Harper Region is temporarily a private site! Registration is temporarily disabled due to big site updates and due to both admins' life schedules -- moving and degree completion and internships. :) If you need to set up a new account or really, really, really want to register, email Rosalie at orosaliearto@gmail.com with "Harper" in the subject line !

Welcome to Harper Region

Important Links

Staff

Character Count: 101
Ml: 48 - Fml: 51 - Oth: 2
OR - 14 | R - 17 | H - 47 | G - 23

Quick Updates

Weather Conditions

Season: Autumn

With the cooling season of Autumn, Ice-types are starting to re-emerge from their hibernation as Ghost-, Normal-, and Flying-types swarm in the largest numbers they will all year. In comparison, wild Fire- and Bug-type populations are falling in number. The migration of Flying-types to the south in search of warmer weather has also started, as Istin City starts to re-freeze and Autumn marks the beginning of Cypwater Point's rainy season. Handlers and Rogues alike should be wary: Ghost-type powers are boosted during this season, at the cost of being more prone to their triggers.

Sister Sites

Pokemon: Terrene

Click here to vote for us once a day!
Our Topsite:
Harper Region Topsite

• Show Box
  • Hide Box

| Add Reply || New Topic || New Poll |

A Brief History of Harper, the Forum
Rosalie
 Posted: Sep 5 2012, 08:27 AM
| Quote |

It's a box of spiders.
Admin
Total Posts: 2321
Member No. 1
Joined on 19-March 10.

Characters:
Branson Faust, Rohesia Clements

Awards: 1

Now that more pokemon boards in this time period are cropping up, I felt like we needed to share a little bit about who we are and how we got here.
    Harper is built in the memory of one of the first, if not THE first medieval pokemon boards, Pokemon Kingdoms, which was run by Alexiel and Enrua. This board utilised many of the concepts that we have continued to use throughout our migration from board to board, such as: pokemon choices, unlimited movepools, realism in battles, lack of legendaries, and use of hand-to-hand combat. Unfortunately, both admins were forced away from the site by real life, and although a small group of us attempted to continue to run the site, it died.

Who are "we," you may ask? We, in my reference here, refers to myself, Ice Cold Glalie, and Eizer primarily, although other members from PK have also moved with us, like Hasekura, Hagr87, Metronome, Xia, The Treasure Ship, Flygonic Outlaw 101, Tanz, Moth, Kari, and Jacred. (message me if you should be on this list and are not)

Soon after the fall of PK, Temius was created by none other than Ice Cold Glalie. This was a departure from the medieval era theme and focused heavily on shadow pokemon. It did not last a very long time, but it was a fun site while it ran. Eizer and I staffed here under Glalie as well.

Following the closing of Temius, Eizer created Island of Esperia with the help of ICG, or Lyra Sparrow. Esperia was a return to the medieval era, a site made in homage to PK, similar to Harper. Like Temius before it, Esperia preserved some of PK's big things: starter choices, move pools, character combat, et cetera. It ran for a fair stretch, but eventually closed due to real life and health issues of the admins. The end of Esperia overlapped with the opening of Harper, but alas, the board was dead.

At this point, my part takes over. I missed PK, what was quite possibly my favorite game ever, and I couldn't find a replacement. Frustrated, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I had owned a board before and I had staffed on Temius and done some updates on PK following the admins' vanishing, so I was confident. Together with Nda, I modeled the most significant parts after old PK, parts I've mentioned a couple times now, and yet the region is its own. The lore/history is wildly different, there are no two warring kingdoms, and many aspects of the site we have now developed quite independently. As we stand before you now, we are arguably more developed than PK in our own way.

Our original board was hosted on IPBfree, a host that no longer exists. Unfortunately, the board and host vanished from the internet approximately two days before we were ready to open. ICG and Eizer were a huge help with finding google's cached pages and rescuing what we could -- rough drafts of the core information. Most of it ended up having to be rewritten, reconstructed, or completely re-created. It took quite a while for me to have the spirit to look at the forum again, and then a while longer to settle on Jcink as our host, but eventually I did. At this point, Nda had been entering one of the last parts of her college, and took something of a back seat as I launched the site, soon stepping into the shadows as background staff while ICG stepped up into the Co-Admin position. Harper Launched.

The rest, as they say, is history. We grew from a site with very few members into a site with over one hundred registered characters in about a year (many thanks to our original mods Janessa, Siffleuse, Kei, and Hagr87), from a crushing blow in the form of a vanished forum to a wonderful, active, relaxed site. I'm proud to see more non-traditional era pokemon boards popping up around, and I would like to think that we've inspired some of that either through becoming better known or through people seeing word of us, PK, or Esperia, and sticking with the idea of the time period.
For making us what we are today, I and all the rest of the staff thank you from the bottom of our hearts. http://files.jcink.net/uploads/harperregion/sprites/emoticons/3.png I hope that by sharing this bit of our journey to where we are today, you can appreciate why Harper is something of a hope to me and others of us who have migrated all the way back from Pokemon Kingdoms.

And if you're new to the site, genre, time period, or anything else, welcome to the Harper Region; come and be a part of our legacy.

--------------------

user posted image-- user posted image --user posted image
Branson - - + - - Rohesia
« Pr & Tr » - - * * * - - « Pr & Tr »

(Sprites by Mackay)
Post Count Rewards
Old Characters: Tobias Middleton & Travels, Gineva Winstret & Travels

| PM || Email |
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

| Options | | Add Reply || New Topic || New Poll |

RNG & Word Counter

Scrolling Affiliates & Listings

PokéFiends Living the Dream: a Pokemon RPG Mutant Revolution Online BTM affiliates Pokemon: Forever Forgotten

CODE
Skin designed by Daniel of Outline. Gen 6 Pokemon sprites from Smogon. Gen 7 Pokemon sprites from smogon.