Harper Region is temporarily a private site! Registration is temporarily disabled due to big site updates and due to both admins' life schedules -- moving and degree completion and internships. :) If you need to set up a new account or really, really, really want to register, email Rosalie at orosaliearto@gmail.com with "Harper" in the subject line !

Welcome to Harper Region

Important Links

Staff

Character Count: 101
Ml: 48 - Fml: 51 - Oth: 2
OR - 14 | R - 17 | H - 47 | G - 23

Quick Updates

Weather Conditions

Season: Autumn

With the cooling season of Autumn, Ice-types are starting to re-emerge from their hibernation as Ghost-, Normal-, and Flying-types swarm in the largest numbers they will all year. In comparison, wild Fire- and Bug-type populations are falling in number. The migration of Flying-types to the south in search of warmer weather has also started, as Istin City starts to re-freeze and Autumn marks the beginning of Cypwater Point's rainy season. Handlers and Rogues alike should be wary: Ghost-type powers are boosted during this season, at the cost of being more prone to their triggers.

Sister Sites

Pokemon: Terrene

Click here to vote for us once a day!
Our Topsite:
Harper Region Topsite

• Show Box
  • Hide Box

| Add Reply || New Topic || New Poll |

James Achilles's Travels, Ray
Carnivale
 Posted: Dec 14 2014, 11:11 PM
| Quote |

Peace and safety, friend.
Background Admins/Head Mods
Total Posts: 2105
Member No. 456
Joined on 22-July 12.

Characters:
Carmen Caldwell, Lahi Sharandi, Gilen Bassett

Awards: None

{ You know what to do, darling. http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz241/HarperRegion/Sprites/Emoticons/30.png }

The room was large but shadowed, two long candle rods placed on either sides of the door providing enough light until about the middle of the room, and seated there, only his elegant booted feet visible, knees crossed, was Trick Murray. From where he was Achilles could see nothing but the barest outline of his face, and that would be all he was allowed to see. Behind the couch where his new employer lounged stood Murray's bisharp, its fearsome eyes glowing a faint iridescent in the gloom.

"So I've heard," Murray said pleasantly, the words casual, soft, the tone unchanging even as he continued, "Very bold of you, to draw attention to yourself in such a way. I suppose since you so gallantly interrupted a quest I gave to those children in order to prove themselves and incidentally failed it for them, thus sealing their fates..." He uncrossed his legs and stood in one smooth, graceful motion, stepping forward, circling Achilles hands clasped behind his back and lidded eyes, "...I must take my compensations where I can get them."

Murray let the words sink in for a moment before adding offhandedly, "Well, if they are lucky, at least their deaths will be swift."

With that, he paced back to the couch and took his seat once again, reassumed his previous position, and steepled his fingers. Behind him the bisharp moved, and Achilles could hear the rustling of papers. A few seconds later he would hear Murray say, "Thank you, my friend" and see a letter held out towards him, clenched between long fingers. Clearly, he was to take it.

Once he had and backed away, Murray said, "In case your reading skills are less than adequate, that is a map. This city is as much mine to defend as it is Lyra Nox's, and seeing as she is no more than some foolish pimple-cheeked girl who thinks her station a joke, I must do double my part. Follow that map and locate the meeting point with my more experienced agents and tell them, 'Fourth toll to sunrise, Azumass Harbor, red feathers and blue shells.' They will know what to do."

Murray paused here, knitting his fingers together. His head seemed to move, likely tilting to the side. What the look on his face was like, Achilles could try to imagine.

"Hmmmm, I think I will entrust your next task to them." He waved a hand in a shooing motion. "Off you go. Make sure not to accept the help of any handsome dastard on the way, hm? I could always show you the bodies of those idiots, but you seem a wise and reasonable man."

And that was it. Achilles was dismissed, and it was advisable he made his way out of there as quickly as possible. Once he did, he was free to meet his starter pokemon, go shopping, or check on the map included in the letter - and find that it detailed a house or hut on Route Nine, seemingly quite off the main one. He might even need some form of water transport for it, but perhaps there was a path...

--------------------
PCR
Gilen Bassett
Profile --- Travels
|-|-|-|-|-|-|
Lahi Sharandi
Profile --- Travels
|-|-|-|-|-|-|
Carmen Caldwell
Profile ---- Travels
-
user posted image user posted image user posted image
| PM || Email |
^
Ray
 Posted: Feb 10 2015, 11:25 PM
| Quote |

Top Handler
Background Mods
Total Posts: 405
Member No. 1655
Joined on 16-June 14.

