Harper Region is temporarily a private site! Registration is temporarily disabled due to big site updates and due to both admins' life schedules -- moving and degree completion and internships. :) If you need to set up a new account or really, really, really want to register, email Rosalie at orosaliearto@gmail.com with "Harper" in the subject line !

Welcome to Harper Region

Important Links

Staff

Character Count: 101
Ml: 48 - Fml: 51 - Oth: 2
OR - 14 | R - 17 | H - 47 | G - 23

Quick Updates

Weather Conditions

Season: Autumn

With the cooling season of Autumn, Ice-types are starting to re-emerge from their hibernation as Ghost-, Normal-, and Flying-types swarm in the largest numbers they will all year. In comparison, wild Fire- and Bug-type populations are falling in number. The migration of Flying-types to the south in search of warmer weather has also started, as Istin City starts to re-freeze and Autumn marks the beginning of Cypwater Point's rainy season. Handlers and Rogues alike should be wary: Ghost-type powers are boosted during this season, at the cost of being more prone to their triggers.

Sister Sites

Pokemon: Terrene

Click here to vote for us once a day!
Our Topsite:
Harper Region Topsite

• Show Box
  • Hide Box

| Add Reply || New Topic || New Poll |

Training to gather power, Kat and her Pokemon
jadedragonette
 Posted: Feb 23 2017, 05:19 AM
| Quote |

Expert Handler
Background Mods
Total Posts: 766
Member No. 1874
Joined on 18-December 14.

Characters:
Katheryn Knighton, Edith, Leslie Witcher-Steele

Awards: 6

goals

Kat wasn't sure what to think about this newest development - she'd been hyped up on the news recently that more Pokemon were available now than ever before, and kind of jumped in the deep end after hearing that a certain service was being offered for free, for a limited time only. The Mages were offering to change the form of certain Pokemon, assuming the trainer had one, completely for free - which should have alerted her to something odd going on in the first place, but no, she was dead set on using the service. In fact, she hadn't done more than quickly asking Gaea if she even wanted the change - or was at least willing to change - before going ahead with it. Luckily for her though, after explaining it to the previously ground-typed Pokemon, Gaea was willing to try it (even knowing it was a permanent adjustment).

It was strange, Kat reflected afterwards, how much a simple change of typing could change the way a Pokemon looked and felt - but luckily for her and her team, it didn't seem to change how the Pokemon acted besides giving her a sharp-edged temper and sharper claws to match. She had grown a little bit in height and gained quite a lot of weight - that was likely the steel inside of her, and the icy shell she now bore - and yet, she still acted the mother-hen for Litae, reassuring the team that she was still Gaea even if she looked a little different now.

It wasn't until her first battle that Kat realized some more adjustment would be required, however. The previously ground-type Pokemon had been clumsy with her new powers, nearly freezing her own side of the battlefield with attacks poorly aimed - clearly, she would need some help adjusting. And despite the fact that it was cold, Kat actually had a decent idea of how to do it - assuming Khione would be willing to help out. And she'd be there as support as well, despite the cold - she'd just have to layer up a bit more, is all.

So she chose somewhere decently far to the north to travel to, somewhere that wouldn't be harmed by a little bit more snow and cold - she didn't want to harm temperate forests, even knowing it was winter, with the cold she knew her two little icicle-forming Pokemon could wield. It was bad enough that they'd likely damage the plants and trees in the north as well - she didn't want to kill off stuff that wasn't used to the temperatures if she couldn't help it.

With Gaea and Khione both out, she stood to the side and let them discuss it and plan a course of action - she didn't have a whole lot of experience with this side of things, after all, and was certain that the Pokemon could come up with far better ideas than she ever could. After all, Khione had been born a princess of the ice, and Gaea had been showing a more mature-than-expected side of herself since they'd met in the Shoppe...well, she'd just settle in and cheer them on, she supposed.

"So you let her change you, eh?" Khione bit out nervously - this was the first time she'd been left alone with the Sandshrew, and her nerves usually showed themselves with biting words. Gaea glanced at her then over at Kat, and she smiled just a little wistfully at the knowledge of what she'd lost.

