father, and the Duskull. Your writing is really nice as well - I enjoyed your tone throughout the entire thing.

Unfortunately, there's not much I can give you. Although this was really well-written, I don't think it warrants any happiness bars. The Duskull definitely finds the family intriguing, and I'll add a note that he Cares about and is intrigued by Nye. This was really enjoyable to read!

--------------------
Adrian James Carlisle | Freelance Rogue
Profile | Travels | Training | Development | PCR
user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image
user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image

Silas Arington | Ex-Assassin Guardian
Profile | Travels | Training | Development
user posted image

Elena Ayton | Retired Handler
Profile | Travels | Training | PCR | Dream Team

user posted image user posted image user posted image
| PM |
^
W
 Posted: Dec 2 2017, 10:56 AM
| Quote |

Senior Handler
Member No. 2309

Characters:

Goals:
• establish ownership (officially) over Kai the Sandygast
• bond with the Sandygast
• change Kai's name to Kay
• attempt to create a bond between Kay/Kai and Bedwyr

Nye squinted at how much sand there was, sprinkled along the floor. The boy, being bred of an adventurer who lived practically on the shore, had never seen this much sand before. Okay, no. He had, but never inside. Never against the floorboards of his home, and never with such a... a...

Jumpy Pokemon.

Nye rubbed his forehead. The fire crackled, and every time a little bit of the coal snipped, the Sandygast seemed to give out a squeal of nerves. Duskull hovered above Nye's shoulder, watching with his curious, red eye. He was shrouded in the shadows. Nye could only imagine the way the Sandygast would jump if Duskull just... just... appeared.

And that's exactly what the damn Duskull did. Taking the pure opportunity to scare something, Nye felt the breeze of his starter move over his shoulder and past his left ear, and down towards the Sandygast. The shovel on the Sandygast's head seemed to tilt as Duskull appeared and before Nye could react, the piercing sound of, "GAAAAAAAAAST" seemed to fill the room. Nye pulled away quick, hands moving to cover his ears. This was way too loud.

"Duskull cut it out or I'll put you away," Nye warned. He heard the infamous little laugh of his first Ghost and sighed in irritation. The hole of Sandygast's mouth seemed to open and shut a little, and he was slowly melting into a pile of sand. Melting? Morphing? Nye couldn't really explain it. But he was definitely becoming a mound of sand.

The handler moved and let himself sit on his butt, as close as the Sandygast would let him, but also not close enough to touch. The Pokemon was still young. He had gotten it in a trade, but didn't have much information besides that. Level one. Still unsure of the world. Still new to everything. Passed through hands like clay on a podium, still soft and malleable. Nye figured he was scare, lonely, unsure; he needed guidance. He needed love. He needed protection.

Nye's eyes turned to look up at Duskull who hovered happily in the corner of the room, phasing himself in and out of the wall. So be it. Duskull was distracted, and Nye's eyes turned to the new Pokemon in front of him. "Alright, buddy. I haven't properly introduced myself," he had a splurge of new Pokemon lately, and he was determined to meet and bond with all of them. The Sandygast was the first one. They were all still new. They were all still babies.

Practically babies. Even Duskull was still a baby to Nye.

The Sandygast stared up at Nye nervously, jumpy still, almost as if waiting for Nye to make the worst move possible. Nye kept his hands on his thighs and didn't attempt to move forwards. He did, though, reach behind him to his bag and pulled out a Pokeball. He set it between them, although not reaching much into the Sandygast's space. It was a choice. One that Nye didn't say yet, but he had other things he wanted to talk about first.

"I'm Nye. I know you've had a rough start to your short life so far, but I can promise you that if you want to stay with me, you'll become stronger. We'll unravel your mysteries. I can't promise that you'll find them, but I'll try to help." Nye prodded his finger up towards Duskull which, surprisingly, got the other Ghost's attention. Sandygast's hollowed eyes looked towards Duskull with what Nye figured was a clear set of nerves.

"He's a really nice Pokemon, I promise. He just... likes to scare things. He scares me all the time, so don't think you're the only jumpy one. Lots of things scare me. Being alone, and not being a good handler, and Duskull sometimes scares me. And being afraid is okay. It's all about learning to overcome what makes you hesitant," Nye nodded as he turned his attention back to the Sandygast. He leaned forwards and let his chin rest on the palms of his hands, his elbows digging into his thighs. The Sandygast didn't move. It stayed in its pathetic little mound of sand and stared back at Nye.

"I don't think Kai suits you," Nye said after a long minute. The fire crackled. Despite being nervous, the Sandygast didn't seem to jump. Nye remained quiet for another moment, another few breathes, before he tilted his head. "I want to introduce you to someone."

Nye moved again, although it was just his top half. He pulled out another Pokeball, and rolled it so that the Pokemon was released. A little tan Pokemon with a green, spiky head popped out and it gave a little stretch. As soon as the Pokemon saw Nye, he bounced over to press himself close to his handler. It quietly stared at the pile of sand, trying to make heads or tails of it.

Nye moved and picked up the Chespin, setting the little Pokemon in his lap as he spoke, his voice smooth like silk as he talked with the Sandygast, "This is Bedwyr. He's gotten a bad start, too. He hatched from an egg in the middle of this crazy lady's house, and she was going to try and take him away. But he's okay. He's not afraid of things. He trusts that I'll keep him safe, and he'll keep me safe, too. And I want to do that to you, Sandygast. Kai. Whatever you want your name to be. Maybe you and Bedwyr can be the best of friends. He's a good Pokemon. You are too."

Nye grinned, his fingers scratching Bedwyr's tummy. The Sandygast watched curiously, although hesitantly. Nye knew it wasn't going to be easy, but he was willing to work towards it. He was willing to push the Sandygast out of its comfort zone just like he did with his other Pokemon. Nye tilted his head, "I think, if you decide to stay with me and try to become friends with Bedwyr, we'll call you Kay. The name of a warrior. The Warrior Pals."

It was Nye's lame attempt at making a joke. None of his Pokemon seemed to appreciate it. The Sandygast, though, did squint at him before the sand moved towards the Pokeball. With a touch to the button, and in a flash of red, the sand was gone. Kay had agreed to join him. Nye smiled, picking up the ball and holding it so he could study it, as if etching the thoughts into his memory.

"Welcome to the team, Kay. We'll make you into a good Pokemon. I promise."

--------------------

ArkBoaz "Ark" Reuter

| PM |
^
jadedragonette
 Posted: Jun 29 2018, 02:41 AM
| Quote |

Expert Handler
Background Mods
Total Posts: 783
Member No. 1874
Joined on 18-December 14.

Characters:
Katheryn Knighton, Edith, Leslie Witcher-Steele

Awards: 6

This was an absolutely adorable scene, though not much will be gained from it. Kai is now re-named Kay, but that's about it - you have, though, started work on getting him used to your team, so for now, he will gain the note of: Intrigued by Nye and his team.

That said: this was short and sweet, so your grade is short and sweet!

--------------------
Katheryn Knighton
Profile | Travels | Tracker

Edith

Leslie Witcher-Steele

PCR | Schism Tracker | Dream Teams
| PM || Email |
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Development | Next Newest »

| Options | | Add Reply || New Topic || New Poll |

RNG & Word Counter

Scrolling Affiliates & Listings

PokéFiends Living the Dream: a Pokemon RPG Mutant Revolution Online BTM affiliates Pokemon: Forever Forgotten

CODE
Skin designed by Daniel of Outline. Gen 6 Pokemon sprites from Smogon. Gen 7 Pokemon sprites from smogon.