Characters:
Dionisia Bosc, James Achilles

Awards: 6

Achilles eyed the trick's domain, noting the placement of the candles and the light reflecting off the bisharp. He felt the pang of memory in his chest, but swiftly dismissed it. Now was no time to be nostalgic. Back to to his new employer, who had a taste for the dramatic, it seemed.

"I merely took an opportunity when I saw it. They would have failed anyway." It was foolish, he knew, to speak to the man; yet Achilles felt the need to defend his actions. His fingers twitched, wanting to clench into a fist. Murray had no need to know why he was here, nor why he had wanted this position so badly.

He took the map when it was offered, committing the code to memory. There was nothing more to do here. He had his orders. Achilles bowed and took his leave.

Cypwater Point was so unpleasant, with rain falling hard and heavy from the sky. He stopped at the first overhang he found, crouching down to massage his aching calf. Straightening up, his spine popped like an old man's, and he let out a soft groan. This damned rain would be the end of him. Secure in the knowledge he could dry safely, he pulled out the map Murray had given him. It seemed a good spot for a meeting place; off the beaten path, and defendable. Murray hadn't said anything about the need to hurry, so Achilles felt safe meeting his new pokemon before heading off. A rich lady could keep all manners of beast on her. He hoped it wasn't something cutesy or weak.

The Pokeball light flashed as he released its contents. White light formed into a sharp-toothed critter that came up to around Achilles' mid-thigh. It cocked a curious head at him, then seemed to take note of the weather. It winced as the raindrops hit its body, scurrying to try and fit under the overhang with its new handler. Achilles cocked an eyebrow at it. It looked fierce, but - it had shied away from the water like it had been burned. And what was it? He pulled out of his pokecard to read. "Female Tyrunt, huh?" he said, thinking to himself. "Rock and dragon. What an interesting combination." He had trained dragon-types before, but rock was new to him. He turned to face the Tyrunt. "Look, if you prove yourself useful, you'll get a name. But you're just Tyrunt for now."

Without checking for the Tyrunt's reply, he returned her to her ball. His next stop was the TM market - there ought to be something with which he could beef up the little dragon-type. Going from a full team to one pokemon was a hard adjustment, and Achilles was used to powerful moves and fully-evolved pokemon. The Tyrunt had a lot to live up to.

He was, he reckoned, about halfway there when he noticed something odd about one of the trees dotting the waterline. It shook more violently than the others, and when he stopped to watch it disgorged a round object, which landed a few feet away from him. The object shook once and did not move. Achilles stepped closer to check what it was - a discarded Pokeball, perhaps? When he was a foot away he noticed the coloring, hard to see in the rain. The small Seedot was drenched.

Well, he had been whining about not having a full team. He picked up the Seedot, cautious of its sharp bottom. What was it doing here? Seedot were hardly native to Cypwater. Perhaps someone had released it. The Seedot went willingly into the Pokeball he held up, which rocked twice before the ding of the capture sounded. He hooked the ball next to his Tyrunt's.

There - the market wasn't too much further. It took a little effort to dig through the current selections, but he came up with two TMs. "Ice Beam and Bulldoze. Here's 560 gold," he said to the owner of the stand. He hadn't been anxious to go before, but the weather was taking its toll. Once his gold had been counted and the TMs handed over, he headed quickly towards the exit of the city that would bring him to Route Nine. Murray would learn just who he had under his command.
[ egg count: one
seedot introduced from new year's goodies.
bought:
(1) TM 13 - Ice Beam
(1) TM 78 - Bulldoze
Achilles' total g is now 420. ]

--------------------
| PM |
^
Carnivale
 Posted: Feb 23 2015, 01:45 PM
| Quote |

Member No. 456
Joined on 22-July 12.

Characters:

{ 0.7 for you, ma'am. }

The TM merchant, a rotund man with brown skin and dark red clothes, smiled warmly at Achilles for his patronage - especially after he saw that his customer had enough gold to pay for his wares. The transaction went smoothly and Achilles walked away with two new items in his pockets. Quite a bit less gold, but sacrifices had to be made, yes?