"Yeah, but...she was right, you know?" Despite her new typing, Gaea's voice remained warm and comforting - very different from her cold and hard exterior. She cared about those around her, even this little, prickly Khione at her side - she knew that at least part of the Vanillite's prickliness was due to the icy princess being switched from the main team for the time being. "I'm more useful like this...or at least, I would be if I had control," Gaea's words became more of a mutter towards the end, bitterness coating every word - she was angry with herself for not having better control over her new powers, but knew that it was at least partially due to her previous weakness to the cold she now wielded so easily. The steel-sharp claws on her fists clenched slowly - that part of her, she thought with annoyance, had been far easier to control.

"Why she had to team me with you, I'll never know," Khione said bitterly, blowing at a bit of snow in front of her in anger. It sent a flurry of snowfall around the two, briefly engulfing the area in something approaching white-out conditions, before settling back down to the ground. She felt angered at the newcomer's seemingly dominant position in the group that Kat surrounded herself with - this Sandslash had come from nowhere and basically taken over her role, dammit!

"You know full well why - you're the only one of our group that stands any chance of teaching me." Gaea eyed the Vanillite at her side briefly, before shaking her head slightly. "That's not the real reason you're all snotty though, is it?" Her voice had gentled as she watched the Vanillite, who had just frozen and turned to her, face frozen in surprise. "No - you, little one, are afraid that your usefulness is done with now that I'm part of the party..."

Despite the fact that the Vanillite kept backing up, Gaea approached her slowly - as one would a cornered, dangerous creature. "It's okay, you know - she doesn't think any less of you. It's just...we both fulfill a need differently, and she likes to switch things up sometimes." She was getting closer to Khione, slowly but surely, even as the Vanillite continued to very slowly back away. Soon enough, she was close enough to touch - which Gaea did, engulfing the tiny Pokemon in her much larger, frozen arms. Khione was frozen in shock, then relaxed into the touch with a huff.

"That's not it," Khione said with a little bit of a sniff, an unseen haughty look on her face. "She just sees you as more worthy of being with her all the time - why you, and not me?" The hug didn't last long, but as Gaea pulled away, there was a soft look on her face - one so soft and warm that Khione couldn't help but look away.

"I don't know, little one - why don't you ask her, later? I'm sure she can answer more truthfully than I could - I don't know her very well, after all, being the newcomer..."

Khione shook off her sulk, and turned to glance over at Kat where she stood watching them - the Vanillite huffed again and turned away, towards the empty field of snow in the other direction. "Enough mushy stuff, now - we're supposed to be training you. I haven't actually seen you try this - how about you try a Powder Snow in that direction, so I can get a feel for what you're doing wrong?" Even though Khione would never admit it, the Sandshrew's words had hit something deep inside of her - and she would definitely get around to asking Kat about her reasoning in switching up the team later, but now it was time to focus.

Gaea looked at Khione then glanced back at Kat nervously, then nodded. Taking a deep, calming breath in, she gathered up her icy power and directed it into the attack - only, instead of it hitting straight ahead like she'd intended, it kind of ended up as a sort of whirlwind directly around the two of them, instead. When the snow finally settled down and both Pokemon fought their way free of the snow, they turned to each other in shock and started giggling.

"That certainly wasn't expected, by either of us I'm sure..." Khione eyed the cold snow around them, deep in thought, and eyed the Sandshrew shrewdly for several long moments. "Tell me - how do you gather the power for this?"

Gaea paused for a few long moments, eyeing the Pokemon beside it as it thought, before speaking. "I dunno, I just kinda of gather it in me, and tell it what to do - I never had this problem with the ground-type moves I used before..." Gaea grumbled, stomping fitfully on some of the snow nearby that she'd kicked up with that last attack.

"Hmm...that might be it, actually." Khione tilted her head to the side, eyeing the form of the Pokemon beside her before actually smiling at the Sandshrew. "After all - Ice isn't Ground, much as you might think so. It's...closer to water, I suppose." She hummed a moment, and looked around the field they stood in. "With Ice, you have to gather the power in you like always - then let it out in a cold stream, not all at once. I imagine Ground is different - the attacks are usually throwing mud or shaking the earth, not doing something like blowing freezing air or causing hail to fall. I think...oh, I know! Let's try this!"