His walk to Route Nine's gates was also uneventful, if one did not count the fact that the rain grew heavier overhead. People dashed to and fro in a hurry to get indoors, nearly running into him a few times, therefore clearing the (albeit muddy) road for his use without complaints. If Achilles was not inclined to seek shelter himself, he would be well on his way soon enough.

At least the gates had the sense to install an overhang, and the two guardians posted there did not even give Achilles a second glance. Their eyes were fixed in the sky above their heads, wearing expressions of identical hopelessness; only the manectric at the man on the right's feet lifted its head to glare at Achilles as he passed through, its eyes narrowed and nose twitching like it could smell sins. But it, too, lost interest quickly; the only one to hamper his progress lay beyond the gates, in the form of a thin teenage girl with wide, anxious blue eyes and brown hair braided fishbone style behind her head.

He first caught sight of her once he stepped clear of the threshold, as the girl was nestled against the wall to the left - and "nestled" was an appropriate word, with her shoulder pressed up against said wall, her arms crossed, her shoulders hunched. Then, like a bird, her neck extended, her head perked up, and her eyes zeroed in on him like an absolute-accuracy attack.

"SIR!" she cried and leaped forward into his arms, if he deigned to catch her. If not, she would grab onto one arm instead and refused to let go. "Sir, you've got to help me! My little brother - he went into the swamps all by himself, stupid kid that he is - and I don't have a pokemon. If- If you could be so kind as to help me, I'll..."

She let go of him, floundering desperately. "I'll pay you," she finished, lamely, and patted her brown dress in a self-conscious way. "I don't have much...but I promise I'll have something for you. The guardians over there won't help - they won't even send for someone. I- Please."

She looked up at him, eyes wide and pleading.

--------------------
PCR
Gilen Bassett
Profile --- Travels
|-|-|-|-|-|-|
Lahi Sharandi
Profile --- Travels
|-|-|-|-|-|-|
Carmen Caldwell
Profile ---- Travels
-
| PM || Email |
^
Ray
 Posted: Mar 4 2015, 07:11 AM
| Quote |

Top Handler
Background Mods
Total Posts: 405
Member No. 1655
Joined on 16-June 14.

Characters:
Dionisia Bosc, James Achilles

Awards: 6

[ egg count: two
lol this is so short ;~; ]
    He'd thought it before, but it became like a mantra: this damn rain was going to be the end of him. He thought it when he stepped on a downed flyer, when rain had soaked his hair and his boots, when his footwraps squelched with every step he took. He was going to have a long talk with his mother when he saw her again. This water was ridiculous.

He continued on walking, looking increasingly like a drowned rattata. Patrick would've laughed, his short hair making sure he didn't look the same, but after he would dry Achilles off, and then - he needed to stop thinking. That life was over. Patrick was dead. His team was dead. Now, all he had were the two pokemon on his waist and one purpose. Vengeance. Beyond that there was nothing.

His musings lasted him to the gate, where he tilted his head haughtily at the guards. The overhang was a welcome respite from the torrent, but he couldn't spend too much time there. He had a job to do, after all.

The girl was unexpected. He did not startle. Startling was for people who had not spent ten years traveling around Harper, taking jobs that ranged from brilliant to disastrous. (A particular incident with a Lickilicky came to mind.) What happened was this: his hand went to his belt, ready to toss out a pokeball at a moment's notice. He sidestepped her attempt to fall into his arms, leading her to latch on like she was a shellder to his slowpoke.

He not-so-gently disentangled her, and was about to walk away before she started speaking. It had to be a kid. Brats were his weakness. He sighed, hating himself for wanting to help. He had a job to do, dammit. And it was his first one. And he needed to - and she looked like she might start crying any second.

"Alright. Kid. This is how this'll work. You'll tell me what I'm getting up front, where your brat likely is, and I'll go and try to find him. If it turns up he's dead, I still want my pay. If I have to fight some kind of rogue pokemon or human, I'll want more. If it takes me more than four hours, I'm giving up. You won't have to pay me then. That clear?" That said, he stepped back, waiting for her to reply. No matter the price, he'd take the job. Murray hadn't specified a time for him to get to the meeting place. Maybe he'd get lucky and the brat would be near there.

Probably not.

Arceus, he hoped she wasn't going to start crying.

--------------------
| PM |
^
Carnivale
 Posted: Mar 11 2015, 09:42 PM
| Quote |

Member No. 456
Joined on 22-July 12.