She turned to Gaea and formed a ball of snow, focusing on her powers to form it in her hand rather than physically forming it out of the snow around them. She bounced in place and looked to Gaea, who looked at her like she was crazy - then she realized she hadn't explained a thing, just made a snowball. "Snowball fight - only, instead of gathering the snow from this field, we've gotta use our inner Ice to form it! It'll get you more used to how Ice works without doing near as much damage, and we can have some fun!"

Gaea still looked unsure - at least, until Khione had summoned and thrown some snowballs at her. Then, she looked vicious and ready for payback. Her first attempts were more ice than snow, but Khione took a moment to teach her how to use less power but more control - and soon enough the ice-balls were more snow than ice, and they got to playing. This bit, even Kat could join in on - well, the human wouldn't be able to form the snowballs out of the air like the Pokemon could, but there was plenty of snow around to work with after all - so both Pokemon decided it was the perfect time for the three of them to unwind...and if Gaea's snowballs started out more likely to bruise than puff into snow like a proper snowball, Kat was nice enough to not mention it, and by the time they stopped out of exhaustion and laughter, even Gaea's snowballs were made of pure snow.

All in all, it had been fun - a great memory in the winters to come, as well as a wonderful training experience for the Sandshrew.

--------------------
Katheryn Knighton
Profile | Travels | Tracker

Edith

Leslie Witcher-Steele

PCR | Schism Tracker | Dream Teams
| PM || Email |
^
Arty
 Posted: Mar 2 2017, 11:17 PM
| Quote |

Top Handler
Background Mods
Total Posts: 414
Member No. 1059
Joined on 21-June 13.

Characters:
Artemis Froste, Tybalt Cromwell, Cadence Mansel

Awards: 3

Writing Quality & Length: 5/5 (for Gaea)
Training Effectiveness/Plausibility/Creativity: 5/5 (for Gaea)
"WOW" factor: 0/2

Alright! The length, grammar and the technical things were all fine to me. I had not issue with anything as far as quality and length goes. It was long enough to keep my attention and get your point across. I thought the idea of having them throw snowballs was a creative way to teach better control over ice-type moves!

As for rewards/bonuses Gaea will get the full 10 EXP! Khione will get a reduced amount but not by much, getting 8 EXP. I decided to do this because Khione already has control over her ice powers and is only aiding in Gaea's growth and increased control. This being said, I feel that not as much effort was put in by Khione physically to warrant getting all the points. But because of her involvement and priority in the thread, she will get a good amount!

Gaea will also gain a 5% strength (Attack bonus) for ice-type moves!

Gaea grows to level 9 and learns rapid spin! Khione grows to level thirteen and learns Icy Wind!

--------------------

Cadence Mansel

All Characters
| PM |
^
jadedragonette
 Posted: Aug 22 2017, 02:33 AM
| Quote |

Expert Handler
Background Mods
Total Posts: 766
Member No. 1874
Joined on 18-December 14.

Characters:
Katheryn Knighton, Edith, Leslie Witcher-Steele

Awards: 6

goals

Kat had a plan. It wasn't the best plan, and it almost definitely wasn't the smartest plan, but in order to enact her plan - she had to strengthen her Pokemon. Not just one or two of them, either - but all of them. So she decided to take a bit of a shortcut - there were these candies, see, and she'd gathered...well, a few of them. She didn't know what effect they had on Pokemon, just that they were supposed to make her Pokemon stronger - so she decided to start with Gaea, her newly-evolved Alolan Sandslash.

Only, she fed the Sandslash all three at once, and now she had to find said Sandslash - after munching all three candies, Gaea had hopped in place a few times, then raced off faster than she could follow. Usually, the Sandslash was fairly slow and sedate - but whatever had caused this, had clearly given her some sort of mega-boost in that department. When she caught up, having followed Gaea's icy footsteps, she couldn't help but sigh and shake her head - just ahead, she could see her Sandslash taking on a pair of Machop.