Characters:

{ 0.5 for you. It'll get better I promise. }

Achilles was right. The girl did start crying, though it was out of relief when she heard his answer rather than from grief. "Oh, thank you," she gushed, covering her mouth and looking at him with glittering eyes. "I- I can't- Ah, excuse me."

She turned away from him and breathed deeply for a few seconds before clearing her throat and searched through the pouches at her belt until she came up with a few gold coins. The young lady counted them with an agonized face, then shook her head and looked at him again, hopefully this time. "I have more, I promise! They're at home, but I can...I can pay you a hundred's worth right now." She held out the money for him to take. "I just got paid last night - the last customer was gene- Um. I...I'll pay you another four hundred once you..."

The girl trailed off, pressing her lips together like she was trying not to cry a second time. "He is alive," she said resolutely, though one could not tell whether she was talking to herself or him. "Once you bring him back, I will pay another four hundred - he can't have gone far, but he'd left the main path so if you look to the east of the route maybe he'd be there. If...If anything at all happens to him or you, I'll make it...I'll make it six hundred! That's...that's all I have."

And Achilles took it.

He left the gates behind with the din of the young woman's breathless thanks filling his ears. She promised that she would be there to wait for him once he returned with the money they had "agreed" upon. Her face was guileless and full of hope as she watched him go, and remained that way until he could no longer neither see nor hear her.

As though in recognition of his good deeds, the weather let up. The threatening promise of rain postponed itself and the next thirty minutes of fast walking was done in a pleasantly cool atmosphere. Whatever the season, the swamp was filled with life; Achilles heard the chirping of birds and the swift shapes of small mammals swinging from the trees and hear the churning of water beneath the Walk where water-types waded. No clues, however, told him of a previous human presence. The rain would have wiped away any traces of footprints on the wooden walkway anyhow, and the only detail the nameless woman had been able to tell him about her brother was that he had gone "east."

Finding a break in the path that led east, at least, did not take long. There were several literal breaks in the Walk's railing to the right hand side, and there was one official path that led further into the jungle at the end of the half-hour walk. It looked decrepit and liable to break, and the rotten wood creaked dangerously under Achilles's feet if he dared to try it. But it would hold.

It would be the most promising path to take should he wish to hunt for the boy.

...Though you never know. Few men would continue on such a search upon realizing that their money pouch - as well as the hundred gold pieces paid in advance - had mysteriously disappeared.

What's that? He might want to catch the Angryman Express back to the gates and punch the "young woman with a missing brother" in the face?

Well, that was just too bad, because Achilles simply being there seemed to have anger something, because at that moment as he tried to lift his foot, a blob of ultra-sticky silk splatted against his ankle and glued him to the planks he was standing on. Above his head a flash of green fell on his face, its fangs bared with a potentially venomous attack. Beneath his feet, too, something green-blue and squishy oozed onto the path, its little eyes narrowed as it fired off a Mud Slap right near his face.

---

Ambushed By the Bitch Squad

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz241/HarperRegion/Sprites/167spinarak.png http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz241/HarperRegion/Sprites/e335251.gif Lv. 05
- Used String Shot on Achilles's foot so he can't move away
- Falling down on his face with a potential Poison Sting

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz241/HarperRegion/Sprites/422shellos.png http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz241/HarperRegion/Sprites/e335251.gif Lv. 05
- Used Mud Slap in case Spinarak missed

That Other Bitch You Shouldn't Have Trusted

user posted image
Carni http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz241/HarperRegion/Sprites/e335251.gif Lv. 50

"The Young Woman With a Missing Brother"

You lost all your money. For now.

--------------------
PCR
Gilen Bassett
Profile --- Travels
|-|-|-|-|-|-|
Lahi Sharandi
Profile --- Travels
|-|-|-|-|-|-|
Carmen Caldwell
Profile ---- Travels
-
| PM || Email |
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Cypwater Point | Next Newest »

| Options | | Add Reply || New Topic || New Poll |

RNG & Word Counter

Scrolling Affiliates & Listings

PokéFiends Living the Dream: a Pokemon RPG Mutant Revolution Online BTM affiliates Pokemon: Forever Forgotten

CODE
Skin designed by Daniel of Outline. Gen 6 Pokemon sprites from Smogon. Gen 7 Pokemon sprites from smogon.