As she made her way cautiously closer, she shivered at the cold in the air as hail started falling from the sky. Luckily, this was a fairly open part of Route 1, and so neither the cold nor the falling ice seemed to do much harm to their surroundings, even if it was a little bit early in the year for such weather. Soon after the hail started falling, the speed-boosted Sandslash called down two separate sets of icicles crashing down on the Machop, startling her with the sudden amount of strength - and she could see something coming through the trees, just out of sight for the moment, even as both Machop fell unconscious.

Gaea eyed her opponents for a few long moments, giving the strange figure plenty of time to sneak up. "Gaea, watch out!"

Unfortunately for the Alolan Sandslash, Kat's warning was just a little too late for her to try and avoid the Machoke's attack - but fortunately for her at the same time, they had worked on her resistance to fighting-type attacks, and thus she was able to (mostly) shrug off the damage that its attack normally would have done. She did stumble and slow down a bit, but she managed to get out of the way of its next attack, and she eyed it warily as it used a moment to focus and make it more likely to hit in her weak spots.

A veil of ice was instantly pulled up around the icy Sandslash, followed by another bunch of falling icicles, which caused the Machoke to back off slightly. Gaea was breathing heavily as the Machoke started to come closer once more, readying an attack to take her down - but she gathered her strength to cause a piercing metallic blast, the attack catching the Machoke in surprise and tossing the fighting-type to go tumbling back into the treeline. Gaea stood, wobbling a little but still upright, and Kat couldn't help but feel some amount of awe - that Machoke had to be at least twice as strong as the Sandslash, and yet she'd taken it down with relative ease before it had a chance to attack a second time.

She could hear some sort of crashing sound coming from deeper in the woods, though; she quickly recalled the ice-type and got the heck out of there, not wanting to fight whatever could make that much noise. She quietly marveled over the fairly-newly-evolved Pokemon's strength, scurrying off towards warmer climates - she knew that Gaea would need a bit of a rest after that, and intended to give said rest to her before attempting to use said strength in her journey to become a better person.

For now, her plans could wait - and with Gaea at her side, perhaps her plans weren't as far in the future as she thought.

---

brief battle summary

--------------------
Katheryn Knighton

Edith

Leslie Witcher-Steele

PCR | Schism Tracker | Dream Teams
| PM || Email |
^
Rosalie
 Posted: Oct 11 2017, 06:41 PM
| Quote |

It's a box of spiders.
Admin
Total Posts: 2321
Member No. 1
Joined on 19-March 10.

Characters:
Branson Faust, Rohesia Clements

Awards: 1

HI THIS ONLY TOOK FIVE THOUSAND YEARS IM SO SORRY LOVE.

Writing Quality & Length: 2/5
    Quality is fine, but it's quite short for a training thread, even for a basic battle -- I'd recommend focusing on what the pokemon is getting out of the battle more in the future for posts of this style, maybe writing it from the pokemon's perspective in first person, even, to really get to the nitty gritty of making connections and learning!
Training Effectiveness/Plausibility/Creativity: 2/5
    Similar comments to the above here! Effective and plausible definitely, and while creativity takes a backseat pretty often in a simple battle scenario, I feel like this could have been really brilliant but perhaps tiredness or distraction intervened. I think a follow up to this post that goes into a concentration of what was learned and perhaps practicing some specific maneuvers would be beneficial, if that sort of thing is a cup of tea!
WOW Factor: 0/2
    Sorry, it didn't stand out to me this time!

4 exp total to Gaea plus the candies stuff! <3 I processed the exp first so you get another level up into the bargain http://files.jcink.net/uploads/harperregion/sprites/emoticons/3.png

--------------------

user posted image-- user posted image --user posted image
Branson - - + - - Rohesia
« Pr & Tr » - - * * * - - « Pr & Tr »

(Sprites by Mackay)
Post Count Rewards
Old Characters: Tobias Middleton & Travels, Gineva Winstret & Travels

| PM || Email |
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Training | Next Newest »

| Options | | Add Reply || New Topic || New Poll |

RNG & Word Counter

Scrolling Affiliates & Listings
War Is Brewing
PokéFiends Living the Dream: a Pokemon RPG Mutant Revolution Online BTM affiliates Pokemon: Forever Forgotten deep in the meadow {warriors}

CODE
Skin designed by Daniel of Outline. Gen 6 Pokemon sprites from Smogon. Gen 7 Pokemon sprites from smogon.